Advice on improving flying skills

Reaction score
I think I've seen almost every youtube video on first time flying, basic flight training, how to avoid this and that, what not to do, etc. Now that I have over hundred flights in my logbook, I'd love to try and hone some flying skills, maybe even learn a few tricks just to entertain the locals where I am in Brazil. Not that I'm bored... I just want to push the boundaries of the phantom a little more. I've seen a few cool video of guys showing off in manual mode, and I'd love to go in that direction, but nowhere have I found any advanced tips and tricks, with cool moves and how to execute them. Where are the advanced videos? I'm sure I'm not the only one looking...
I'd love to see a video... "Fun things to do with your Phantom" with respect to flying. Not idiotic stuff like spy on your hot neighbor or fly over a nude beach. :D

I'm not an expert in manual mode but I do fly manual from time to time to do flips and dives, nothing to it really and you have gps/atti mode to save you if you use it right. I also like flying through smallish spaces (nothing too crazy) and try to think of other crazy and unusual things to do with the phantom. If you have any ideas for new tricks or just want to see how something's done, I'll be more than happy to make a video tutorial for ya.

kitari said:
I'm not an expert in manual mode but I do fly manual from time to time to do flips and dives, nothing to it really and you have gps/atti mode to save you if you use it right. I also like flying through smallish spaces (nothing too crazy) and try to think of other crazy and unusual things to do with the phantom. If you have any ideas for new tricks or just want to see how something's done, I'll be more than happy to make a video tutorial for ya.

I think that would be awesome... not just for me but for others as well. I'd love watch a flip or a barrel roll with someone actually explaining how to do it! Are the controls the same in Manual Mode, just more sensitive and without the "self leveling" limits? I'm still looking for how to fly in Manual Mode, but all tutorials I find just tell you how to get into the mode. I think if you did a video like this specifically for the phantom it would go viral, seeing as there doesn't seem to be anything like it out there.
As a side note, DJI probably would quietly love to see more people flying in MM because of the extra parts they'll be able sell! It would be the equivalent of an orthopedic doctor promoting the use of skateboards! :lol:

Yea tutorials are useful, but nothin' replaces "Stick Time"!

So get out and rack up the minutes ;) .

N017RW said:
Yea tutorials are useful, but nothin' replaces "Stick Time"!

So get out and rack up the minutes ;) .

I agree, and like I said I have over a hundred flights. But I would like to have at least a basic set of instructions on how to fly in Manual Mode before I flip the switch.

When you first switch into it you will need to add throttle as 50% is not enough to maintain hover and since you were level it will tend to stay that way for a bit.

After that is like sliding on ice in any direction with the possibility of sliding over the edge.

Think of the quad as balancing on a big ball so down the side you'll go if you don't correct with a counter move.

Just get some altitude and switch (in calm conditions). It won't just zip away from you and be prepared to switch back to Atti. or GPS right away.

You'll see it's not that bad.

All inputs remain the same but no self leveling and hovering.

Just like the diff between GPS and Atti. is that the quad continues to coast or drift unless you counter it, now in addition to that manual mode does not maintain attitude (level), altitude or heading. (What could go wrong :lol: )

Just try it already :cool: ... one hand on throttle the other on S1.

You can do it!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20