Added a gimbal and some other goodies!

BMc

Reaction score
Well, my new parts finally arrived. I already modded my Tx however my gimbal and extended landing gear finally showed up so I installed them this evening. I went against the grain and bought a $100 amazon gimbal and after a fair amount of tinkering it works pretty darn well! I changed the mounting position of the FC40 camera which is still used for FPV. I am now trying to decide whether I want to extend the range of the FC40 cam with a repeater or eliminate it all together and use a 2.4 ghx Tx/Rx system using the gopro video to a monitor on the radio controller.

Anywho, here is how she is at the moment. No flights yet, need to spend some time with the wife ;)
IMG_3917_zpsbf440462.jpg

IMG_3922_zps41ebce7f.jpg

IMG_3923_zpsa6f4446d.jpg

IMG_3924_zps3da71c2e.jpg

IMG_3926_zpsb216e28c.jpg

IMG_3927_zps5bf6404e.jpg

IMG_3920_zpsf561f165.mp4.html

IMG_3921_zpsbd92dc2a.mp4.html

Stay tuned for flight videos!

cool, I just got mine, I got like 8 "toy" quads, the FC is my first "good" one, still in the learning stages of function and operation.
I'll be adding some cool stuff too in the future, I'm not real anxious to take it apart yet tho :)

Today, I installed my 'goodluckbuy' gimbal. I've started out on the cheap, by just using my FC40 camera (velcroed to the end of the camera mount bar, a delicate balancing job.) Eventually, I will purchase a GoPro. Looks like you are utilizing 3 batteries? I will be anxious to see your flight videos.

JeffHVT said:
Today, I installed my 'goodluckbuy' gimbal. I've started out on the cheap, by just using my FC40 camera (velcroed to the end of the camera mount bar, a delicate balancing job.) Eventually, I will purchase a GoPro. Looks like you are utilizing 3 batteries? I will be anxious to see your flight videos.

Can you post pics of your setup?
Iam doing the same this weekend.

Thanks!

ericdes said:
JeffHVT said:

Thanks!

I will try to upload photo. I wrapped a single edge razor blade with electrical tape on the far edge of the camera mount (lightweight filler to cover the mounting slot and give a level platform.) I then put velcro over the tape and on bottom of camera (removed from mounting frame.) Finally, I used the velcro mounting strap (provided with gimbal) to further secure the camera to the mounting bar. I had to experiment with placement to get the balance right and keep the gimbal from going nuts.
For installation and wiring of the gimbal, I referenced a few youtube videos.

Attachments

• P1020603.jpg
    P1020603.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 829
Awesome, I have the same gimbal which I plugged in without issues.

I will try this method, did you try flying this way?

I noticed that the pitch control moves it 180 degrees, pointing up and pointing down.

Di you leave it this way?

ericdes said:
Awesome, I have the same gimbal which I plugged in without issues.

I will try this method, did you try flying this way?

I noticed that the pitch control moves it 180 degrees, pointing up and pointing down.

Di you leave it this way?

Yes, I flew it and liked the camera performance. However, in a strong wind the quad did not respond too well and I crashed. I think I will re-calibrate compass and try to adjust pitch of quad (tips forward on take-off and landing) I left the camera pitch at 180 as I have a 5k pot, on top of xmitter and can easily control it. I did reduce the pitch speed to about 20% to smooth out transitions.

I am only running 2 batteries. The space in the craft is empty. I just notched the door so the power lead can pass through with it being latched shut. This particular gimbal is going to need a bit more fine tuning. I have it configured in NAZA assistant and I can control the pitch via the remote however if the gimbal goes more than 45 degrees above or below the horizontal plane, it begins to oscillate from pointing straight up to straight down. I will have to play with the limits some but right now it is set at 0 min and 245 max which lets me point it down a fair bit without it going silly.

The gimbal motors do make a slight groaning noise (not silent) but it works as it should to autolevel. We will see how it goes but being this is a starter quad, it works as I needed it too!

I will pony up the bucks on my next multi however if this one plummets from the sky, I won't be out too much!

JeffHVT said:
ericdes said:
JeffHVT said:

Thanks!

I will try to upload photo. I wrapped a single edge razor blade with electrical tape on the far edge of the camera mount (lightweight filler to cover the mounting slot and give a level platform.) I then put velcro over the tape and on bottom of camera (removed from mounting frame.) Finally, I used the velcro mounting strap (provided with gimbal) to further secure the camera to the mounting bar. I had to experiment with placement to get the balance right and keep the gimbal from going nuts.
For installation and wiring of the gimbal, I referenced a few youtube videos.

I see you passed the power wires through the same leg as one of the antennas. Personally I wouldn't do that. Isolate those antennas as much as possible.

Finally got outside and flew it. With the new 200 gram cheapo gimbal, 100 gram gopro and twin batteries, she is on the portly side only getting about 8 minutes of flight time. I am going to see how it does on a single 2200 battery and will likely be going to a single 5200 mah battery because it will save me 50 grams while netting 800 mah over my twin battery setup. Anyway, works perfectly. Pitch lever manually controls it. I need to play with the settings more because it wants to go all the way down or all the way up so I need to slow the manual speed way down.

Anyway, here is a really boring video. You can see at about 2:30 I start hammering it around and was only able to get it to become noticeable when I went at the controls like a madman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4VxNQyELk

JeffHVT said:

How do you put the FC40 camera on a gimbal?

My gimbal is designed for the GoPro so when I put my FC40 camera on it does not balance because the FC40 cam is too light.

rustysd said:
JeffHVT said:

How do you put the FC40 camera on a gimbal?

My gimbal is designed for the GoPro so when I put my FC40 camera on it does not balance because the FC40 cam is too light.

I've seen people add weight with screws, pieces of wood, or small sheets of aluminum. Basically just add a little weight, and try it out.

With what did you stick the fc40 camera to the phantom? velcro?
if so any kind in particular? isn't it a little risky?
thinking about doing the same

Thanks!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4