Adobe Premiere 4k to 1080p

Reaction score
So far I have been working exclusively with 4K video with 4K sequences. I would like to start experimenting down scaling to 1080 to see the differences and also just to become familiar with the process should I have have this as a requirement.

Am I required to change the actual sequence settings to 1920 x 1080, or, am I able to leave the sequence setting at 4K and simply change to 1920 x 1080 within the export settings? Not understanding if there is a difference here.

Always shoot in the highest resolution and then step down on the export. I shoot 4K and then downsize to the final output that is needed.
Better to always have room to take away because you cant add back.

Always shoot in the highest resolution and then step down on the export. I shoot 4K and then downsize to the final output that is needed.
Better to always have room to take away because you cant add back.
Hi Gary - thank you very much for the feedback. Yes, I completely agree and I always shoot in 4K. However, what I am wondering is if within Premiere, in order to downsize, is changing to 1920x1080 within the export settings sufficient, or, do I need to actually change the sequence settings to these values prior to the export? Essentially, is changing the sequence to 1080 vs. within the export settings basically the same thing?

I just do it in the export. From what have seen on the Adobe forums, they also use the max resolution and then step down in the export.

Reactions: Pharm and InforGuy
I just do it in the export. From what have seen on the Adobe forums, they also use the max resolution and then step down in the export.
Works for me. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again.

You may not see any real differences if you're not doing much to the footage. One of the huge benefits to 4K, that you can do a lot to the image and retain detail for a beautiful 1080p finish. When the 4K files should be downscaled to 1080p, there are mainly two workflows:

A: First edit the project in 4K then render it in 1080p.
B: First batch convert/render all 4K clips to 1080p then edit the project in 1080p and smart-render.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic