adjustment controller!

Reaction score
hello
guys you can adjust the sensitivity of the controls of the Phantom 2? I would like to get slower movements, especially when I do rotations at the same point!
thanks

There is no way to adjust the sensitivity via firmware. You really have 2 choices, 1) go for a third party controller that has the ability to modify what's needed or 2) modify the stock controller by adding a potentiometer and a switch. I have not done this but plan to.

This how-to post from rcgroups shows you how, also has a smoother camera tilt mod which I have done. Very nice smooth tilt now. I was a nervous wreck doing the internal bit, but it all worked nicely.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

Also another little tip. You can make the left stick longer to give you a larger movement which will enable slightly better control over yaw during a rotate shot.

Any easy way is to unscrew the top part of the stick - yes it is threaded! it makes the stick about 1/4" longer - helps a bit.

Here is the stick top unscrewed to extend it. A cut-off plasic wall plug is used as a washer to tighten it down onto so it doesn't work lose.
[attachment=-1]2014-06-19 18.08.48-cropped.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403211705670.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403211705670.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 630
Very nice little mod, its the same thing they do with xbox and playstation controllers, lengthen them to give smoother movement. Just about to unscrew mine, thanks mate!

gmbn.inc said:
tapple said:
hello
guys you can adjust the sensitivity of the controls of the Phantom 2? I would like to get slower movements, especially when I do rotations at the same point!
thanks

**YES you can alter the sensitivity of the sticks** See the picture below. You will need to remove the rear cover of the controller to access the screws that adjust the tension on the springs...
This will not make movement slower as was asked in the OP. This will only make the sticks feel looser or tighter, not increase the sensitivity, as in movement of stick verses the speed of yaw movement.

gmbn.inc said:
IrishSights said:
gmbn.inc said:
tapple said:
hello
thanks

**YES you can alter the sensitivity of the sticks** See the picture below. You will need to remove the rear cover of the controller to access the screws that adjust the tension on the springs...
This will not make movement slower as was asked in the OP. This will only make the sticks feel looser or tighter, not increase the sensitivity, as in movement of stick verses the speed of yaw movement.

Pardon my ignorance, but he wasn't exactly precise in his question. He asked if it was possible to adjust the sensitivity of the controls, I assumed he meant the physical sticks so as to be not so erratic, hence slower movements. Would not tightening up the tension on the controller spring(s) be considered adjusting the sensitivity? I suppose a back yard modification such as a wall plug does the trick....

Yes you are right, the sensitivity to touch and feel of the movement would be different. I understood from the OP that it was slower movements of a yaw relative to the amount of stick movement he was referring to. The adjustment of the tension on the springs would not alter the scale of movement, that is, stick movement distance relative to the Phantom yaw movement speed. Maybe the OP could confirm?

Backyards are good! It was just a 'tip' :)

I would think that "stiffening" the sticks would also make it easier for a novice like myself to avoid unwanted movement. An example would be avoiding unintended yaw when make altitude adjustment. I find myself sometimes unintentionally bumping the yaw during liftoff and the stiffy stick might stop that.

IrishSights said:
Here is the stick top unscrewed to extend it. A cut-off plasic wall plug is used as a washer to tighten it down onto so it doesn't work lose.

Attachments

• photo-10.JPG
    photo-10.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 387
Cause I'm stupid :)

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

MonsieurAnon said:
I can't see that picture.

What you're possibly looking for are the gain settings which can be adjusted when you plug your Phantom directly into a PC and use the DJI assistant software.

The gain settings in the assistant software adjust the way the flight controller responds to the impulses from the gyro and IMU and not the reaction to the commands from the transmitter.

The most PnP way to achieve a greater resolution would be to change the stock receiver and transmitter to one that supports rate and expo adjustment. I use FrSky gear on my Hex and for actually getting to the area of interest I keep the controls such that the adjustments are linear. Once in the area of interest I switch the four main channels, throttle, rudder, aileron, elevator, to a preset high exponential setting which provides a high degree of control, small movements for the same amount of stick input.

Unforunatley you will be limited if you wanted to go this route with the Vision, Vision Plus, and the FC40 as I'm unaware of any third party 5.8GHz RC control systems. However if you are competent at tracing through the controller's circuitry it maybe possible to hack the way the CPU interprets the stick values and translates this into the resultant transmitted data stream. This is the same principle that a programmable transmitter works on.

Regards

Nidge

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4