ADV vs. Standard Long Range Comparison

Reaction score
So, I have done the FPVLR vs. DBS comparisons on the P3 Standard and I think my general conclusions are that while range is similar with both, FPVLR is more directional and COULD offer longer range with the right conditions...but the FPVLR is much more inconsistent in actual use than the DBS.

I think it's kind of a wash and either one offers much better range than stock. This will probably be my final post regarding a comparison of the Advanced with Lightbridge to the PS3 with modded RC because there is no need to go on. My guess would be boosters (amps) on the PS3 could challenge the Advanced/Pro range but would cost about $350 more than a stock one. One of these days maybe I'll do that if I don't sell her.

So far my longest flight with the P3S w/DBS mod (no amps) was 11,919 feet which is about 2.25 miles.

My longest flight with the Advanced was done today-no mods other than a Windsurfer and the channel hack. I got 21,152 feet which is just a hair over 4 miles! This is essentially the farthest I could possibly go...came back with 9% battery! Turned around at 47% battery but still had good RC/FPV...but won't need to try that again. I know for long distance runs with the Advanced I am only limited by battery life now.

Without the windsurfer I could still get about 15,000-16,000 feet.

For the Advanced, I can reasonably estimate that the Windsurfer adds another 35% in range regardless of conditions (residential, rural, etc).

With the Standard stock my experience with a Windsurfer was not nearly as effective because it doesn't help your 2.4 FPV antennas at all. RC is boosted however...but when RTH kicks in you are blind for awhile.

Hopefully my testing has been helpful to someone thinking about their options!
1c53bd4792229a5d015bfe7e75c3d632.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your effort buddy .Has been interesting to watch :)
Yup...it was fun trying all this stuff out. My next step will be to put up the FPVLR for sale because of the size alone. [emoji6]. I don't have an easy way to carry it in my case.

I still love the P3S...it's a great craft, and everything I hoped it would be, but then I got the long range bug! Thanks for your help on here about modding suggestions...your posts have helped me a lot in learning about the P3S!

Reactions: dirkclod
Was a pleasure .
I've learned from you as well as others Tanger . I hope you the best with the Adv.
If the price's come down on the 4K I think that will be my next project .
I love messing with this stuff and like you said the others has only the battery to hold you back .

Reactions: TheTanger
I think that would be a nice platform to tinker with too...please keep us all updated if you do!

Reactions: dirkclod
I think that would be a nice platform to tinker with too...please keep us all updated if you do!
You know me bro ...I will :) lol

Reactions: TheTanger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj