Adding the 4K camera and Gimbal to P3A

Reaction score
just had a trawl back through the posts as I'm sure I read about this somewhere before. Is it possible to put the 4K camera and gimbal straight onto the P3A, my friend has crashed he P3P and has had enough and said I can have the camera and gimbal for £150, is it just a straight swap?

No. The P3A cannot handle the data rate from the 4K camera. That is why it is limited to 2.7K, despite the fact that the camera chip is the same.

Yes BUT, but you would need to have the control board flashed too for PRO. So you would then need the pro firmware on all of your devices of course (the RC, the craft) and I think the control board too. Not 100%

But yeah you can definitely do it. In fact, there is PLENTY of speculation that the actual cameras on the ADV and the PRO are only a firmware away from being the exact same camera. Think about it, they opened up 2.7K and if you look at pics of the advanced and the Pro, there is no extra little fan on the advanced to handle the heat of 4k recording but there is a place for that fan to be placed. I would bet my balls that the camera on the advanced and the Pro are the same and that would be so funny for some reasons when you think of all the money that has been exchanged over it but then again, it's truly the software were paying for. I love DJI, they really make great products.

Yes I've just fund the original thread and a DJI employee said you can just swap the camera and use the Pro firmware. Makes sense really as I have the Inspire 1 with the X3 camera, when I then purchased the X5 camera I just loaded the Inspire Pro firmware and all is good

Reactions: Jussaguy
just had a trawl back through the posts as I'm sure I read about this somewhere before. Is it possible to put the 4K camera and gimbal straight onto the P3A, my friend has crashed he P3P and has had enough and said I can have the camera and gimbal for £150, is it just a straight swap?

Yes you can do this.

All you need to do is update the firmware to the PRO firmware, all processing is done on the gimbal board.

Reactions: Jussaguy
No. The P3A cannot handle the data rate from the 4K camera. That is why it is limited to 2.7K, despite the fact that the camera chip is the same.

That is NOT correct.

The processing of data is on the gimbal board.

Reactions: Oso
Yes I've just fund the original thread and a DJI employee said you can just swap the camera and use the Pro firmware. Makes sense really as I have the Inspire 1 with the X3 camera, when I then purchased the X5 camera I just loaded the Inspire Pro firmware and all is good
Ahhh. Just sounds nice. I have actual and literal gear lust.

Will that also give me the better 10Mbps over the advance 2mbps in Lightbridge?
Yes. After swapping the camera/gimbal and installing the Phantom 3 Professional firmware, you will have a Phantom 3 Professional (minus the badges that say it's an Advanced).

Well, in that case, you better not change the Advanced badge and arm stickers ;)

My wife could not tell the difference. As a matter of fact, when she sees my P3 she just laughs and calls me a nerd. If I tell her what I am doing with it she looks like a deer caught in headlights. I am not saying she is not smart. She is just not a nerd.

New camera has arrived and now the wife has announced she isn't going out tonight after all!!! Got to think of some excuses quickly :) Think I'll try the "It came with 2 cameras sweetheart and i'm just swapping them over"

If I'm not online in the next few days please call the police. Lol!

Reactions: Oso
New camera has arrived and now the wife has announced she isn't going out tonight after all!!! Got to think of some excuses quickly :) Think I'll try the "It came with 2 cameras sweetheart and i'm just swapping them over"

If I'm not online in the next few days please call the police. Lol!

Just hide in your man cave.

Will that also give me the better 10Mbps over the advance 2mbps in Lightbridge?

I've seen you confirm this question about the downlink bitrate in a couple of threads now pertaining to swapping out the camera/gimbal to go from P3A to P3P. Are you sure that the downlink bitrate differences aren't handled in the LB module under the VPS?

I've seen some say the downlink bitrate is handled in the gimbal and the LB just sends out whatever it gets. I've also seen some say it's handled in the LB module and the downlink bitrate is crippled in the P3A's LB module.

Note: I don't know myself, and I really want you to say you are sure it's handled in the gimbal! That would make it much easier to do a simple switch from A to P. Also, it seems to be much simpler from a manufacturing perspective if the difference was contained in only the gimbal/camera, so I tend to believe it's true.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl