Adding 2W amplifier to the controller, P3S

Reaction score
After doing the PapaTita's MagicPower mod I was really happy with the video 2,4GHZ feed quality and range. Right now I have always good video quality even in urban areas. But as you can think now my controller range, what is 5,8GHZ, is to short and keeps loosing because I can see further ;)
And yes, I have used a windsurfer, but Im looking for something more. I have considered ARGtek and DBS but I don't like the looks and I don't like that it makes the controller bigger.

I have thought if it would be possible to add an 2W amplifier to the remote? Something like this:
2.4G 2W Radio Signal Booster & Antenna & Feeder For DJI Phantom Multirotor TX Extend Range
Could this be powered from the remotes battery? I would like to build it into the remote, so from the outside you would not recognise it :)))

What do you guys think, will it help? Or has somebody already some experience?

Your controller 5.8ghz is now the limit and you want add a 2.4ghz amp ( 2.4ghz is WiFi for p3s/p3 4k) ???
You need a 5.8ghz amp to boost the rc 5.8ghz range...

Oh yes, now I see. The amp is 2,4GHZ. I need 5,8 to boost 5,8GHZ :D Sorry for the mistake.
Where could I find a small 5,8GHZ amp?

I have yet to read a post by somebody who was happy with a non-Sunhans amp. I suggest you buy a Sunhans. Most use an external battery to power it.

Are there any reasons why not to power the amp from the same battery as the remote?
Technically it is easy to power the amp from the same battery.

Another question, all the 5,8ghz amps seem to be much bigger in size than 2,4ghz.
Does somebody know a small 5,8ghz amp?

Are there any reasons why not to power the amp from the same battery as the remote?

Another question, all the 5,8ghz amps seem to be much bigger in size than 2,4ghz.
power consumption can exceed battery efficiency damage or reduce battery life, booster generates a lot of heat, dont try to built in to remote

The internal battery doesn't have the volts or amps needed to power a add-on amp. Next not sure what amps you're looking at but the Sunhans amps are the same size and weight for 2.4 or 5.8 GHz. Comparing silver to silver and gold to gold, that is. And lastly, all amp mods I've seen are always added to an antenna mod, never to the stock antennas. Personally I think the DBS looks cool added to the remote.
Before amps:

Attachments

• DBS mod.jpg
    DBS mod.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
After doing the PapaTita's MagicPower mod I was really happy with the video 2,4GHZ feed quality and range. Right now I have always good video quality even in urban areas. But as you can think now my controller range, what is 5,8GHZ, is to short and keeps loosing because I can see further ;)
And yes, I have used a windsurfer, but Im looking for something more. I have considered ARGtek and DBS but I don't like the looks and I don't like that it makes the controller bigger.

I have thought if it would be possible to add an 2W amplifier to the remote? Something like this:
2.4G 2W Radio Signal Booster & Antenna & Feeder For DJI Phantom Multirotor TX Extend Range
Could this be powered from the remotes battery? I would like to build it into the remote, so from the outside you would not recognise it :)))

What do you guys think, will it help? Or has somebody already some experience?

I looked at the sunhans amps, but they were expensive, so I looked around on Amazon and found some that work very well for me. The brand is sinmax and they come in 2,4 or 5,8. The 2,4 was only $24 and I think the 5,8 is in the $34 range. Sunhans was well over $100 for both.
Building it inside the controller sounds cool. I hear all the time how the amps heat up, but I usually go through one to two batteries in the drone and the amps get a slightly warm, but not hot.
The power supply for the amp would have to be better than the one in the controller, but maybe you could fit a 3s 7.4v battery in there as well, lol.
Your controller would be what we call a car, a sleeper, lol.
Maybe add a hood scoop to the controller for the battery, lol.

Putting everything inside the controller is just not going to work. There's just not enough room for everything and even if you could.... those amps still need air for cooling.

The stock 5.8ghz antenna is pretty wimpy. I have taken one apart. It's a whopping 2.5dbi.

If you only want to mod the 5.8ghz and If you don't want to get too crazy and you want to do something cheap, but reliable and effective.

Get this:

8" U.FL to RP-SMA Female WiFi wireless adapter antenna Pigtail cable (US Stock) | eBay

along with:

WiFi Antenna Dual Band 7dBi 2.4GHz/5.8GHz for Wireless Network Router New | eBay

and replace JUST the middle antenna

Install is the same as the 5.8ghz in this video:

Phantom 3 Standard with Sunhans 2.5w on 2.4ghz, 2w on 5.8ghz with Alfa APA M04 & APA M25 antennas 6,845 metres out 13,690 metres return - linear distances

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4