Active Track Tips?

Reaction score
Earlier today I attempted to familiarize myself with "ActiveTrack" in the Go 4 app. I went to a local skate park and tried locking on to some skaters, but the active track feature performed horribly. It would lock on for a few seconds but it seemed like as soon as someone would move enough to be out of frame the phantom would attempt to follow, but immediately loose the subject. Has anybody had any success using this feature in a similar scenario? Is Litchi active track or whatever litchi calls it better? Are there some settings I can tweak to get a better lock? Any input would be great.

How close was the drone to what you were drawing your box around? I tried it last week for the first time and it worked perfectly for me running all over the place. I had AC about 50-70ft away from me probably. You may have to get closer and lock on one skater.

I started close at first, but I thought that maybe being close was causing the problem as the skaters changed directions. I then attempted medium distance away and again from as far away as I could be with the phantom still acquiring a lock. It didnt handle direction changes very well at all, which happened frequently. Even if the direction changes were slow, it would loose its lock. I wasted two whole battery charges trying to figure this out. If i would have just flown manual I would have got some awesome shots, but i really wanted to figure out and practice using the intelligent flight modes. I thought about contrast and tried to lock on to a specific person with a bright green shirt on but I had the same results

How bright was it there? And did you have your exposure up pretty bright on screen as well? Skate shots would be rad too!

It was a sunny day in southern Arizona. Exposure was Auto, except white balance, Had that set on sunny.

I tapped on the subject and the green box appeared and then I tapped "go". I was shooting in 1080p, 60 fps. Maybe it had something to do with the direction changes or the shade of the concrete that the skatepark was constructed from. I'm a little torn, I really wanna go back and try again, but I don't want to miss awesome shots, so part of me wants to go back and fly manual instead.

Or maybe because there were other people in the frame it had some effect on it. They never crossed paths though, so I dont know how that would effect it

Even in Litchi that function is glitchy. (Rhyme not intended)...

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I tapped on the subject and the green box appeared and then I tapped "go". I was shooting in 1080p, 60 fps. Maybe it had something to do with the direction changes or the shade of the concrete that the skatepark was constructed from. I'm a little torn, I really wanna go back and try again, but I don't want to miss awesome shots, so part of me wants to go back and fly manual instead.
Which Active Track mode were you using? When you draw your box on the subject, you should get a sidebar on the right of the screen where you can select Trace/Profile/Spotlight. Maybe worth trying Spotlight...drone hovers in place, and automatically spins to keep the subject centered.

Which Active Track mode were you using? When you draw your box on the subject, you should get a sidebar on the right of the screen where you can select Trace/Profile/Spotlight. Maybe worth trying Spotlight...drone hovers in place, and automatically spins to keep the subject centered.
Hmmmm, I didn't see that there were 3 diff options in Active Track Mode rockydog. Def check that out next time I try it. Thx man.

I think if you just tap on the subject, it automatically goes into trace mode -( not absolutely sure)- ,but if you draw a box round the subject, it will give the options.

I think if you just tap on the subject, it automatically goes into trace mode -( not absolutely sure)- ,but if you draw a box round the subject, it will give the options.
Wow. Ok. I did the draw a box when I did it last week. Worked super cool for me. But I didn't see the options I don't think. I'll check it closer next time.

I was using track. It seemed to loose its lock the most if somebody changed directions. Does having other people in the frame confuse it even if they dont cross paths or even get that close?

Other people in the shot shouldn't make any difference. Provide your subject is clearly defined against the background it should keep tracking when they change direction. If the subject's clothes blend in with the background -(e.g. green clothing against grass or trees)- it could have a problem tracking them.

Yeah, see, something's just not adding up. Do you think because I was using an iPad mini 2 and the display glitches sometimes had anything to do with it? Does it track by what's displayed on the screen or is that all thinking done at the drone before that info even makes it to the display?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers