AEB Exposure Bracketing Problem

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the auto exposure bracketing ("AEB") feature. When this is active I indeed get either 3 or 5 bracketed exposures, but the metadata in each file shows the exposure of the normal or base shot. In other words, if ISO 12800; shutter speed 1/60; aperture f/2.8 is the exposure for the base image, then all 3 (or 5) bracketed images will show that in the metadata, even though visually they are indeed bracketed. That is definitely not the way a DSLR works.

This causes PTGUI to fail to recognize that the images are bracketed, and defeats an HDR merge. So an HDR panorama won't generate.

Lightroom reports the metadata as the exposure, but will merge the images to a sort of HDR image. The histograms for the bracketed images looks right.

By far the best program to deal with this is Aurora HDR 2017. This program accurately reports the exposure value differences (e.g., it is ignoring the incorrect metadata) and merges the images. The output looks good.

This errant metadata issue happens whether I have the exposure on auto or manual, and I have not activated the AE lock. (that is turned off in any case when you are in M exposure mode).

FWIW, the order for AEB on the card for 3 bracketed images is N, -.7 EV, +.7 EV and for 5 bracketed images is N, -.7 EV, +.7 EV, -1.4 EV, +1.4 EV. Frankly I would prefer to be able to change the exposure values, but I will take what I am given.

I am having an issue with the auto exposure bracketing ("AEB") feature. When this is active I indeed get either 3 or 5 bracketed exposures, but the metadata in each file shows the exposure of the normal or base shot. In other words, if ISO 12800; shutter speed 1/60; aperture f/2.8 is the exposure for the base image, then all 3 (or 5) bracketed images will show that in the metadata, even though visually they are indeed bracketed. That is definitely not the way a DSLR works.
There have been a few recent posts on this.
Search for AEB and you should find them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers