Achieving Stable Video

A

aerialvisionz

I have recently received my P2 w/ H3-D2 mount. My first quad other than a small, cheap practice one.

I will being by saying how impressed I am with this piece of equipment. Using it, I can't help but think of the future of robotics and where it will lead in the next couple decades. It actually gets me thinking about the pending arrival of Singularity as well.

Singularity aside ;) I just had my third flight. It was over water. A couple clips from it in the link below. I notice the video is slightly jerky even when using the gimbal and am trying to figure out how to reduce it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHNbMfJi ... load_owner

A couple things that I am wondering may be an issue??

1) I flew in GPS mode. I have read that ATTI mode may offer smoother video I definitely was not ready for ATTI mode yet especially over water.
2) In the DJI software I notice that there is on/off settings for the gimbal switch. Not quite sure what this does as with it set both on & off the gimbal still operates.
3) Are folks getting good results by balancing the stock Phantom props? I order a balancing rod for the Phantoms self-tightening props to test. Have not received it yet.
4) I notice that there are a different couple sets of "rubber balls" for the gimbal that came with the Phantom. They are different colors. Do the colors signify anything?

I am very excited to finally to be involved with this hobby. And hope to pass on some knowledge as I slowly learn. These forums are such a valuable resource and what I have learned so far would not be possible without the great input from others!

Smooth operation of the controls is the most important. ATTI mode will definitely yield smoother results. GPS mode is like driving a car with the hand brake on. ATTI mode is like driving a car with no brakes at all. It is scary at first but if you practice it in a nice safe area, you can get the swing of it. And keep your finger near the S1 switch to pop back into GPS mode if you find the P2 slip sliding away. Just give yourself a lot of space to get comfortable with it.

The rest of the motion is down to the fact the gimbal is 2D and not 3D. When wind jostles the P2 about the yaw axis, it will show up in your video. Not much you can do there. The different rubber mounts have different firmness and will effect the damping of the gimbal. Which ones are better for what, I have no idea yet.

I love your analogy, Ianwood. Thank you. Sure enough, when I flew a bit with ATTI this afternoon it resulted in smoother video! And nice to have GPS a switch away.

A three axis gimbal does look incredible. Maybe the Phantom will inherit it soon from the S800

aerialvisionz said:
1) I flew in GPS mode. I have read that ATTI mode may offer smoother video I definitely was not ready for ATTI mode yet especially over water.
2) In the DJI software I notice that there is on/off settings for the gimbal switch. Not quite sure what this does as with it set both on & off the gimbal still operates.
3) Are folks getting good results by balancing the stock Phantom props? I order a balancing rod for the Phantoms self-tightening props to test. Have not received it yet.
4) I notice that there are a different couple sets of "rubber balls" for the gimbal that came with the Phantom. They are different colors. Do the colors signify anything?

#1) Yes atti mode will produce smoother video. Another trick is go into assistant, go to your gain settings and reduce attitude gains by 10%. Atti gains are the reaction to stick control whereas basic gains(above them) are for reaction from wind, etc...

#2) the gimbal on/off is for pitch control - up & down

#3) balancing props is good practice as there is no standard for prop manufacturing and there are some good one and some not so good ones.

#4) colored balls if it's Zenmuse - Black is stiffest, grey is medium and white is lightest...

Your video wasn't that terribly bad and with practice you'll be pretty good...

#1) Yes atti mode will produce smoother video. Another trick is go into assistant, go to your gain settings and reduce attitude gains by 10%. Atti gains are the reaction to stick control whereas basic gains(above them) are for reaction from wind, etc...

I will give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

#2) the gimbal on/off is for pitch control - up & down

I am still confused on this one. I turned the Gimbal Switch off and the pitch control still works on the Phantom. The switch on the backside of the remote, right? Is there a step necessary to implement changes made in the software onto the Phantom? Changing settings like servo travel limits of the gimbal and speed, I also do not see the changes taking effect on the Phantom. Looks like I may be missing something to update software changes onto the Phantom.

#3) balancing props is good practice as there is no standard for prop manufacturing and there are some good one and some not so good ones.

Good to hear as I ordered some tools. Let you folks know my results

The gimbal on/off switch is for people using third party gimbal. If you are using H32D, you should turn this to 'OFF'

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers