Adding powerful laser to my P3P?

Reaction score
I have a powerful green laser that you can see the full beam in daylight/night. I was thinking about taping it horizontally to one of the P3P landing gear and spinning the drone in a circle. It would probably look really cool. Obviously I'd fly out in the middle of nowhere at night.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Maybe I'll try this weekend.

Make sure you keep it legal. FAA has no sense of humor that we know of
I agree, why invite problems as you're well aware that a lasers projection is quite strong and likely to attract the attention of the wrong people.

I agree, why invite problems as you're well aware that a lasers projection is quite strong and likely to attract the attention of the wrong people.

The place I would something like this is about 20 miles to the nearest town, and about 5mi to a road. With any luck maybe I'll be reported as a UFO? ;)

The place I would something like this is about 20 miles to the nearest town, and about 5mi to a road. With any luck maybe I'll be reported as a UFO? ;)
It is pretty irresponsible. You can get the same effect with a 5mW laser than won't poke anybody's eye out. Yeah, you might get your 15 minutes of fame, but it really is a dumb idea.

What happens if you lose attitude control (**** happens) - the bird rocks back and forth and bam - laser splashes right in your wide open eye? They can damage your retina before the blink reflex kicks in.

A really, really dumb idea.

You'll get yourself arrested for Alien Abduction...:D Alien-Spaceship-Abducts-a-Dog--108900.jpg

Reactions: ObiDon and Flyer91
Agreed. And why not point it more downwards, not straight down but a slight angle, say 30 degrees from nadir. You would have this cone of light in the long-exposure photo.

I agree that a 5mw would probably be about as good, but Poppa don't preach ... ;)
What could be even cooler is to get a Phantom flying buddy to fly with a red one, and do as PH said ... but make two "Christmas Trees" in the shot using the traditional Christmas colors to make 'em .... with "Phantom angels" on top. :)

I agree that a 5mw would probably be about as good, but Poppa don't preach ... ;)
What could be even cooler is to get a Phantom flying buddy to fly with a red one, and do as PH said ... but make two "Christmas Trees" in the shot using the traditional Christmas colors to make 'em .... with "Phantom angels" on top. :)
Wonderful idea, it tis the season after all! I also think pointing the laser downwards instead of horizontally would alleviate concerns that come with pointing it out horizontally where there is no control over what its aimed at. Happy Christmas tree.

Reactions: ObiDon and Flyer91
It is pretty irresponsible. You can get the same effect with a 5mW laser than won't poke anybody's eye out. Yeah, you might get your 15 minutes of fame, but it really is a dumb idea.

What happens if you lose attitude control (**** happens) - the bird rocks back and forth and bam - laser splashes right in your wide open eye? They can damage your retina before the blink reflex kicks in.

A really, really dumb idea.

It's only 100mw unfocused beam. Won't burn anything.

Reactions: Flyer91
I had already had this idea of adding a blue and green laser to my blackout hex and controlling it from a pulse switch would keep the heat down on the diode. I wouldn't be using a heat sink to keep everything small and the weight down. It's a great idea if exercised responsibly. Not everyone flies there quads into the white house;):rolleyes::D

Reactions: Flyer91
Spinning it up.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
On an Parrot AR Drone 2.0

RedHotPoker

If you are so inclined, & have a genuine interest of lasers in the artistic light, with what can be done with creative ingenuity today. Please have a look at this video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31