Aerial Photo to 3D print

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here would like to 3D print scenes that they fly over?

I'm trying to gauge interest in a service that would convert any aerial photos into 3D printed objects (see the attached PDF). The final result is a perfect literally "one-of-a-kind" full color replica.

The size of the 3D print determines the final cost, but for the size shown in the PDF an approximate cost for the service (3D print delivered to you) would be between $175-275.

I would love your feedback! Please ask any questions if what I have posted is not clear.

Thanks!
Thad

Attachments

• Aerial Photo to 3D print.pdf
    943.8 KB · Views: 419
Reactions: BigAl07
Very interesting project.

So we would send you the photo or would we need to take images from a special ap/program and send those to you? What about something like a house/yard? Is that possible? I do a lot of Real Estate photography and could see where this might be one product that could add some WOW to a demonstration.

Very interesting project.

So we would send you the photo or would we need to take images from a special ap/program and send those to you? What about something like a house/yard? Is that possible? I do a lot of Real Estate photography and could see where this might be one product that could add some WOW to a demonstration.

You would just upload the photos to me. For the lighthouse example I captured a few 100 photos with a phantom 2 and gopro set to take a photo every 2 seconds. If your already using a program like drone deploy, that program can export 3D surfaces, so in that case you would simply upload the 3D surface which we would then process into a printable file.

Yes, we can do a house and yard. I think it would be a cool example for real estate, or maybe even as a memory for the seller (if they have had the house for a long time).

You would just upload the photos to me. For the lighthouse example I captured a few 100 photos with a phantom 2 and gopro set to take a photo every 2 seconds. If your already using a program like drone deploy, that program can export 3D surfaces, so in that case you would simply upload the 3D surface which we would then process into a printable file.

Yes, we can do a house and yard. I think it would be a cool example for real estate, or maybe even as a memory for the seller (if they have had the house for a long time).
I just shot a multi-million $$$ that has been on the market for 300+ days. I'll run it up the pole and see if she's interested.

@BigAl07 Okay. Maybe it has value in that way.

There are some shortcomings to the process. Here is a model of a house made by photos - Farm House by Geo-4D UAV - 3D model. You can see in a few tight spaces and near trees the 3D surfaces look a little weird, or inaccurate. These are just some things to be aware of, the end product is not exactly the same as if an artist made a painted model of the house. I would say it is more realistic/accurate, but at the same time there could be some errors or wonky surfaces here and there too.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's pretty much what I've seen to date on other similar attempts. I'll run it by the Realtor and see if she's up for a sample to see how it turns out. Never know if you don't ask :)

There would certainly be a business in it.

Many architectural firms use the SRTM or satellite data to create topographical 3D maps. Rather than printing this out, its cut on a huge CNC machine and then finished by hand with any foliage/trees. Any building sites will have a free slot (the houses of which are generally 3D printed) so that it can simply be dropped in at a later date. It's becoming an industry standard, but they would much rather outsource this type of work than spend hours getting it done themselves.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of setting up my business to provide aerial videography services to local realtors and developers; am extremely interested in this please pm with contact info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic