Adding second camera

Reaction score
Who has added a second camera to their P3A/P3P? And by that I don't mean some $10 key chain cam. I threw a old gimbal with a small cctv camera on it under my P3A. Used 5.8ghz TX. 7ch Futaba controller operating a single tilt servo.gimbal is not stabilized. I used 2 small 7.4v batteries to power it all. Getting ready to mount a thermal camera on it (when I have the $$$). Dronexpert.nl have a setup they offer but it doesn't support the camera I will be using (Chinese 640 x 480 50hz with19mm lens) so decided to create my own.i extended the legs using fiberglass rod to get the extra height.will post pics and link to short ground station test video I did a couple of days ago once I work out how (first time I've posted here). Must say this forum is great for getting heads up on phantom issues and fixes

Surely I can't be the only one having a go at this! I work on the basis that if I've just thought of doing something, then at least a hundred or more have already done it and moved on already.

Surprised you have been able to maintain stable flight with the extra weight. I can understand wanting FLIR but you'd be better off with a custom build or Inspire 1. The P3 is pretty close to MTOW out of the box.

Reactions: alokbhargava
It's still a work in progress. Im not looking to have a sport mode thermal setup. Everything I do from here on in will only lighten my payload. Dronexpert.nl quote 17 min with their setup. Im sure thats absolute max flight time, but thats more than long enough for our needs. I don't recall off the top of my head what their all up take off weight is. They remove the VPS and power everything from the Phantom, mounting the second gimbal where the VPS was mounted. As far as going with an inspire with a TX camera, yes that would be nice but they won't ship anything export at more than 9hz due to ITAR and I'm in NZ. It's already been done well with the P3A & P3P at half the price of an Inspire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31