Advice needed for new P3A - what would you do?

Reaction score
Hello all,

Wondering if this is the best decision regarding my 2nd newly purchased P3A.

I bought my first one directly from DJI. It is W322B with the new motors, body and controller. I bought another off Amazon for $551 brand new – open box. The only thing wrong was the box was pretty well damaged. It is the old body with old motors, props were unwrapped and 0 charges on the battery. I am aware of some of the updates that 1.6 firmware provides so I elected to go to 1.6 on the Amazon purchased P3A as I fly in cold weather, don’t care if it doesn’t accelerate as fast and just thought these improvements would be helpful in stopping any cracks from occurring. I have already flown the Amazon P3A a number of times after going to 1.6 and calibrating compass and IMU and it flies great, takes great pics and videos.

I guess the major question is if you were me would you go ahead and pop the lid and reinforce the motor areas with Plast-Aid or just leave as is. I’m torn between the two. The reason I would consider it is that it sounds like it would pretty much alleviate any chance of getting cracks in the future. On the downside, I’m sure it would void my warranty so if something did come up then I would most likely be out of luck. And being I do have 2 P3As it wouldn’t be a terrible thing if I had to ship one off for a month or whatever. But flying it with a good possibility it could develop cracks isn’t real comfortable either.

Any thoughts – one way or another? Thanks for the advice.

id leave it as it is until at least the warranty is un out, the minute you pop the lid & mess DJI will not cover it. As you have 2 like you say being without IF problems do occur its not the end of the world.

I am aware of some of the updates that 1.6 firmware provides ... and just thought these improvements would be helpful in stopping any cracks from occurring. I have already flown the Amazon P3A a number of times after going to 1.6 and calibrating compass and IMU and it flies great, takes great pics and videos.

I guess the major question is if you were me would you go ahead and pop the lid and reinforce the motor areas with Plast-Aid or just leave as is. I’m torn between the two. The reason I would consider it is that it sounds like it would pretty much alleviate any chance of getting cracks in the future. ... But flying it with a good possibility it could develop cracks isn’t real comfortable either.
DJI or their contractor doing shell mouldings had some bad resin or bad mouldings that caused some (only a very small fraction) of shells to develop cracking.
Most didn't.
If you got a bad shell, the chances were that it was going to crack and if (like most buyers) you got a good one, it just didn't happen.
If you got a bad one, DJI will replace the shell for free.

Rather than trying to fix something that you probably don't have, it would make a lot more sense to just leave it and get DJI to fix IF it ever shows up.

I've owned a release date P3P (May 2015) and it never had cracking issues. My current P3A was bought in June 2015 it's never had cracking issues. More likely than not that P3 will be OK. Keep in mind the warranties aren't transferable so if you bought it used there's no warranty. If you were the original buyer only the shell and main board are warrantied past 6 months (1 year).

Hello all,

Wondering if this is the best decision regarding my 2nd newly purchased P3A.

I bought my first one directly from DJI. It is W322B with the new motors, body and controller. I bought another off Amazon for $551 brand new – open box. The only thing wrong was the box was pretty well damaged. It is the old body with old motors, props were unwrapped and 0 charges on the battery. I am aware of some of the updates that 1.6 firmware provides so I elected to go to 1.6 on the Amazon purchased P3A as I fly in cold weather, don’t care if it doesn’t accelerate as fast and just thought these improvements would be helpful in stopping any cracks from occurring. I have already flown the Amazon P3A a number of times after going to 1.6 and calibrating compass and IMU and it flies great, takes great pics and videos.

I guess the major question is if you were me would you go ahead and pop the lid and reinforce the motor areas with Plast-Aid or just leave as is. I’m torn between the two. The reason I would consider it is that it sounds like it would pretty much alleviate any chance of getting cracks in the future. On the downside, I’m sure it would void my warranty so if something did come up then I would most likely be out of luck. And being I do have 2 P3As it wouldn’t be a terrible thing if I had to ship one off for a month or whatever. But flying it with a good possibility it could develop cracks isn’t real comfortable either.

Any thoughts – one way or another? Thanks for the advice.
no man just buy some removable prop guards and it should be just fine and be gentle people buy these and think they are a racing quad its a flying camera so treat it like its a camera not a rough toy enjoy a happy healthy inexpesive future

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj