Advice for flying in rugged country

Reaction score
I have been learning to fly over very open terrain, getting to know what the sticks do, etc. But my goal is to take it into some rugged areas around where I live. It's desert and trees are not really a problem, they don't thrive until around 5,500 - 6,000 feet. I'm talking about flying in narrow canyons and the like. (I'll be looking for gold :D:D:D)

What can I practice on in the wide open areas to help me fly better in the more confined spaces. Do you lose connection as soon as you go around a rock wall or large obstacle?

How about flying just by the camera as the bird will not be in sight? And yes I know that one of the rules is line of sight flying, but where I want to fly, that's not going to happen all the time. There will be absolutely no people around to endanger. The only thing in danger will be the bird.

I do want to somehow limit the forward speed to maybe 5 mph and even the yaw, any suggestions?

I have a P3S with prop guards and maybe I should have bought one of the "obstacle avoidance" models. I will see.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Be aware that the more confined your space, the less percent of sky will be visible and you run a better chance of dropping out of GPS mode during the mission.

Reactions: stubblefield
Flying just with the camera, and the data on the screen, is very important. That is how I get it back home with out using RTH feature. I am getting ready to fly in some canyons this spring. What I have is an agility course set up in the back yard. Kind of fun to go around and under things. Once you get use to the controls, you try it just using the camera. Still trying to figure out dept perception.

Reactions: stubblefield
MapMaker said: "Be aware that the more confined your space, the less percent of sky will be visible and you run a better chance of dropping out of GPS mode during the mission."

Good point though the Phantom picks up more satellites than I though up there. I have other GPS devices and they don't find that many.

AnchorageAK said: "Flying just with the camera, and the data on the screen, is very important. That is how I get it back home with out using RTH feature. I am getting ready to fly in some canyons this spring. What I have is an agility course set up in the back yard. Kind of fun to go around and under things. Once you get use to the controls, you try it just using the camera. Still trying to figure out dept perception."

Agility course is a great idea. Now I have to figure out how to do that. And depth perception is a biggy. I flew it into my neighbors car (at really slow speed) because of that problem.

Hopefully when I can start using my iPad Pro, the larger screen will make things easier. My i phone is just too small.

Thanks again both of you.

Do you lose connection as soon as you go around a rock wall or large obstacle?
If you have any large obstacle between the controller and the Phantom, you lose signal.
You must have a clear, unobstructed line of sight to maintain signal.
Flying behind terrain without an appropriate RTH height set is a very common cause of lost Phantoms.

MapMaker said: "Be aware that the more confined your space, the less percent of sky will be visible and you run a better chance of dropping out of GPS mode during the mission."

Good point though the Phantom picks up more satellites than I though up there. I have other GPS devices and they don't find that many.

AnchorageAK said: "Flying just with the camera, and the data on the screen, is very important. That is how I get it back home with out using RTH feature. I am getting ready to fly in some canyons this spring. What I have is an agility course set up in the back yard. Kind of fun to go around and under things. Once you get use to the controls, you try it just using the camera. Still trying to figure out dept perception."

Agility course is a great idea. Now I have to figure out how to do that. And depth perception is a biggy. I flew it into my neighbors car (at really slow speed) because of that problem.

Hopefully when I can start using my iPad Pro, the larger screen will make things easier. My i phone is just too small.

Thanks again both of you.

Saw horses, garbage cans, girl friend, chairs, barrels, maybe not your neighbor's car, .......:D

Also keep in mind that any mild wind in a narrow canyon can be amplified and unpredictable.

Reactions: AnchorageAk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1