Aerial Freaks Cyclops Vision Brushless Gimbal

Thank you guys for testing and showing results!
I've been working on a Chinese gimbal and still have too much jello for my liking.
I was wondering what flight times you had compared to prior?
Have any of you weighed the gimbal?
How does the Phantom balance with the gimbal(not the gimbal itself) - is it nose heavy, neutral, back heavy?

When you are happy with the performance could you post a video, preferably non edited, in 1080p 30fps, during a bright sunny day doing some forward flight (at least jogging pace)?
Reason being thats when jello/vibrations will be most noticeable.
In any case thanks for what you have already posted. :D

Weight is 201g as stated recently ;)
__image.jpg

I had a couple quick questions concerning aerial freaks new gimbal prior to buying it. I am using a vision 2.

1. Can the camera go to nadir angle? This angle faces the camera to what is directly below.

2. What is the new flight time when using this with the phantom vision 2?

Thanks for the help!

Question. Why haven't the forum readers jumped all over this gimbal and thread??? It seems to be as good as any of the other alternatives, it's reasonably priced, and it's in stock! You can have it tomorrow. The Rotorpixel gimbal and thread went viral, but this one has almost died???

The only explanation I can come up with is that the gimbal market has become saturated and the demand has finally been met. Also I guess most new buyers are purchasing the Phantom 2 Vision+, with a 3-axis gimbal in the box at almost the same price I paid for the P2V back in December. Can't blame them for that.

At any rate, thanks to Macuser13 and Piranha for all their valuable testing and feedback and for having the nads to be the guinea pigs. My new gimbal is coming in today's mail, so I'm hoping it works well.

Good Flying!

Ron Wilson

After seeing MacUser and Pirannas videos I ordered the gimbal with overnight shipping. I had emailed rotorpixl to see if they had caught up on their backlog and they did not respond. I was also unsure about that design as cradle covers the side of the camera that says do not cover.

I received the gimbal the next day. Fed Ex had destroyed the package, but the packaging inside was so well done that even thought the plastic shell was shattered the gimbal was unharmed. Installed the gimbal per macusers video (including the 3 screws upside down) and fired it up. Worked straight out of the box. First test I flew was on a very gusty day that I normally would not have even bothered flying on and the results were a massive improvement over stock. The phantom was having to pitch so hard to fight the wind that the prop guards were dipping into the video but the video itself was stable, just minor jitters (I haven't tuned the gimbal yet and I think the cabling wasn't quite tidy and interfering with the gimbal).

I am waiting to do the final tuning once I have seen piranhas settings and once my lens filters come in this week. I will post video of the first flight, straight out of the box as well as the tuned flight later this week. The only oner thing I can say about this is that I ordered the tall/wide landing skids as the gimbal rides really low. Once those are installed, I may remove the prop guards as they act as a sail catching more crosswind then without them and I primarily added them to keep the phantom from tipping on landing which may be resolved by the wider skids.

For about $330 shipped overnight including the lens filter kit you really can't go wrong with this gimbal. I had debated on buying a phantom vision+ and now I can punt that until the next revision or until DJI comes up with a smaller folding version of the s1000. The s800 will lift my GH3, but the folding makes transport more flexible.

I am also watching reviews of the ZERO TECH UAV HIGHONE DRONE. At $5665, the $1000 that this gimbal just saved me vs buying a new vision+ would make it a sub $5000 net upgrade later this year.

Yep, this seems to be a good deal. I am an ex-rotopixel wait lister, cancelled last month. Saw this thread last week, and with a "what the hell" ordered one on Thursday night. It arrived today, and about an hour later I'm hand flying around my apartment (rainy day here unfort) looking forward to trying it out for real. I expect I'll need to learn the fine tuning of the controller, as I currently don't have a clue, but out of the box, it' looks terrific. For $300 and two days? Hard to beat.

Here was my first video in the raw:

http://youtu.be/xldKeF4R9GM

The gimbal was a bit jittery but it was because of the way I had the wires bunched together. I have solved this issue at least at the dining room table, and I will do a full gimbal calibration using Macuser and Piranha's settings once my lenses show up. It has been crazy windy and I just don't see the point in trying to fine tune it in this muck.

Thanks for the information. I did get a reply back from the dealer regarding the vibration/jello effect. He said DJI told him it had to do with the gain settings to high. Possibly this can be changed in the software. If I get one I will try different gain settings to see if it will remove some of the vibration. I also think the rubber cushion mounts are made of to hard a rubber...not as soft as DJI original Phantom 2 Vision mount. Anyhow....I am really sick about dropping $400.00 on the Rotorpixel gimbal with the possibility of never seeing it any time soon.....by soon it could be 3-4 months. I will probably buy this one and just pray the Rotorpixel shows up.

I have to say im really impressed with some of your guys videos that your uploading. it looks really good! Glad the gimbal has proven to work with multiple users without any flaws so far.

Im still getting vibration in mine and the whole gimbal itself seems to shake really. Iv tried different setting at first but iv been so busy with clients and shooting things i havent had a chance to tune it anymore or do some testing to see if its blades or what. Im still curious what settings everyone is going with, weather it was mine or Piranha, or maybe a little of both. Right now untill i can get some down time and some more testing im just shooting and rendering vibration removal at the moment. Still looks GREAT even at slow-mo.

Ya know every time i go up i always forget to set a timer to test battery life. I know its shorter because it catches me off gaurd with the alarm goes off. so i know it has to have shortened it a few mins atleast. I will try to get to it this weekend and see what happens, but for now, off to process some more photos and videos. Happy flying and good luck! ;)

Hm, what jello r u talking about? I ca not see it in my video, anyway for me dampers is the right one, actually they are not hard, enough soft for the gimbal weigh

Anyway here my settings for my first video, but I Am sure that they are not optimal, need some more playing with gimbal
___image.jpg

Hey Piranha,

Thanks for posting your settings. So far you seem to have the smoothest results. I will be giving these a try sometime this week when the weather cooperates. For anyone else considering the gimbal, it was $330 with overnight shipping that installed in under 30 minutes. I had looked at every other vision gimbal and ruled them all out on a price/performance/hassle basis and had resigned myself to picking up a vision+ but now I think I have something reasonably close for a grand less. I also think that with only a hand full of these being out for only a couple of days, the initial footage is looking way better than the early Drone expert and rotrpixl gimbals. I can only imagine the footage will get better as more people tune and tweak.

Also, if I can get mine as smooth as Piranha's with his settings, then my trusty vision can cover me until I get a platform for putting my gh3/gh4 in the air. Our next issue is the fisheye and correction, poor lowlight performance and other issues inherent the limitations of action cams in general.

I will receive my gimbal tomorrow in germany. Ordered on thursday. I also canceled my order by rotorpixel before.

I decided for faster shipping and 54$ UPS.
You have to know, yesturday/monday is an public holiday in germany.

Piranha said:
Anyway here my settings for my first video, but I Am sure that they are not optimal, need some more playing with gimbal
___image.jpg

Im not seeing much jello in your video thats why i was curious on your settings.

See mine are even that close to yours, believe my P's were in the 8 area and my D's are alot higher. Plus my power is from the factory around 140 or something. with the + at 40 something.. I will have to check this on my return home. Thanks for posting your setting though. :D

I noticed that your using 12 as your poll settings? Did you change this? mine from the default was 14. Even when i tried the auto it seem to want to pick 14. I could see why this would cause issues if thats the case.

I tried to buy from Aerial Freaks web shop. When in ""Confirm order" phase system returns:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/urakopte/public_html/checkout_process.php on line 289

Ohers having similar problem?

Also sent them email 7 hours ago, no responsa.

macuser13 said:
Piranha said:
Anyway here my settings for my first video, but I Am sure that they are not optimal, need some more playing with gimba

I noticed that your using 12 as your poll settings? Did you change this? mine from the default was 14. Even when i tried the auto it seem to want to pick 14. I could see why this would cause issues if thats the case.

Oh, Man, correct is 14, it was just my small mistake, but believe me, 12 or 14 pole is does not make big difference!!!
What really can cause some jittering-is high P or high Power setting, so first of all I recommend you to decrease POWER settings and remove all "+" to zero (it used when you have big heavy camera and weak motors so max POWER=255 is not enough)
also one more thing try to decrease "gyro thrust i advanced section to something near 70(default is 100)"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20