Advise post crash please

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for advise post crash. I got a little cocky after having my phantom advanced for a month and then crashed. Hit a tree and dropped 20 meter. Battery came out and that is done - cracked and lights wouldn'g go off. I have replaced this now.

There is also some damage on the shell, a little denting and very dlight coming apart on one of the arms.

I have booted it up and everything else seems ok. Question is should I fly it, are there any tests I should do. I am hoping it is more cosmetic damage and wont effect anything. I hovered a foot while in the gardent and it seemed ok.

Over the next couple of months I will replace the shell I think but thats another £50 when I have just spent £110 on a battery.

Photos of the arm

Attachments

• 20160830_205945.jpg
    20160830_205945.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 453
I suggest that you Recalibrate the drone.
Do a cold IMU and gimbal calibration, before taking it back out and recalibrate the compass. I would also only take it up 10' and hover around, near vicinity, flying in close, paying attention for any deviation in flight or motor sound.

Worry more about internal carnage, not only external cosmetics . . .
The heart of the matter. ;-)

Seeing the picture now, you are very lucky. Could have been far more worse.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I would go over the entire craft with a magnifying glass looking for cracks. Be sure to check the props carefully. Flex them slightly as you look. Then I'd take off the top and go over every connection with the magnifying glass. Push down on all the connectors. Make sure you don't have any cracked solders. Don't forget the GPS module on top. Some would advise an IMU calibration.

When you do the test flight, keep it real low for a few mins to be sure the AC is okay.

Reactions: sonof40

I don't know - that arm looks pretty bad.

I actually think it looks worse on the photo than for real. I am going to replace the shell I think but want to fly in the mean time.

I have watched youtube videos on doing it. Is it pretty straight forward? How long can I expect it to take?

With the arm cracked and creased like that, the structural strength is very low and any twisting or levering could possibly cause the arm to bend and the prop has changed it's angle compared to the other three...
VERY bad idea to do much, if any flying in that condition!

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Right ok. Anyone post me a link of the shell I should buy.

Please tell me this is as straight forward as it looks in the youtube videos i have watched.

Hover it, and see what happens if you need to know for sure. Or shelf it, until the repairs have been completed. I have multiple drones and two SIM versions of, including www.RealFlight.com/drone.
Yet, I about love my Phantom 3 Pro, over all, so I understand. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I am sure that most on this board have done it, or still do it, and it's only a matter of time before something stupid happens....
Of course, I NEVER have done ANYTHING like this! Yeah right!
It takes alot to admit your mistake, but hey... these things are for FUN even IF ya push it a little too much!

It's all part of growing up, in the RC hobby. Take your licks, and bounce back like never before. Hope we all learn many lessons from these various crash-success's & stories of Embarrassment and Shame. But you know, If you think you feel bad, do we Pilots ever consider the darned drones perspective? Wounded, and bent out of shape, slapped silly beyond belief. All for your immediate fun. Ha
I like the ones who get entangled in a tall thick overgrown spruce giant. They they post a lovely hi def picture requesting us to point it out. Chuckles

Don't feel bad, we have all been there, & some will arrive soon. Ha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: pomonabill220
@RHP....True True
Hey, wouldn't this make a TERRIFIC horror movie?!?!?! "Quad gets revenge after being thrashed" or something like that....
Props get razor sharp edges and unlimited battery life? Ignores any and all remote contact. Seeks revenge on operator.... etc.
OOOOO scary! :eek:

@RHP....True True
Hey, wouldn't this make a TERRIFIC horror movie?!?!?! "Quad gets revenge after being thrashed" or something like that....
Props get razor sharp edges and unlimited battery life? Ignores any and all remote contact. Seeks revenge on operator.... etc.
OOOOO scary! :eek:
You show your newness here, in not realizing it's all pretty much been done before. ;-)
There are already drone horror flicks available, for all the squeamish nail biters amongst us. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

No....I did know they were around... I was just making a goofy comment but yes, seems like any time an unusual product comes out, the minds in the film industry go wild with ideas... some are great too!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl