Advice Needed: Height & Camera - Golf course flyover (video)

Reaction score
Hello,

I took the p2v+ out today around 6pm and got some shots. Please check out the video and share your suggestions.

This is my third time flying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avd0Zl-0viY

Reference Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GdSCVN2lyg
http://www.mistwoodgolf.net/golf/course-tour

1. What height do you suggest? 10 - 40? more? ( video labels it )

2. I shot today.. it was sunny.. the day before had a little overcast, sun was also going down more like 8pm ( one video you notice the difference in lighting)... What time of day would be best and in what conditions? The wind speed was about 10mph and very manageable. I think anything more might be a wash and just wait till I have a better day.

3. I increased the speed because even though you can admire it more normal speed I feel like people attention span will fade watching 18 holes.. at normal speed could be about a 20min video...( I want to make one long video with holes fading together... not 18 individual videos ) What speed do you like? Normal, 2x , 1.5x, suggestions?

4. I am not sure if its my video editor "iMovie" or something but it seems while watching each clip on my computer the video lags or jitters a bit.. like a rendering issue every know and then..... most the clip looks clean and smooth... ( shooting 1080p 30 - the wide setting.) Any settings to make the video run smooth like butter? ( all settings at default, I have an iMac.. my computer can handle it so I know its the video or just the playback...)

5. I would like to use GPS mode because it seems more stable and less likely to be influence by the wind. - but since I am new at this I am a bit concerned about fail safe when traveling outside the home zone on the golf cart to lets say hole 14 that may be out of range..thus the the p2v+ going into fail safe mode > traveling back to home position and messing up the shot. Suggestions? Should I just keep flicking s2 up and down 10 times to reposition home position on each T box?

Thanks for you time. Getting closer!
-O

Re: Advice Needed: Height & Camera - Golf course flyover (vi

I'd suggest that you vary the height at which you fly to different holes. It could get a bit boring watching 18 flights from tee to green, all done at the same altitude. Take a look at the difference in height between the first and second hole on the Augusta fly over reference video to see what I mean.

Also, if you have the ability to add some different things into each of the scenes (considering each tee/fairway/green as a single scene) I'd do it. Notice the way the second hole on the Augusta fly over starts with flying over a few trees? That helped separate things from the first, and also created some additional interest.

You're absolutely right when you start thinking about keeping your audience's attention for 10-20 minutes in this video. Doing some things to vary shots and approaches will definitely add interest. I'm not sure if you considered this, but you might even want to look at how one or two holes would turn out if you tried the "FPV mode" to record the flight. Don't know how useful it would be, but it's another thing to experiment with.

As far as timing, I generally tend to prefer morning or evening shots and avoid anything mid-day if possible. I think the overall color is nicer, and the golden tone adds a bit more interest. But that may just be personal preference. (In still photography, these times are generally referred to as the "golden hour", I think.)

You might also want to consider adding some still photos and transition effects into the video if possible. Experiment with something like starting with a picture of the green with the flag in the hole, then fading to the tee and showing the video going to the hole. If there are some really scenic shots (like near a cliff, lake, etc.) you might want to consider flying higher and taking a picture or two to start off a hole with as well - or flying high enough to get a complete picture from tee to green, then showing the video. Those are just a few ideas I had offhand, feel free to ignore them if you wish.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the final video for this.... good luck, and remember to have fun while doing this! :)

Crankin,

Really great advice - stellar - I will think more deeply about the video content and how I can make it more appealing.

The thing is.. each golf course is different and what I am trying to do with the video is make a template of success for future golf course videos.

Basically put together a nice little package for them with the optimal height / speed / angle / settings...

Fingers crossed.. I will be traveling to golf course I have never seen / played before.. little time for me to really get to know the course and its unique layout designs that make it special...

Also time is money - I need to be able to get out there for an hour and wrap up the video so they can open the course for guest / players. In efforts to make it sorta more generic and less creative so I can get in and get out.... ( this is deff against the creative options a photographer should add to any project )

As much as appealing to the eye I want the video to be, its geared more towards informational for new coming members or people that may want to play the course tomorrow and want to check out the layout before arriving... I also plan on adding graphics for hole numbers and par count.... I want to give the option to add audio too incase they want to describe how to play each hole...

either way food for thought.

Thanks, look forward to completing this little hobby project soon and maybe it can become something.
-O

Don't you think you should go to a open area and practice what your going to do? Then you'll know how to setup your shots.
Then you'll know what height speed etc

That does sound like a great idea Mori55..

Why didn't I think of that?

ahem.. been like 5 days straight I have been practicing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ED2fxkqA0M

And how do you practice in an open area with a golf cart? I kinda need that and its only located at the course.. would be nice to own one though.

1. I decided to remove GPS mode and do the flyover in ATTI

2. iMovie has a great feature called adjust stability of video and it does a great job removing any sharp directional adjustments you can see on the 3rd/4th transition if you look closely.

3. I recorded that video above with some video in Standard and some in Soft... I read online some people thinking standard is too sharp. I am sorta stuck in the middle of choosing.. I think Soft setting has more of a film like feel to it and will probably use it. Soft is slightly blurry for my taste but it also takes out the imperfections of things on the course and makes it look like its in better shape.

4. I am going to choose about 45 feet altitude seems to be the best settings.. almost makes you think a real helicopter is shooting.

5. Last thing I have to decide is if I am going to use the auto camera tilt adjustments on when tilting the iPhone.... I really think it would be best to use it and to get creative but I don't think my skills are at that level yet.... Something to look forward to.

-O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4