Advance IMU Calibration

Do the foil mod/fix.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099
There will be 2 sides of this argument for warranty. The way i see it is to prevent it. If you crash or lose it then DJI will say its your bad luck. The foil will minimise crashes and "fly-away" or should we call it "drift-away". The mod is reversible - quick, easy and cheap and hightly effective. Just make sure you use an exacto knife to slit the sticker when opening the lid.

Your GPS is working fine. The problem is the from the FPV/Camera gear below causing interference to the exposed GPS cable.

Back to your question, the IMU assist in ATTI mode for only for height so it is reading the barometrics for altitude. Therefore you are correct.

Not just altitude but attitude as well, i.e. 'Atti.' mode

GPS mode and Atti. mode are the SAME... EXCEPT GPS mode will [additionally] try to maintain X-Y location within GPS system error(s) (+/- 2.5m sperically).

There is a difference in forward speed with P2 variants in Atti. mode as well but that was beyond the scope of question.

Mako79 said:
Do the foil mod/fix.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099
There will be 2 sides of this argument for warranty. The way i see it is to prevent it. If you crash or lose it then DJI will say its your bad luck. The foil will minimise crashes and "fly-away" or should we call it "drift-away". The mod is reversible - quick, easy and cheap and hightly effective. Just make sure you use an exacto knife to slit the sticker when opening the lid.

Your GPS is working fine. The problem is the from the FPV/Camera gear below causing interference to the exposed GPS cable.

Back to your question, the IMU assist in ATTI mode for only for height so it is reading the barometrics for altitude. Therefore you are correct.

Thanks for your kind help and clarification. But umm... Why exacto knife to slit the sticker? [emoji47]

Unfortunately.... I screwed up two screws last time when I was trying to open the case... it's now stuck and cannot be opened...

Also, I wasn't recording when I found this fluctuations of GPS signal tough I had a good feeling that it would due to some interference as my phone was getting nearly instant fix at the same location....

Mako79 said:
I was doing some CL and HL resetting test (failed btw http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22675). I had her on without props for a good 15 minutes.
Everything is was good. Plugged her to the PC phantom assistance 3.06 and the IMU advanced calibration was required.
On 2 attempts it was taking more than 10 minutes and i just clicked ok about the MC heat issue... It kept failing and the green tick never appeared. Took the battery out and let her cooled for 20minutes. Plugged her back in and she did the advanced calibration in less than 2 minutes.

I think the heat warning is a real warning. Thinking back, the barometer reading can be affected by heat. Heat changes pressure, and pressure is how barometrics readings works.

IMO, i think you need to do advance calibration when the MC/Phantom is cooled.

You nailed it !

I was stuck for over 25min with new charged battery drained to half tried it a million times :evil:

Then I read your post and took the battery out (put it on charge again ) let it cool down for about 15m ... Then I inserted the other battery and it did the calibration in 3min ( without the over temp warning ) GREAT :D

So like you said the warning is not there for nothing (is no bug!). Calibration needs to be done when phantom is cool and first thing when you get in the assistant mode .... Lesson learned

Thanks alot

cahutch said:
I get the green tick also but it disappears after a few seconds, so if you're not watching at the end you might not see it.
The bar could be green or blank or somewhere in between.

I know this is a semi old thread, but, until I got both "ready" and the green check mark on an attempt, my copter would flash red-green-yellow no matter what.

RobertMfromLI said:
cahutch said:
I get the green tick also but it disappears after a few seconds, so if you're not watching at the end you might not see it.

I know this is a semi old thread, but, until I got both "ready" and the green check mark on an attempt, my copter would flash red-green-yellow no matter what.

I can't remember the colour error codes of the top of my head...
Try turning your remote/transmitter on.

Mako79 said:
RobertMfromLI said:
cahutch said:

I can't remember the colour error codes of the top of my head...
Try turning your remote/transmitter on.

It means IMU calibration necessary. I got mine calibrated - sorry for the confusion. What I was attempting to say was:

On first two calibration attempts, I got "calibrating" and THEN the same screen above that says "ready" but NO green check mark. That didn't work, and I would get the "IMU Advanced calibration needed" flashes (red-green-yellow repeatedly).

On the third one, I got the exact screen above, including the check mark, and all was well - no flashing warnings.

So, basically, the suggestion/tip was, if someone calibrates and does NOT get the checkmark, do it again until you do. At least on the latest firmware/Assistant software.

I have reboot it and restart it.. then the phantom will go into red Green yellow with the phantom app saying IMU need calibration, then I plug it in, and start the advance calibration again, it's now 15minutes and it's somehow stuck at around 95%...

silly question, my flat is quite small and I have a PC near phantom during calibration, of course I need it to start the calibration, but will these electronic affect the results and time it takes?

I am having the EXACT same problem...red, yellow green blinking.....says i can do basic calibration but advanced gets to about 80% and stops....interestingly too, does the error window that pops up say "Basic Calibration error"?

I entered into the advanced calibration and now is waiting the progress bar to finish, interestingly it will go over 80% and suddenly goes back to 10%, increase again, and goes back... does that mean it is still under calibration?

Will the progress bar goes when it is done? It has been working on it more than 20 minutes already.... My battery is running low now.... :eek: :eek:

Ever get the solution for this problem?...I am having the EXACT same problem...red, yellow green blinking.....says i can do basic calibration but advanced gets to about 80% and stops....interestingly too, does the error window that pops up say "Basic Calibration error"?...and doing a basic calibration sets the gyro readings to near 0 but hitting the advanced calibration and the gyro readings go to the same EXACT readings they were before doing the basic calib....almost like it unsaved the new settings

Atti slows the copter to drift with the airflow or direction it was traveling. When you flipped back to GPS it vacate stable with its location.

I am having the EXACT same problem...red, yellow green blinking.....says i can do basic calibration but advanced gets to about 80% and stops....interestingly too, does the error window that pops up say "Basic Calibration error"?

Ever get the solution for this problem?...I am having the EXACT same problem...red, yellow green blinking.....says i can do basic calibration but advanced gets to about 80% and stops....interestingly too, does the error window that pops up say "Basic Calibration error"?...and doing a basic calibration sets the gyro readings to near 0 but hitting the advanced calibration and the gyro readings go to the same EXACT readings they were before doing the basic calib....almost like it unsaved the new settings

Read my post below and let the phantom cool for an hour. Start the Phantom Assist app and goto the adv calibration screen. Then do the Adv calibration immediately the moment you turn on the phantom. This method will minimise the chances of the MC temp warning appearing.
The cooler the phantom is, the more accurate and quicker the calibration will be. The longer you leave it on idle, the longer and higher chance the calibration will hang or fail.
And leave the controller on with all switches up to help see what the flashes/errors are.

I was doing some CL and HL resetting test (failed btw http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22675). I had her on without props for a good 15 minutes.
Everything is was good. Plugged her to the PC phantom assistance 3.06 and the IMU advanced calibration was required.
On 2 attempts it was taking more than 10 minutes and i just clicked ok about the MC heat issue... It kept failing and the green tick never appeared. Took the battery out and let her cooled for 20minutes. Plugged her back in and she did the advanced calibration in less than 2 minutes.

I think the heat warning is a real warning. Thinking back, the barometer reading can be affected by heat. Heat changes pressure, and pressure is how barometrics readings works.

IMO, i think you need to do advance calibration when the MC/Phantom is cooled.

I agree. Its also was only possible for me to get the calibration done if I reset the BTU settings from the advanced tab and not the basic calibration tab...ALSO...it says to reboot the MC....I COULD NOT do an advanced calibration if I shut off and restarted my quad...i had to go right into calibrating...alls fine now. Hope all the posts help someone...thanks Mako79

Last edited:
What makes you think it's not finished? It's never taken more than 3 or 4 minutes for me.

"Advanced Cali" button is greyed out during calibration and the status shows 'calibrating'

When complete the button is normal and status shows 'ready'

I've seen the progress bar still half green when finished but I think that must be a software bug.
As long as the status is back to ready, it's done.

What are the correct values after calibration??
Should they be "zero" at Gyroscope & Acceleration?

Regards

If you hover over the "?" mark bubble in the IMU Calibration section of the "Tools" tab of the P2 Assistant, a window will pop up with that information.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik