Advice for editing station

Reaction score
I have used the same desktop for all of my GoPro and dslr editing for a while now. I have upgraded my quadcopter to the P4P. This tower is not adequate for doing edits on 4k video. Any suggestions on a desktop that will handle the 4k edits? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

A machine with an i7-6700 processor, 16-32GB RAM, SSD, and an Nvidia GTX 1070 should make for a good cost vs. performance balance for a basic editing machine, should be able to buy or build for around $1500. You will also want a 4K monitor and these vary greatly in price, a good choice (meaning price vs. performance) is the LG 4K IPS monitor (model 27UD68) for about $500. You may be tempted to skip a 4K monitor but don't, it makes all the difference.

I would highly recommend ORIGIN PC. www.originpc.com
I purchased a high power gaming laptop from ORIGIN more than a year and a half ago. That is the machine I am using to do everything including processing 4K video. At home it is connected to a second 4K display. Sure, it cost me a pretty penny but it was well worth it from every aspect, especially quality and support. ORIGIN does build some amazing non-portables some of them specifically for this kind of work.
Check them out!

Going with the specs that smiller posted, if you want to buy a system look at the Lenovo Y700, Alienware Alpha, or the HP Omen 870-120ST. My personal preference would be to build it myself and spec out better cooling, case, and power supply.

There are Nvidia cards cheaper than the 1070 that will support 4K. NVidia has a list here.

The 1070 may be a tad of overkill if you will be using the machine only for editing, I just chose it because it never hurts to go a bit higher than you need for graphics and the 1070 is supported for Premiere Pro. Many GPUs that support CUDA are, but whatever you choose make sure that it is approved by your editing program of choice.

Reactions: Wrice4
I'm also thinking about upgrading my PC. I have yet a GTX 1070 (great for gaming, but for editing, it's more a CPU thing). Will a i7 6700k be enough for fluid scrubbing h265 4K 100Mbps in Premiere CC ?

I'm also thinking about upgrading my PC. I have yet a GTX 1070 (great for gaming, but for editing, it's more a CPU thing). Will a i7 6700k be enough for fluid scrubbing h265 4K 100Mbps in Premiere CC ?
GPU acceleration apparently is used to some extent for rendering and playback, when I monitor GPU load I can see it increase whenever I start playing a timeline in the PP program monitor and drop back to zero when I stop playback. I also see some GPU utilization when rendering final output.

Regarding H.265, I have a i7-6700 class machine with a GTX 1070 and I would expect that to be plenty but in my testing there seems to be an issue with the H.265 files out of the P4P in that PP seems to have difficulty rendering them on the timeline (stuttering and other issues) while other high-bitrate H.265 files play flawlessly. I found some example 80 MB/s UHD H.265 files out of a Samsung NX-1 (link below) and they play like butter in the timeline program monitor, but native H.265 files from the P4P seem to be troublesome no matter what I do... there seems to be something about them that PP doesn't like. What I am noticing is that if I move the playback head to a certain part in the clip and wait for the processor to settle down then the clip plays smoothly, but obviously it's not practical to do this while editing. But as mentioned other (non-P4P) H.265 files play without any problem. So bottom line, depending on what the actual problem is with the P4P H.265 files the issue may not be related simply to processing power, and if a 6700 doesn't work then I doubt the relatively small improvement in a 6700K would matter much (and a dual 8-core Xeon machine is out of my budget.)

What are other peoples' experiences here? What are your machine specs and can you smoothly preview P4P H.265 files in PP?

( Example non-P4P H.265 files: Samsung NX1: 4K video samples and new full-res frame grabs available for download (UPDATED) )

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the suggestions. I am doing my research and will let you know what I go with. Happy flying!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just fyi, it you want a supported plug-and-play option Best Buy has an Aiienware Aurora with decent specs on sale this week. It's not a high-end editing workstation (which would start in the $4K range) but should be plenty for your purposes. For complex editing jobs you might want to thrown in another 16 GB memory stick for 32 GB total, but otherwise it should get the job done nicely.

Alienware - Aurora R5 Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 256GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive - Silver

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik