Adios Phantom 3 Series.

Reaction score
I don't think it shocks anyone of the recent announcement by DJI regarding the discontinuation of the Phantom 3 series. It was bound to come as once the Phantom 4 and the Mavic were released, the demand for these products clearly decreased. Personally, I loved the Phantom 3 Professional as it was this model that gave me my teeth to flying and really learning what quads were all about. Also, in flying the Phantom 3 Pro, the stability of these units were a true winner. What amazed me further is what was said about the discontinuation of the Phantom 3 Prop3 discontinuation.png

LOL...they said:
"Now it’s time to give the young a chance as DJI prioritizes Mavic Pro."
Must be a cultural thing.

I'll keep my ole P3P with the same ole firmware it had on it when I bought it..never had any trouble with distance or height! It'll do what ever I tell it to..if I want to go 1000m straight up it will no restrictions..May not have the new fancy go app but it does what I want..
Every time I turn it on it thinks it needs updates but after I deny them I'm good to go..You all enjoy your new birds!

I'll keep my ole P3P with the same ole firmware it had on it when I bought it..never had any trouble with distance or height! It'll do what ever I tell it to..if I want to go 1000m straight up it will no restrictions..May not have the new fancy go app but it does what I want..
Every time I turn it on it thinks it needs updates but after I deny them I'm good to go..You all enjoy your new birds!

Totally agree with you Robert, I bought mine new back in may 2015
with the firmware 1.19 and ever since that day I never updated drone,
the radio and put my ipad air 2 on airplane mode, I can fly anywhere any height and distance with radio mod from Paul Schaefer in FL.
AND NO geofencing warnings at all ....just fly where and when I want.
Can't do that now with the new phantom series.

Kevin

Totally agree with you Robert, I bought mine new back in may 2015
with the firmware 1.19 and ever since that day I never updated drone,
the radio and put my ipad air 2 on airplane mode, I can fly anywhere any height and distance with radio mod from Paul Schaefer in FL.
AND NO geofencing warnings at all ....just fly where and when I want.
Can't do that now with the new phantom series.

Kevin
Which DJI Go version are you using without restrictions? Or Litchi?

I'm running version 1.6.40 on the P3P
And version 1.5.70 on my remote..
Don't have the fancy go app features of the new updated versions but I don't have any problems with height or distance restrictions..I have never had a geofence or flying in a no fly zone warning either..I just use it for photography so I don't care allot about all the new stuff. I'm happy with it the way it is..
I'm sure if we don't stick together and watch ourselves everyone that doesn't understand or like drones flying around will regulate me out of my new hobby...
I hope not but it has already started changing with the testing and waivers and the like...

Hope this helps

Love my phantom 3 advanced.. Was gonna get a p4 and then a Mavic.. But the more I thought about it the more I thought .. Why? For a few new add ons? I'm not a professional video photographer, I just like shooting cool shots pictures/video for the fun of it, making my own videos and just having a blast. The phantom 3 is more than enough stable, and it does everything I need.. I like the fact that if I wanna fix it myself I can, or if I wanna mod it or have an issue, it's so easy to fix and find resolutions .. I like how it takes 5-10 min to take the gimbal/camera off or to repair it just like many other parts on it are simple.. And not have to take the chassis of the quad apart like you would with a p4 or Mavic just to fix something small or to do a simple modification ... I also feel since the p3 has been out longer that there are many mods you can do to make your p3 very much like a p4.. But with out the p4 price tag, and the p3 is just easier to make it your own.

I also could care less about avoidance.. Imo the only reason anyone should ever even use or rely on avoidance is if they are using "follow me" mode and want to fly it very low to the ground.. Other than that avoidance shouldn't be relied on and I could care less if I ever have it or not, I have never needed such electronics, and imo it's just more to go wrong.. And just more things that can give you issues down the road with firmware and hardware.

The p3 for the price is one of the best drones out there, bar none. And I don't know if or when I'll ever upgrade to anything newer cuz as far as I'm concerned the p3 does EVERYTHING I want and need it to do.. Long distance? No problem, go super high? No problem, take amazing areal shots and video? No problem, fpv, vr goggles? No problem... Etc. literally with the mods that are out there for the p3, the things you can do with it are endless.

I hate that they are discontinuing it... Imo it's a way for dji to push ppl to not spend ALOT LESS money on an amazing quad.. But to get ppl to spend ALOT MORE money on a slightly more amazing quad.

Basically if dji didn't discontinue the p3.. Not nearly as many ppl would be buying their newer products.. Why? Cuz the p3 in most cases will suit a persons needs and it will do that for ALOT less money... Bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Right on! I'm still on 1.4.10 and APP 2.60. With no intention to "upgrade"." If it isn't broke don't fix it."

Last edited:
I agree with nobiffbetter.. I haven't tried any of the follow me modes or the point of interest mode. I'm sure they'll work when I want them to
I have had my drone for a year and I still love to control it all by remote.
I may try the Point of interest mode if I do a wedding..
I also purchased a signal reflector which works great extends my range 2x normal..I only use it in the country..I think there's too many radio waves in a city not to interfere with a long range flight.. Which wouldn't be safe.
I don't want to end up with a crashed or lost drone because some one could get hurt and then that pours more fuel on the fire as to why they are putting restrictions on us.

Reactions: FlyingCorkers

Me too and the upside is there should be some cheap P3Ps around for anyone looking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1