Advice for new pilots of the phantom 2 vision+

Reaction score
With the recent events. I think the best thing you can do if you have never flown a multi rotor craft.

Please, please do yourself a favor and do not install the camera/gimbal until you have gotten comfortable piloting that craft.
The biggest reason is that the camera/ gimbal is extremely fragile and even a minor crash can be catastrophic.
And with the backlog of repairs and the risk of the manufacturer not covering the repair under warranty
It would be to your best interest to fly at least 10 hours before installing the camera/ gimbal.
Another reason for new pilots you don't need the extra distraction of trying to operate the camera and the device controlling the camera in addition to piloting the craft.

Good luck have fun be safe.

Well said.

While I do have experience I have chosen to follow this path for economic reasons. Minimize risk of loss.

It also give your neighbors time to get adjusted to the sight and sound of it being around and not appearing threatening.

As time goes by and you put your camera on it they will pay it no mind (hopefully).

KG4MXV said:
With the recent events. I think the best thing you can do if you have never flown a multi rotor craft.

Please, please do yourself a favor and do not install the camera/gimbal until you have gotten comfortable piloting that craft.
The biggest reason is that the camera/ gimbal is extremely fragile and even a minor crash can be catastrophic.
And with the backlog of repairs and the risk of the manufacturer not covering the repair under warranty
It would be to your best interest to fly at least 10 hours before installing the camera/ gimbal.
Another reason for new pilots you don't need the extra distraction of trying to operate the camera and the device controlling the camera in addition to piloting the craft.

Good luck have fun be safe.

Very sound advice! Until DJI has cheap replaceable parts for these rigs.....you have to protect the delicate/fragile gimbal or you'll be in a world of hurt like some of us who have had failures.

KG4MXV said:

That would be rather difficult considering there's no way to remove it from the Vision Plus.
Do agree with the idea that you are far less likely to have a mishap if familiar with the basics of flying it from using one of the earlier models.

Correct me if I am wrong.
but if you disconnect the three ribbon cables from the camera/gimbal control PCB
remove the bushings it should come off. You might have to cut the plastic retainers
on the shock mounts but those are cheap and I am sure that there is a spare set in the kit.

With the entire controller disconnected the craft will operate just like a stock P2.
you might have to connect to the assistant software the turn off the gimbal so it won't look for it during the self check.

My advice to new owner/flyers would be to stay well away from the pv2+ and get the pv2.
Reasons:

1. Its a tank when it comes to crashes, very very sturdy.
2. Its much cheaper to buy and get replacement parts for.
3. You will still get great pics and slighly less impressive video due to stabilization.
4. Your wife wont want to skin you alive when you have your first crash as it will more than likely just fly again after replacing a prop or 2.
5. By the time you have a few months flying under your belt you can guarantee something much better will be on the market be it the pv3 or another brand.

Agreed, until video is a priority P2V is better. I had both, and video is a huge leap better with the plus but one crash and you pay $800 vs $0 with vision standard (most likely perhaps $20 for props).

Given the cost of gimbal replacement, must cheaper to learn to fly on original phantom for $500 then sell and move to V+ after. It just takes a lot of hours in the air to figure it out, and if you are lucky and careful you make it without a major crash and if not you pay a high price.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
My advice to new owner/flyers would be to stay well away from the pv2+ and get the pv2.
Reasons:

1. Its a tank when it comes to crashes, very very sturdy.
2. Its much cheaper to buy and get replacement parts for.
3. You will still get great pics and slighly less impressive video due to stabilization.
4. Your wife wont want to skin you alive when you have your first crash as it will more than likely just fly again after replacing a prop or 2.
5. By the time you have a few months flying under your belt you can guarantee something much better will be on the market be it the pv3 or another brand.

Completely agreed. And to be honest? Youtube's stabilization editing process is not that bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers