Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Adding a GPS unit to the P2

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Help' started by The Phantom, May 21, 2015.

1. The Phantom

I was thinking of adding some kind of GPS unit to the P2 for localization in case it flies away.
    Im thinking of adding a GPS unit that is not made specially for that task, just an ordinary GPS unit with a smaller size.

Can this be mounted without risking interference from the added GPS module? I was thinking that maybe the GPS module can interfere with the P2´s own GPS or compass or the flight controller in some way?

2. IflyinWY

Sounds like you are talking about a GPS Transceiver. If it's going to transmit while you are flying the P2, that may be an issue, depending on the frequency used. That's about all I can say on the subject.

This is a great way to find things. Google Custom Search for our forum.
    Enter your text in the middle of the screen, not at the top.
    https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

3. landmannnn

I bought a RF-V16 and mounted it using a clip available on ebay uk. The little GPS unit is pretty much just a very small mobile phone which texts you its coordinates when you text a code to it.. No issues with interference.
    [​IMG]

clip http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJI-PHANT...121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a5140d281

JM Levesque likes this.
  4. The Phantom

Okay so the unit you have can not be followed on a map, it only sends its position when you send a text to it?
    But i guess the location is only interesting when you have lost the drone and want to locate it.
    Whats the weight on that GPS?