Adding powerful laser to my P3P?

A laser on your quad? I can't tell if you're being serious. If you're trying to be funny - not funny. If you're serious, I honestly think you should register your UAV right away because you are the exactly who needs to be tracked and held to account for such irresponsible flying.

I'm in the entertainment business and own & operate programmable lasers for use inside a club. I had to get a Federal Ordinance and can only use the lasers inside a building with additional mandates to notify authorities of date/time/location regarding operation of lasers. Any you want to dangle one from a UAV? Not funny.

"...and if he does it smartly." What is it about this idea that involves the word "smart" and I realize "smartly" means "neat", "properly", "correctly".
I was going to post a rather long rant about this idea but Scott H did it for me but in a much more succinct manner.
What with the current hub bub about idiots shining lasers at airliners and helo pilots ... and then "smartly" mounting a green laser on a quad then spinning it to make pretty time lapse photos
just smacks of "smartass" and the "do it anyways, screw the Debbie Downers and the FAA... just do it" mentality of most "hobbyists" just p*sses me off to no end. What you ignorant "hobbyists" are doing is
what is making us professionals go through a living HELL with the FAA to get certified and licensed to fly commercially but NOOOOOO you "hobbyists" couldn't give a rip about anyone else
because its all about YOU and no one else and the cloak all this in "its ART" crap just makes it even worse. Its you artists who had absolutely NO concern for what the Taliban did to women in Afghanistan but when
thousand year old religious statues of Buddha were being blown up by the Taliban, well then the world shouldn't stand for that! Screw what they were doing to women, but art! Gasp! The world must do something
to stop that terror of destroying thousand year old statues! This is what ticks me off... and now I'm stepping off my soapbox, standing to for the incoming flame mail.

"...and if he does it smartly." What is it about this idea that involves the word "smart" and I realize "smartly" means "neat", "properly", "correctly".
I was going to post a rather long rant about this idea but Scott H did it for me but in a much more succinct manner.
What with the current hub bub about idiots shining lasers at airliners and helo pilots ... and then "smartly" mounting a green laser on a quad then spinning it to make pretty time lapse photos
just smacks of "smartass" and the "do it anyways, screw the Debbie Downers and the FAA... just do it" mentality of most "hobbyists" just p*sses me off to no end. What you ignorant "hobbyists" are doing is
what is making us professionals go through a living HELL with the FAA to get certified and licensed to fly commercially but NOOOOOO you "hobbyists" couldn't give a rip about anyone else
because its all about YOU and no one else and the cloak all this in "its ART" crap just makes it even worse. Its you artists who had absolutely NO concern for what the Taliban did to women in Afghanistan but when
thousand year old religious statues of Buddha were being blown up by the Taliban, well then the world shouldn't stand for that! Screw what they were doing to women, but art! Gasp! The world must do something
to stop that terror of destroying thousand year old statues! This is what ticks me off... and now I'm stepping off my soapbox, standing to for the incoming flame mail.

Thank you for the rant weirdo! You just compared a guy who's flying his hobby drone and silly idea to the ruthless Taliban. We've got a real winner here! A real "professional" here.

Last edited:
Thing that sound like fun are sometimes insane when reason returns.
The last drone stupidity I saw on National News was when someone thought it would be a cool shot
to fly through a Ferris wheel at night as it turned. Now I agree it might have been cool, but now I have
to go through the nosebleed of registration because one too many dumb-asses thought something was going to
be cool!
Thanks a lot!

Strapping any type of "powerful" laser to a quad in any urban environment or within 5 (maybe even 10?) miles of any airport is stupid and just asking for trouble. Even if the laser is pointed down.

However...I can imagine doing this in a rural or unpopulated area without any issues. Where I grew up in the rural west there were a ton of places I could easily do something like this without a problem, including the 80 acres we lived on. In fact when I go back for a visit this coming summer, there are several things I plan on doing with my Phantoms that I would never consider doing here in the Puget Sound area.

Anyway, if you do do it in a safe, rural area, I wanna see the video! ;)

Thing that sound like fun are sometimes insane when reason returns.
The last drone stupidity I saw on National News was when someone thought it would be a cool shot
to fly through a Ferris wheel at night as it turned. Now I agree it might have been cool, but now I have
to go through the nosebleed of registration because one too many dumb-asses thought something was going to
be cool!
Thanks a lot!

I don't think you owe the FAA registration solely to too many dumb-asses per se. You owe it to a lot of new consumers of new technology that frankly does pose a risk. Along with a verifiable increase in incidents (yes, dumb-asses) it's ultimately the right thing to do. It's responsible and it's basic accountability to the public. It's really no big deal. It's just something that's overdue and it's an example of the government catching up to new technology. People are always going to do dumb things no matter whether it's flying a drone, driving a car, operating a forklift, going fishing or hunting, serving food, etc. So many people in this country complain about having "too many laws". More often then not those laws are meant to protect us and when something actually affects us personally we're the country with the most people who seek financial compensation for damages. The class action originated in the United States and is still predominantly a U.S. phenomenon, we practically invented it so lighten up. lol

Last edited:
I suggest looking for a friend with the same but RED laser, so you can film a sort of "Star Wars phantom menace ver. 2"... Joking apart, I think is a fascinating but very dangerous idea. Consider the need of fail safe procedures before attempting, if you can't really stand to try.

I have a powerful green laser that you can see the full beam in daylight/night. I was thinking about taping it horizontally to one of the P3P landing gear and spinning the drone in a circle. It would probably look really cool. Obviously I'd fly out in the middle of nowhere at night.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Maybe I'll try this weekend.
I have a powerful green laser that you can see the full beam in daylight/night. I was thinking about taping it horizontally to one of the P3P landing gear and spinning the drone in a circle. It would probably look really cool. Obviously I'd fly out in the middle of nowhere at night.

I think it's a crazy idea why promote laser use with all the problems they are having, this will only give us a bad name.

That sound pretty stupid to me. What if that laser got misaligned and pointed at someone/something - like a plane.

How about a safer alternative and just tape Knight Rider lights on your Phantom and pretend you're doing a scene from Independence Day

Sikorsky-CH-54-Tarhe.jpg

685056552_o.gif

I don't recall anyone being injured from a laser strapped to a P3.:) This is the sort of stuff I'd love to see but not talk about on forums.
We all do dodgy stuff and if we all admitted to everything we ever did, that could be considered dangerous or unlawful, we'd all be in prison.
I bet nearly every 'drone' hobbyist has done something, considered by the authorities and peers alike, as dangerous.
The second I turn on those motors I'm in control of a flying human dicing machine.
It's good fun.

I wonder how many of the people who are saying it's a stupid idea looked at the videos on this thread and thought "cool."

Reactions: DownUnder

A laser that powerful, particularly in the green spectrum will cause permanent eye damage, up to and including complete blindness with even a brief exposure. Treat that particular laser like a gun around kids. Lock it up. One instance of many: New Burning Man Laser Policy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20