Advice on Shell Repair

Reaction score
I'm a new Phantom 3 owner, my first drone.

Unsurprisingly I had a crash which has cracked the shell in one spot and bent it on another (see the attached pictures). The drone still works, however the offending arm's propellor comes in contact with the arm at the tip of the blade.

My question is about repair. Is a new top required? Or is the damage small enough that I'm able to remove and re-position back into place?

Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

20170217_073532.jpg
20170217_073538.jpg
20170217_073549.jpg

I would replace the shell. The bottom half is also bent as the prop now hits the arm, the motor is secured to the lower half. It is not possible to tell externally if there is any internal damage, or any connectors shaken loose, so a good opportunity to check inside.
I think you can only buy a complete shell, not separate halves.

The kit, which includes top, bottom, landing gears (I think with compass), and screws is $60
Strange considering if you send it to DJI the shell halves are $8 each. They charge a lot in labor though. I suppose the labor charge is reasonable though, it's tedious to replace the shell and a pain to get it open with all those clips.
You probably are better off with a new shell. The arms tend to develop cracks at the bottom near where the motor mounts even without crashes or rough landings.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've seen top halves only being sold on ebay. Wouldn't hurt to check, that is if you only intend on replacing the top.I would replace top and check ALL connections. Also I've seen chop shops on ebay, that sale the top and bottom halves a little cheaper. They basically take out All electronics and piece them out on ebay.Just my opinion. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T217S using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj