Adobe DNG P2V!

adart1105 said:
Guys, developing something like this takes time. Russell and Adobe are working extra hard to make sure that once it is released it will not have any problems. They rather delay something than release something that is full of bugs. I have been able to beta test the DNG on my drone and is really spectacular. Everything you have seen Russell post really checks out. Low light capabilities improved, you can bring out shadows and tone down highlights as with most raw formats on the market today. Basically the overall quality of the files are fantastic even when you convert it to JPEG. I don't know when it will be available to the general public but I would guess soon, because I saw no bugs in the software from my testing.

Well, it doesn't need to take time. It's essentially a file format conversion - straightforward coding - plus debayering. And the latter is a well established process...

kloader said:
Thanks very much for posting. It's encouraging to hear Adobe is still tracking to release the RAW conversion tools we are looking forward to. ...
Just to be clear, it appears there are NO actual "CONVERSION" tools being worked on. What's being beta tested is a P2V camera firmware update, which changes the camera's native RAW file format from DJI-proprietary to Adobe DNG. Once released, no "conversion" will be necessary since most image-editing apps already know how to read DNG format.

I'm pretty sure any existing DJI-proprietary RAW files we've taken will simply be orphaned. See this Facebook post from Russell Brown at Adobe:
https://www.facebook.com/russell.brown. ... 2363915833
It's clear he likes the new P2V DNG/RAW support - but he warns people NOT to shoot any photos using the current DJI-proprietary RAW format, because there will not be any way to convert them later. Wait until the camera update gives us native DNG RAW files.

jimre said:
kloader said:
Thanks very much for posting. It's encouraging to hear Adobe is still tracking to release the RAW conversion tools we are looking forward to. ...
Just to be clear, it appears there are NO actual "CONVERSION" tools being worked on. What's being beta tested is a P2V camera firmware update, which changes the camera's native RAW file format from DJI-proprietary to Adobe DNG. Once released, no "conversion" will be necessary since most image-editing apps already know how to read DNG format.

I'm pretty sure any existing DJI-proprietary RAW files we've taken will simply be orphaned. See this Facebook post from Russell Brown at Adobe:
https://www.facebook.com/russell.brown. ... 2363915833
It's clear he likes the new P2V DNG/RAW support - but he warns people NOT to shoot any photos using the current DJI-proprietary RAW format, because there will not be any way to convert them later. Wait until the camera update gives us native DNG RAW files.

That's crazy. Lots of folk have taken raw pics, as a conversion utility was promised. If they don't want to do that, then all they have to do is let us know the current raw format. I've asked a few times, with no reply.... Typical dji support...

iDrone. said:
I emailed DJI Europe about .raw picture.

This is what they emailed back :

Dear Sir,

According to our head office in China, they are working on it:
"We will release a software to open the RAW files of Phantom Vision soon."
--
*** Please note our new telephone number below ***

Best regards,

Gabriele Schmitt

Please email em' back and ask about the Waypoint update seeing they at least telling you something!

Morgan 1983 said:
iDrone. said:
I emailed DJI Europe about .raw picture.

This is what they emailed back :

Dear Sir,

According to our head office in China, they are working on it:
"We will release a software to open the RAW files of Phantom Vision soon."
--
*** Please note our new telephone number below ***

Best regards,

Gabriele Schmitt

Please email em' back and ask about the Waypoint update seeing they at least telling you something!

I actually got a response from them too after I got all bent out of shape over the previous iPhone update...

Dear Gil

We are currently updating the APP right now. Sorry for the inconvenient caused

BR
DJI

Not much of a response, but it was my very first one from DJI. After reading the email that I sent, and they responded to, I was a bit embarrassed. I was, apparently, a bit pissed... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Pull_Up said:
Pissed in the British sense, or pissed in the American sense? Either works in that context! ;)

I knew if anyone would pick up on that double entendre, it'd be you. And the answer, in at least one particular incident, is both... :) :) :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl