Adding GPS to non-GPS iPad

If you have not got a cellular version, then instead of having to sell your non gps ipad, then the way around it, is buy the addon gps unit. If you have not got an ipad and thinking about it and can get the cellular one cheaper then go for it. For me was cheaper here to get the wifi only version.

This option is really for those who have the wifi version only and a way around getting wifi without the need to sell it and get the cellular version

If you have not got a cellular version, then instead of having to sell your non gps ipad, then the way around it, is buy the addon gps unit. If you have not got an ipad and thinking about it and can get the cellular one cheaper then go for it. For me was cheaper here to get the wifi only version.

This option is really for those who have the wifi version only and a way around getting wifi without the need to sell it and get the cellular version
Add on GPS is often more accurate than the built in GPS. Plus, if you have add on GPS you can upgrade your device over time and not need to spend for the cellular version each time. Especially since for some the new features will only be used every now and then.

Well before the new features were added with this latest FW, add on GPS was used in a similar way to enable the dynamic home point functionality for those who wanted that functionality but had wifi only mobile devices.

Reactions: huntjock
My SkyPro has arrived. Initial impressions are very good. Connected 4 devices at the same time, all reporting excellent results. It's possible to connect 5 devices at anyone time.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
The Dual x150 works really well, I have been using mine since before the upgraded firmware. There is also the X160 model which will use US GPS and GLONASS much like the Phantom but it is quite a bit more money. Worth it to me, very accurate.

Alan

The Dual x150 works really well, I have been using mine since before the upgraded firmware. There is also the X160 model which will use US GPS and GLONASS much like the Phantom but it is quite a bit more money. Worth it to me, very accurate.

Alan
Apartly From what I read somewhere is far more accurate then the gps in the cellular version ipad

Apartly From what I read somewhere is far more accurate then the gps in the cellular version ipad

Yes it is, it can acquire more satellites and refine the position as much as the data allows. For non-govt, purposes there is a built in error factor in gps signals. Only the military gets the high accuracy position.

Alan

I have an iPad mini 1 wi-Fi only. If I purchase the XGPS150A from Amazon and pair it with the iPad that should enable the follow me feature right?
And what app do I use with the GPS module?

I have an iPad mini 1 wi-Fi only. If I purchase the XGPS150A from Amazon and pair it with the iPad that should enable the follow me feature right?
Correct, but only if you run the app, and check it's received the satellite lock and don't close it, leave it running in background.

I first tried it and paired fine with blutooth and the satelite lock button indicated it had satelites, went to run follow me and did not work, closed the go pilot app, ran the dual app and showed I had satelite, then ran the ran the go pilot app again and worked.

Just do a search in the app store for dual gps and will show at least 2. Make sure you pick the right one.

If you got the 160, then pick the 160 app, if yoy got the 150, then pick the 150 app. Picking the wrong one and it won't work.

Does the mini ipad 1 work with the phantom 3?

If you have an iPad mini 1, you may find it will not work with the DJIGO app as the processer is not capable of running it.
Best try and get a more recent one iPad mini like a 2 or 3 with gps capabilities
too.

Thanks

Reactions: Oso
Mini 1 is not compatible with the GO app. Mini 2 is the oldest that will work. A7 processors or later for Apple products.

If you have an iPad mini 1, you may find it will not work with the DJIGO app as the processed is not capable of running it.
Best try and get a more recent ad mini like a 2 or 3 with gps caper ileitis too.

Thanks
Thanks for clearing that up for him. Had an idea the ipad mini 1 did not work, but was not 100% sure

I have no idea how to check what kind of iPad mini I have, lol!!
If you don't know what kind of Mini you have, try to download the GO app. If it wont let you install you have a Mini 1.

OK, please excuse my ignorance. What is dual gps add on? I don't have cellular on my Nvidia Shield so maybe this is what I need. What is the name of the app?

I've had one of the dual units for awhile. I bought it for an auto racing telemetry app I use on my phone on track nights in my car. It's one of the top recommended and most popular bluetooth GPS modules for that. One because the refresh is much higher than what you would get on a cellphone and then telemetry app uses so much processor, it's nice to offset that to something else. I'd definitely recommend it, even if it's a little overkill for something like follow me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic