Adding Shell/Frame/Motor Supports (VIDEO)

Reaction score
For most of you - this will be very rudimentary and you may even want to pass this one up. But there may be a few that are experiencing stress cracks or even losing motors that will find this helpful. Like I said it is not brain surgery (simple unscrewing and attaching) - but it may help the new pilot to prevent cracks from the very beginning..

Reactions: Raftcomm
Wiha, best precision drivers period...

Nice Video, I have to source some of those screws with the locktite already applied. I bought a carbon set off ebay but it came with non locktit'ed screws. The liquid doesn't do to well with such small threads....

I have to source some of those screws with the locktite already applied. I bought a carbon set off ebay but it came with non locktit'ed screws. The liquid doesn't do to well with such small threads....

Don't know why you say that. A very small, clean dab of blue liquid on a thread this size is perfectly fine. It's the same thing the manufacturer is doing.

Blue Locktite typically doesn't work too well with threads smaller than #6. The manufacturer isn't putting on liquid then assembling, they are using a different type of locktite and allowing it to dry on the screw before assembly. This not only allows for definite friction upon assembly, but also makes sure liquid isn't seeping into any parts of the motor. The type of screws you show in your picture are what I'm looking to find, I'm sure McMaster has them.

Wiha, best precision drivers period...

Nice Video, I have to source some of those screws with the locktite already applied. I bought a carbon set off ebay but it came with non locktit'ed screws. The liquid doesn't do to well with such small threads....

Rd, can you post a link to the carbon ones you found on eBay? I have been looking for a pair and cannot find them.
I'd love to see a pic of them on your bird as well if it's not too much trouble.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Blue Locktite typically doesn't work too well with threads smaller than #6. The manufacturer isn't putting on liquid then assembling, they are using a different type of locktite and allowing it to dry on the screw before assembly. This not only allows for definite friction upon assembly, but also makes sure liquid isn't seeping into any parts of the motor. The type of screws you show in your picture are what I'm looking to find, I'm sure McMaster has them.

I'm not sure if the t8 screws on the Phantom are a nylon patch for a microcapsule threadlocker application (in which case it's bursting and drying anaerobically after installation, not "pre-dried"). Either way, if you have liquid making it to the motor you've put on WAY too much. Nothing wrong with sourcing pre-applied hardware but I'd feel fine putting a dab of blue on them.

I bought the "carbon fiber" ones and they don't resemble CF at all. The pattern is very inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4