Adding GPS to non-GPS iPad

It maybe nit vwry good. Very few android tablets accually work well, this is why I got an ipad mini 2 after reading the crap performance android usually has with the go pilot app.

I usually love android, but when it comes to the phantom apple works better in most cases.

There is a thread on here & people say it works well - it's also on Dji list of reccomended android tablets.
I'm gonna stick with my ipad mini2 (non cell/gps)

OK, please excuse my ignorance. What is dual gps add on? I don't have cellular on my Nvidia Shield so maybe this is what I need. What is the name of the app?

Nvidia shield is an android device - gps is standard on most android devices.

People that have non cellular apple devices don't have gps.
Just apple BS

Nvidia shield is an android device - gps is standard on most android devices.

People that have non cellular apple devices don't have gps.
Just apple BS
I've told him twice now that his Shield has GPS already. I'm not sure really why he keeps asking that same question.

Reactions: JoBe
This would work great for follow me. The camera will now follow the external GPS and not the controller+smart device.
If the GPS is Bluetooth paired then you may have 100m range for follow me. In other words, the subject isn't carrying the noticeable big white controller, a small pocketable gps module.

Is it just my imagination? Seen videos of the phantom in follow me mode and using my Dual gps it seems to react quicker and smooth than the ones I have seen using the cellular phones and tablets? I know the dual is a much better gps unit than gps on a phone.

Another advantage of the dual gps is as had been said, strap it to your wrist and can leave your controller by your case, etc or in the car and just walk around with the strap on your arm.

Have not tried this idea yet, but would be better than having tod hang on to your controller while walking

Another advantage of the dual gps is as had been said, strap it to your wrist and can leave your controller by your case, etc or in the car and just walk around with the strap on your arm.

Have not tried this idea yet, but would be better than having tod hang on to your controller while walking

The only problem with putting down the RC is that you are no longer maintaining control of the aircraft.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
So, are you saying you could strap this gps unit to a 3 foot RC sailboat and the camera will follow it around the race course even with the controller on shore? If so, that's exactly what I'm going to do when mine arrives.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
So, are you saying you could strap this gps unit to a 3 foot RC sailboat and the camera will follow it around the race course even with the controller on shore? If so, that's exactly what I'm going to do when mine arrives.
hey Fred would love to see the footage of that!

What about the Bluetooth range? I believe your device (iPad mini2) and dual should be connected via Bluetooth so distance between them can't be more than 10 mt!?!
Am I right?

Reactions: FredSheldon
What about the Bluetooth range? I believe your device (iPad mini2) and dual should be connected via Bluetooth so distance between them can't be more than 10 mt!?!
Am I right?
Yes, you are right. It would for sure be limited by the range of Bluetooth.

Blutooth has a limited range remember.

I can 100% confirm the dual blutooth gps addon for non gps tablets works with the Phantom Follow me feature. Works very well indeed. I have the non cellular ipad mini 2, but the dual gps works and have had my Phantom 3 follow me with my non gps ipad 2.

What you got to do is pair it with blutooth and have the dual gps app running in the background, so pair it on your tablet, run the dual app, when you see it has satelite connection, leave the app running, start the dji go pilot and then follow me will work 100%.

If you don't have the dual app running in the background follow me won't work with the dual gps. It must be run and left running in the background for it to work.

Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Today’s Most Popular Handheld Devices | Dual Electronics

Anyone try this? It's by Garmin and supports both GPS and Glonass at the same time so it's better than just having GPS. And it's not much more than what you listed. Though at the end of the day if someone were buying a new iPad I think you would be better off paying a the extra for the Cellular version as it's not all that much more than buying a wifi only ipad and the GPS unit on top of it.
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portab...2092314&sr=1-1&keywords=bluetooth+gps+glonass

It's worth mentioning that having bluetooth on your device while flying. The Bluetooth uses 2.4ghz and will hamper your full potential signal / range. Unless of course you're flying with the 32 Channel mod in which case you can use one of the high or low channels to reduce any impact the bluetooth being on would have on your reception / range.

Have had no impact on range. The Phantom continues to scan the channels and pick the clearest one, so should have no impact.

Before buying any other blutooth gps do the research? Very few work with apple products and dual is one of those that do.

Anyone try this? It's by Garmin and supports both GPS and Glonass at the same time so it's better than just having GPS. And it's not much more than what you listed.
A few people have reported over time that the GLO works well. Here's a recent post...
P3P Ipad Mini 3 WiFi only and Garmin GLO and Follow Me | DJI Phantom Forum

Also, add on GPS is more accurate than the built in GPS. Plus, if you have add on GPS you can upgrade your tablet over time and not need to spend for the cellular version each time. Especially since for some the new features will only be used every now and then.

Last edited:
Am I right?
Well so much for that idea :( My GPS device should show up tomorrow and I can begin testing the Bluetooth range. Now if I can only find a Bluetooth booster :)

Reactions: Jeff
OK then. If I am reading all this correctly we have a choice between the The Garmin GLO, Bad Elf and also the Dual GPS150 or 160 ?
All three will connect my iPad Mini3 to GPS and be able to use the new features in the FW 1.4 update?
What are the differences between the three and how they work?

Also - sorry if it's been asked - what is the range of the Follow me feature - as in distance between the P3 and ME with the controller? I'm still fuzzy on that.
Are there any detailed tutorials or You Tubes out on this?

Have a job coming up shooting some video from a boat that I would love to use the Follow Me feature and POI for.

thanks!!

Well so much for that idea :( My GPS device should show up tomorrow and I can begin testing the Bluetooth range. Now if I can only find a Bluetooth booster :)

Depends what data you are pumping through. If you are AD2P and streaming Mp3 via BT then it may be max 10m. If you are sending small packs of data like gps data then Bluetooth 1.1 - 1.4 can handle around 100 m range.

If you are really into follow me, switch to android and use Litchi and Litchi Magic Leash. Its unlimited range provided you have 3G/4G data. It pairs via data and hence range is pretty much unlimited. The only issue I have is I get an average of 300-400ms ping lag.

Depends what data you are pumping through. If you are AD2P and streaming Mp3 via BT then it may be max 10m. If you are sending small packs of data like gps data then Bluetooth 1.1 - 1.4 can handle around 100 m range.

If you are really into follow me, switch to android and use Litchi and Litchi Magic Leash. Its unlimited range provided you have 3G/4G data. It pairs via data and hence range is pretty much unlimited. The only issue I have is I get an average of 300-400ms ping lag.

Ok, if I'm using the GPS puck mounted to my RC sailboat and all it's being used for is the GPS follow me function, you think it will have more than a 10 m range. 100 to 200 feet is as far away as I will be sailing in most cases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers