About to take the plunge

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to the board and am about to be new to the Phantom. I recently purchased a GoPro Hero 3+ Black, and now I can't wait to get it up in the air! Within the next few days I will purchase a Phantom on Amazon. I'm looking at the P2 (non video) with the H3-2D gimble.

My hope is to use it for great aerial footage of vacations, and to help locating bad guys at work who run and hide in the desert.

My question is this: Besides what I am purchasing, what all else do I need to be able to get FPV? I can't use the goggles because I have be be able to see around me for obvious safety reasons. Secondly, how much is it going to cost me? And finally, are there issues with the signals from an FPV system that could cause the Phantom to crash?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Hopefully if I get a few good arrests and a dope load or two, the department may look into getting some and putting them out in the field. Who knows, but I'm sure it will be fun regardless :)

pokercop said:
My hope is to use it for great areal footage of vacations, and to help locating bad guys at work who run and hide in the desert.

Two very different uses. Are you buying this professionally or personally? I would have thought they would need to be mutual exclusive. Anyway, I am sure you know the rules better than I do. Curious about the LEO use of Phantoms. Can you tell us more about it?

pokercop said:
My question is this: Besides what I am purchasing, what all else do I need to be able to get FPV? I can't use the goggles because I have be be able to see around me for obvious safety reasons. Secondly, how much is it going to cost me? And finally, are there issues with the signals from an FPV system that could cause the Phantom to crash?

We get asked the same FPV questions here pretty much a few times a day. (side-note: It's time for some stickies!) There are dozens of different FPV options and only you can decide which is best for you. Your best bet is to read many of the existing posts about FPV and ask specific questions in those threads to figure it out.

Whatever you do, do it quick. Several states are already preparing laws that will restrict drone use (including Phantoms) by law enforcement and other state/local agencies. I haven't seen NV on that list...yet...but the tide is building and since that is something the states can regulate, your ability to use it for several of your intended purposes may be clipped sooner than later.

As for LEO use, this would strictly be used (by me anyway) in rural desert areas. I can save time by flying out to see if the bad guy ditched the vehicle before taking a long hike. I can see where the dope runners ran to, etc. It would not be used in urban areas (don't need that headache). Obviously if the reatrictions come, I will follow them, but I really don't think they would affect my particular application.

Mostly the Phantom will be used for my own personal use.

pokercop said:
As for LEO use, this would strictly be used (by me anyway) in rural desert areas. I can save time by flying out to see if the bad guy ditched the vehicle before taking a long hike. I can see where the dope runners ran to, etc. It would not be used in urban areas (don't need that headache). Obviously if the reatrictions come, I will follow them, but I really don't think they would affect my particular application.

Mostly the Phantom will be used for my own personal use.

Understood, and I'm certainly not an LEO or lawyer, just wanted you to know the momentum is starting to build on all that quickly now.

I get the impression that if some of these bills get signed, some (on a state-by-state basis) will state that pursuits and tracking are some of the uses that require a judge's signature each time. I just don't want you to undermine your efforts if someone who should be confined gets off because they saw your Phantom ;)

Believe me when I say I fully support UAV use by LEO and any other civil agency when it's truly for the public benefit and doesn't step on rights, and using them to assist in an existing pursuit certainly would seem to fall within those parameters.

I can see how improper use could certainly violate people's rights (looking in someone's backyard for evidence without concent or warrant for example.... Basically anywhere where there is an expectation of privacy), and there is no way I would do that. However, in the case of a bailout in a rural area, the right of privacy is non-existent.

If you plan to use this for LEO work what legal agreements do you have with your superiors if someone or something gets hurt or damaged by the use of the Phantom. Will it fall solely on you or will you be covered by your department?

Plus I thought that DHS was giving local departments military surplus drones for this purpose.

They already use them for border patrol. Here in LA, police helicopters are buzzing 24/7 with their thermal imaging looking for baddies. I think there are certain applications where LEOs can use multirotors very effectively. I am sure it will evoke a visceral response from a lot of people. They may see a slippery slope to the spider-like critters they had in Minority Report. Personally, just don't strap a radar gun to one and I'm cool with it!

SRT said:
If you plan to use this for LEO work what legal agreements do you have with your superiors if someone or something gets hurt or damaged by the use of the Phantom. Will it fall solely on you or will you be covered by your department?

Plus I thought that DHS was giving local departments military surplus drones for this purpose.

First off, I'm talking more along the lines of "Hide & Go Seek", Not "Dodge Ball". I can fly straight up a few hundred feet and see off in the distance if a vehicle or people are running away. This would be in a very rural area (no houses or buildings of any kind) along dirt trails far away from paved roads.

You do bring up a good point though. Anything can happen I suppose. Perhaps a better idea would be to do some mock scenarios and film from both ends. Then I could show the video to the higher ups and give them an idea how valuable it can be for rural policing. It would cost a hell of a lot less to fly a Phantom overhead for a few minutes than to call for helicopter support to briefly circle the area. Then if they agree, the department could shell out the dough and set up procedures and training. Again, we are talking about only rural areas where no property can be damaged, and no privacy issues exist.

Mav456 said:
No
Don't take the plunge yet. Dji is going to announce a free batt with the P2 it's coming later in March

Everything I'm reading says that offer is only for the P2 Vision, not the P2

Mav456 said:
No
Don't take the plunge yet. Dji is going to announce a free batt with the P2 it's coming later in March

If the free battery offer is also for the P2 and not only the P2V, I might wait. I was planning on buying the P2 with gimble tomorrow for $869 on Amazon. If the free extra battery offer rumor is reliable I will hold out, but it would suck to wait am extra month and find out it didn't happen. ... ugh.

pokercop said:
First off, I'm talking more along the lines of "Hide & Go Seek", Not "Dodge Ball". I can fly straight up a few hundred feet and see off in the distance if a vehicle or people are running away. This would be in a very rural area (no houses or buildings of any kind) along dirt trails far away from paved roads.

You do bring up a good point though. Anything can happen I suppose. Perhaps a better idea would be to do some mock scenarios and film from both ends. Then I could show the video to the higher ups and give them an idea how valuable it can be for rural policing. It would cost a hell of a lot less to fly a Phantom overhead for a few minutes than to call for helicopter support to briefly circle the area. Then if they agree, the department could shell out the dough and set up procedures and training. Again, we are talking about only rural areas where no property can be damaged, and no privacy issues exist.

I understand what your intended use will be. I just want to make sure that if ( which may be a 100,000,000 to 1 long shot) that this would not end up hurting your job if something were to go wrong.

You do have a great idea to make a mock up of what you plan to do showing the end results. If I were to tell my management what I would "like" to do about something 99% of the time they do not see the idea through my eyes. But what they see in a video of your visual perspective and actions, then you have a better chance of getting the approval. Video is the equalizer here as you all see the same thing.

If you get the approval, you will have a Tactical Phantom but not the first Tactical Phantom... :twisted:

And thank you for your service. 73's

cruiser56 said:
I am also thinking of taking the plunge, how reliable is this about free battery?
Based on the enormous amount of responses to that question, I'm not going to hold my breath on the free battery offer for the P2.

Mav456 said:
The free battery offer is coming soon for
Spring season. I just got off the phone with bang good.com they are great, I ordered my p2v from them.

Bang good?

ianwood said:
Mav456 said:
The free battery offer is coming soon for
Spring season. I just got off the phone with bang good.com they are great, I ordered my p2v from them.

Bang good?

lol chinese company

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31