accidentally shut off motors mid flight

Reaction score
Is it possible to do this? Lets say your 100m or so in altitude and you want to come down quickly so you pull the left stick all the way down for 3 seconds will the motors shut down and you crash bird?

Last edited:
Is it possible to do this? Lets say your 100m or so in altitude and you want to come down quickly so you pull the left stick all the way down for e seconds will the motors shut down and you crash bird?
Lean on that left stick all you like and the only thing that will happen (until you land) is that the Phantom will descend.
You can do it all the way from 120 metres up (and more) with no problem.
The smart designers at DJI didn't make something that would shut down in a normal descent.

But don't ever try a CSC mid-flight because (just as it says in the manual) that will spoil your day.
i-ZhRNmjb.jpg

Reactions: M Scott
Is it possible to do this? Lets say your 100m or so in altitude and you want to come down quickly so you pull the left stick all the way down for 3 seconds will the motors shut down and you crash bird?
It happened to me! I started out with what I thought was a typical calibration dance before takeoff, hit the motor start, and immediately had a full power flyaway straight up. The bird climbed to maybe 100' before I pulled both joysticks full down. The motors stopped at altitude with the bird crashing down (fortunately!) onto the metal roof of my shop. I have absolutely NO idea what caused this as I had maybe 50 successful flights prior, as well as maybe 15 on a friend's P2. Damage to the shell, mainly metal threaded tie plates and nuts that came loose from the molding. I bought a new shell kit, as well as a whole new receiver board because the antenna wire end shells came loose, one lost.

The bird climbed to maybe 100' before I pulled both joysticks full down. The motors stopped at altitude with the bird crashing down
That's called a CSC. Get the CSC Safety and you can prevent that from accidentally happening again.

It happened to me! I started out with what I thought was a typical calibration dance before takeoff, hit the motor start, and immediately had a full power flyaway straight up. The bird climbed to maybe 100' before I pulled both joysticks full down. The motors stopped at altitude with the bird crashing down (fortunately!) onto the metal roof of my shop. I have absolutely NO idea what caused this as I had maybe 50 successful flights prior, as well as maybe 15 on a friend's P2. Damage to the shell, mainly metal threaded tie plates and nuts that came loose from the molding. I bought a new shell kit, as well as a whole new receiver board because the antenna wire end shells came loose, one lost.
I'm wondering, did you try pulling the left stick down first? Knowing that pulling down the right stick would send it backwards, did you purposely do a csc because you panicked?

On the P2, any combination of lower corners will cause a CSC (e.g. both sticks at 4:30). Not sure about a P3. So be careful.

It happened to me! I started out with what I thought was a typical calibration dance before takeoff, hit the motor start, and immediately had a full power flyaway straight up. The bird climbed to maybe 100' ...

Reactions: iowahill
I'm wondering, did you try pulling the left stick down first? Knowing that pulling down the right stick would send it backwards, did you purposely do a csc because you panicked?
Had I not killed the motors, the bird would have probably ended up somewhere in the Rockies!
That's called a CSC. Get the CSC Safety and you can prevent that from accidentally happening again.
My CSC was intentional as I had no other control as the bird continued to fly higher. Better to deal with imminent damage than total loss!

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
I have a silly question about performing a CSC while in flight:

Under what circumstance would anyone need to apply full yaw, full-speed descent and full throttle in that specific direction? Either mode of a CSC will induce an all-out, full-speed corkscrew decent.

Had I not killed the motors, the bird would have probably ended up somewhere in the Rockies!

My CSC was intentional as I had no other control as the bird flew higher.
That's pretty wild, I have friends that live in Iowa Hill, I belong to the Goldhounds also :)

I was thinking that you looked familiar Tom :)

I have a silly question about performing a CSC while in flight:

Under what circumstance would anyone need to apply full yaw, full-speed descent and full throttle in that specific direction? Either mode of a CSC will induce an all-out, full-speed corkscrew decent.

Well it's actually full deflection of 4 channels (you omitted Roll and Pitch).
It is difficult to convince some newbs that CSC is not an combo you'd ever perform in normal flight of a flying camera.
This is followed by dozens of better ideas and needless worry they're going to crash due to accidental activation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj