Adding an Inspire 1 Tablet Holder to P2V+ Transmitter

Reaction score
I just picked up a Vision+ off Craigslist this past weekend and today my Inspire 1 Tablet Holder and sunshade arrived. Searching the forum didn't yield any write-ups on adding this holder to the P2V style transmitter, so I thought I'd do a write-up and pictures if anyone is interested.

Since my Go Professional case will accommodate a folded down tablet / transmitter better than the ball mounted phone holder, I thought I'd go this route instead of 3D printing a clip extender.

Has anyone done this mod yet? Is anyone interested in seeing it done?

By the way; great community, I've been flying a regular Vision and have it dialed in, but had to grab this Vision+ when it popped up cheap. The gimbal had separated, he replaced the ribbon cable but hadn't indexed the horizontal position sensor, once I set that, the camera works perfectly.

That's exactly what I was looking for, my search skills need a little help apparently. The rivet-nut is a great suggestion and I picked up the tool and an assortment of rivet-nuts from Harbor Freight today. The 1/4-20 they sell has the threads recessed and requires a hard crimp which I worried would deform the plastic shell of the transmitter.

Prior to crimping the rivet-nut, I enlarged its center opening with a drill bit so the knurled nut of the Inspire 1 tablet mount would engage properly. The drilling also thinned the rivet-nut wall thickness a little resulting in a softer crimp and zero plastic damage. To further reinforce the mount, I added an epoxy fillet inside the shell around the rivet-nut to spread the load to the transmitter shell and prevent the rivet-nut from loosening in the future.

It's all finished now and the tablet sits on it nicely, the tablet mount can also be removed just like the original Inspire design intended. I can't wait for my first flight with the tablet, it will be a huge improvement over my tiny iPhone 4S screen.

I am looking to do this as well, what are the forums thoughts on using an iPad mini model MD528X/A
it doesnt run any apps except the DJI app and has 12Gb of free space.
Beats trying to peer into a small phone with my old eyes, although with the bigger screen, the resolution appears a lot less chrisp.
Regards Mike

what are the forums thoughts on using an iPad mini model MD528X/A
That iPad Mini has an A5 processor. You need an iPad Mini 2 or 3 -- or another Apple device with an A7 or A8 processor.

I flew with my ASUS tablet last night using the Inspire 1 holder, the only disappointment was the grippers aren't tall enough to securely hold the tablet. I can't use the sunshade and the tablet is just barely held in place, any slight bump and it goes tumbling.

It's even worse with a sunshade under the tablet adding to the thickness. The ASUS tablet isn't even that thick, I'm surprised they didn't make the grippers just a little taller. I wish there was an easy solution, the Inspire tablet holder looks really slick, just falls short in the gripper length dept.

I bought a sunshade from
uctopfpv on Ebay. Comes with necessary tablet holder included. A little more money but worth it.

This ASUS tablet is curved on the back and is just thick enough that the grippers can't get a good purchase on the edge. I'll have to fire up the 3D printer and make some clip on adapters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20