Adjusting Yaw sensitivity?

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a RC copter newb question, but is there a simple way to make the control sticks less sensitive in the yaw direction?

It's difficult for me to turn slowly enough when shooting a video (yes, even when I have my thumbs at the bottom of the sticks), so I thought it might be nice to make the stick less sensitive in that direction. Is this something that is possible in the Assistant app for the RC or not?

The yaw gain adjustment in the assistant software does not adjust the yaw stick sensitivity.

At the moment the only way to adjust it is either swap out the controller with one that lets you make stick sensitivity adjustments or to mod the existing controller and add a dual gang pot inline to slow it down.

malacca said:
Sorry if this is a RC copter newb question, but is there a simple way to make the control sticks less sensitive in the yaw direction?

It's difficult for me to turn slowly enough when shooting a video (yes, even when I have my thumbs at the bottom of the sticks), so I thought it might be nice to make the stick less sensitive in that direction. Is this something that is possible in the Assistant app for the RC or not?

Here is a good solution for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

cougar said:
malacca said:

Here is a good solution for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

I saw that before...I was kind of hoping for an easier fix. I tried turning down the yaw gain, hoping that I misunderstood what it did and it would make input from the sticks less aggressive, but unfortunately, as expected, that's not what it does. Oh well.

I saw a video somewhere that showed how to adjust the spring tension of the sticks from the inside of the controller. There were 4 adjustments (2 per stick) that made the force necessary to move the sticks greater. That may solve your problem.

You can also adjust the length and that may help you a bit.

The longer they are the more deflection required.

It's too bad somebody like Futaba doesn't make a 5.8Ghz transmitter module for their full featured radios.
Being able to have programmable exponential on the controls of the plus would be a big help.

Maybe Spectra or some other aftermarket source will come up with a 5.8Ghz module, or even a stand alone semi/full featured radio.
I'd pay a yard for that!! :)

I really don't think you want expo on a quad. Somewhere I read that it wasn't a good idea. Can't remember where I saw it.

The simplest thing to do to tone down control sensitivity is to grasp the sticks between your thumb & forefinger AT THE BASE OF THE STICK instead of just using your thumb at the tip.

Dirty Bird said:
The simplest thing to do to tone down control sensitivity is to grasp the sticks between your thumb & forefinger AT THE BASE OF THE STICK instead of just using your thumb at the tip.

That's a personal preference which doesn't work for all (inc. me).

Thr 'thumb' or 'pinch' method debate has and will continue forever :p .

Mori55 said:
I really don't think you want expo on a quad. Somewhere I read that it wasn't a good idea. Can't remember where I saw it.

Expo simply dampens the movements [only] near the center of the stick, but compensates for this by making movements near the end of the stick more twitchy and sensitive to give you the full range of your control surfaces/servos.

It's a matter of personal experience and preference rather than something to be avoided.

N017RW said:
That's a personal preference which doesn't work for all (inc. me).

Thr 'thumb' or 'pinch' method debate has and will continue forever :p .

I hear ya. You don't actually have to grasp the stick. For a smooth yaw, you can simply place your thumb at the base of the stick and apply a little pressure. I would really love to have the expo settings from my Aurora 9x!

Flyer91 said:
It's too bad somebody like Futaba doesn't make a 5.8Ghz transmitter module for their full featured radios.
Being able to have programmable exponential on the controls of the plus would be a big help.

Maybe Spectra or some other aftermarket source will come up with a 5.8Ghz module, or even a stand alone semi/full featured radio.

None of the current generation of Futaba radios is module based so a simple module swap is not possible.

Flyer91 said:

Yeah, this was a disappointment. Although, I've been pleasantly surprised that in the flights this past weekend, I had the onboard wifi and a 2.4 GHz Futaba receiver coexisting peacefully, used with a new T14SG. It may have been because I didn't push the range limits too significantly, and also dropped the preview video quality/framerate down to minimum (320x240 15fps) to reduce the transmit duty cycle of the onboard wifi. I was expecting far more problems than I have had so far due to cosite interference on the platform.

I'm going to be looking into other solutions going down the line. As another person said, newer Futabas don't support modules - but plenty of people have gotten them to work with external modules by using cables from the trainer port. I'm planning on migrating to an OpenLRS-based (433 MHz) TX/RX combo down the line with the trainer cable hack for my T14SG, since there are no 5.8 GHz Tx/Rx solutions anywhere.

The Tx module of the stock controller does appear to be removable - but there are no sources for that module on its own, nor any documentation as to its interfaces. It's not a basic PPM module as it has a LOT of I/O pins (seemed like 8-10). I was unable to remove the board it was mounted to in order to see what was on the host board as it seems like DJI might have put glue on the power switch.

On the positive side, having expo for yaw AND for pitch/roll is WONDERFUL. That said, if I had to do it again knowing what I know now, I probably would've gone for a module-based system such as maybe the FrSky Taranis instead of the T14SG. Cheaper and still achieving my primary goal, and also more easily adaptable to a UHF Tx/Rx solution for control.

Another annoyance of the T14SG - It's nearly impossible to find gimbal center spring return kits nowadays.

I have considered adding some small pushbuttons to my transmitter which would be connected to fixed resistors. The resistors would be wired in parallel with the existing control potentiometers from the center contact to each end when the button was pressed. The resistance could be chosen so that it was the minimum required to start the quad yawing. I had also considered adding two more buttons in a similar fashion to the roll axis pot. This would allow me to rotate the Phantom in a circle around a point keeping the camera facing the center by pressing a combination of these buttons.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj