Advice on which Phantom to buy....

Reaction score
So, I know this will be a bit of a debate, but I am looking for my first real drone. I have a small cheapo one I have used to train on (cheap to crash :) ), but want to get something real now. I am planning on using the new part 107 FAA rules to operate, focusing on real estate photography and video, however also working in crop and farm management. Eventually I would like to get into IR work also, but that will have to wait a bit.

All that said, I am really looking between the P3 Professional and the P4. I have toyed with the idea of even going to a P2 (IR would be easier), or an Inspire 1. So the field is really open.... I am paying for this out of pocket, so $ does count.

I will get lessons from a certified school locally who trains the law enforcement for the area to fly. I am quite willing to go pre-owned, but there are so few p4s used, that the P4 would probably be new.

Thoughts on which would be best? Pros and cons of each?

p3 advanced $599 on amazon right now would jump all over that fast

If money counts P3a..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What am I loosing (other than 4k and the "don't smack things" sensor) between P3A and P4? And I saw a P3A at B&H for $559

I started with a P3A a month ago and upgraded my camera/gimbal to a P3P's only for the higher downlink speed, giving a clearer live FPV. If you're primarily doing high-altitude flight and photos/video, an Advanced would be fine. I like to go low-and-slow beneath trees just for fun, and that's where the Advanced's downlink wasn't fast enough to make it safe and fun. Man, $559? I'd buy that Advanced for sure and then trade gimbal/cam up to a Pro if you felt you needed it!

Welcome to the party :) you won't regret it!

Unfortunately, buying today isn't an option, but hopefully they will hold that price for a week or so... Thoughts on which will serve the best in a professional setting?

What am I loosing (other than 4k and the "don't smack things" sensor) between P3A and P4? And I saw a P3A at B&H for $559

I saw the deal for $559. It doesn't include the transmitter. By the way though, I would wait until Prime Day (July 12th) because there could be some great deals on other quadcopters like the p3p or p4 between now and then. With that said, because I only fly for hobby, I ordered the P3A today for $599 from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Unless you think the P3A is your best option, in which case I would order that right away from Amazon, because it will be out of stock in a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Been seeing great pricing on the standard & advanced at amazon.com, amazon.ca and standard at NCIX.com looks like a big push to move stock....maybe a Phantom 4 Standard on the way?

If you're real estate photography will include flying between buildings where you could get GPS Multipath Error and if you're going to fly indoors, then the P4 has the most recent technology to enable that kind of flying. The P4 does it better than the P3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P4 is a great, but I don't think it's that much of an upgrade to make it worth extra cost. And go with the P3 advanced over the standard. The range of the advanced is so much better than the standard, and not much more money.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I am planning on using the new part 107 FAA rules to operate, focusing on real estate photography and video, however also working in crop and farm management.

There is no need to bump up to a P3P for the 4K video for what you are trying to do. Most computers can't even handle that level of video. (I'm not sure most real estate broker's computers can handle 2.7K) The P3A will do a fine job for what you are going to do.

SB

If you're real estate photography will include flying between buildings where you could get GPS Multipath Error and if you're going to fly indoors, then the P4 has the most recent technology to enable that kind of flying. The P4 does it better than the P3.

Here's an example of real estate photography that you wouldn't want to try with a Solo or a Yuneec

Here's an example of real estate photography that you wouldn't want to try with a Solo or a Yuneec
Why not exactly. I don't see anything complicated about that at all. It is a flight past a tree. Not really a big deal.

The limited view to the sky can cause GPS signals to bounce/reflect off the buildings and provide the drone multiple GPS signal from the same satellite and confuse the drone. This happened with my Q5004k which flew erratically in the same location. Solo is well known to not like being too close to objects. The P3 & P4 overcome this at low altitudes with their downward facing optical stabilization.

Well, I should have updated this sooner, but I have been too busy flying. I ended up getting a P3P with only 5 flights on it, verrified through the batteries. The guy just didn't use it, so I made and offer for $800 with 2 batteries and he took it. Really enjoying it, and of course learning.

There is no need to bump up to a P3P for the 4K video for what you are trying to do. Most computers can't even handle that level of video. (I'm not sure most real estate broker's computers can handle 2.7K) The P3A will do a fine job for what you are going to do.

SB
Sorry sir but are you from the stone age? A mere $1000 computer handles 4K content fine - it's editing, not visual effects.

Just to confirm - the downlink from P3A to remote/mobile device is slower than P3P, is this correct?

I don't know myself, but my laptop isn't happy with 4K for sure. That said, I knew it was a lightweight when I bought it, so that's OK. Sort of knew going into this I would need to get a new one.

Sorry sir but are you from the stone age? A mere $1000 computer handles 4K content fine - it's editing, not visual effects.

Just to confirm - the downlink from P3A to remote/mobile device is slower than P3P, is this correct?

Nope.... but none of the relators I work with have computers that can play 4K video without it being a jerky mess. So don't take a thumb drive in their office and try to sell them something that they aren't going to like. That's why I say a 2.7K aircraft is fine.

SB

Nope.... but none of the relators I work with have computers that can play 4K video without it being a jerky mess. So don't take a thumb drive in their office and try to sell them something that they aren't going to like. That's why I say a 2.7K aircraft is fine.

SB
I was referring to a $1000 stationary computer, maybe you are referring to a laptop. In any case I am suprised that kind of laptop cannot play 4K - my Macbook Air from 2012 could play 4K content on youtube just fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4