About to defect from Vision to Phantom 2

At long last I have had my maiden flight with the new Phantom 2. I had to wait until I got a charger and the right connectors to charge up my FPV monitor battery. Today the rain stopped but it was windy. A perfect opportunity then to try out the Zenmuse gimbal. Imagine my horror when I checked the film and it was as bumpy as with my Vision. I was heartbroken ....... until I realised I had loaded an old clip onto my timeline. :oops: :oops:

Everything went well and the FPV system with the mini IOSD is really nice to use. I didn't want to push my luck too far on its first flight so I just had a quick blast up and down my flying field. The best part about the IOSD is the little marker that shows you your take off position. Once you lose visual with the Quadcopter its so easy to turn it around until the marker is in the centre of the screen and then give full forward to bring it right back to you.

Short film of the maiden flight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbzeXoKWc-w[/youtube]

hello Shrimpfarmer. I am going to order the same setup from quardcopers. sick of the wifi range and video. can i ask you what is your new video range with Immersion Rc 600mw 5.8Ghz Video Transmitter setup? when I had the Phantom vision with the wifi repeater mod i went about 800m and still hold the video. thanks

I too decided to take the plunge and purchased a near identical setup as ShrimpFarmer. I was suposed to get my P2 today but the FedEx delivery driver seemed to have dropped the ball (another story).

Anyway, I researched it a long time and was very resistant to the GoPro configuration, but I decided to take the plunge anyway. I'm sure it will have plus and minus issues, but I'm looking forward to the experience.

As for my Vision....great start! I'm seeing the potential to get some really spectacular shots, mostly video I'm sure, but I'll remain optimistic!

I should have it tomorrow and I will take my time getting it all dialed in. I ordered some goggles and are E/R too. I plan to get a lot out of this set up and I will share when I do!

Here are a couple of my P2V photos....
G3osOGI5Rt8Ut1MNLN8CYDYZgqWmox1-reCHRHCXX6w=w276-h207-p-no

kYumLqWaYLWOB8HArws-VDZ8Sld5g1nNhMoC5esLm8U=w276-h207-p-no

8ciM_dNVSvAa6srJooMR_H33GQm-SNrEzSGLhJAKnq0=w216-h162-p-no

NonamAWup2pkWjKuzEGaAgWN6jqNUWKPa1NQ9wlvjgE=w216-h162-p-no

And one video.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/JcsrMq6EWB6xZDs_ve9irkIz9nzz7afMAf62buFscNk=w367-h207-p-no

There is no doubt that the iOSD display gives you great information. The diamond (or degree arrow if your actual position is off-screen) makes it a snap to drive the airframe back to start. As long as there is video (I haven't lost it as yet but I've only gone out a couple hundred meters), you won't lose orientation. I didn't have a P2V first so when I saw these features, I was deeply impressed. Just knowing battery levels when the indicators are not oriented towards you (or you can't see them) is a godsend. The only problem is that you can't record the on-screen display (you just get the GoPro image on the GoPro). That means I had to get a portable dvr of some sort because I wanted to make PIP footage for a project coming up. Went cheap with no good result. Am now going a bit more expensive.

leekawey said:
hello Shrimpfarmer. I am going to order the same setup from quardcopers. sick of the wifi range and video. can i ask you what is your new video range with Immersion Rc 600mw 5.8Ghz Video Transmitter setup? when I had the Phantom vision with the wifi repeater mod i went about 800m and still hold the video. thanks

Hi

Sorry but I have not tried to see how far it can go yet. I will post as soon as I get the opportunity though. The only reason I didn't try it on the maiden flight was I forgot my glasses so I couldn't read the screen data !! I know its sad but true. The other thing I didn't have working right was there was data from my Gopro overlaying data from the Mini IoSD. I have now learn't how to turn that off in the Gopro Menu, so the data display is now as it should be.

Hi

Sorry but I have not tried to see how far it can go yet. I will post as soon as I get the opportunity though. The only reason I didn't try it on the maiden flight was I forgot my glasses so I couldn't read the screen data !! I know its sad but true. The other thing I didn't have working right was there was data from my Gopro overlaying data from the Mini IoSD. I have now learn't how to turn that off in the Gopro Menu, so the data display is now as it should be.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I am sure it will go at least a mile but the UK weather is terrible at the moment. I will wait for better weather before making my purchase. can i ask how do you use gopro take a photo while it on the sky? and i know you have to start the recording first on gopro compare to vision use the phone to control every thing anytime.

I finally got my P2...... And after a bit of a struggle with soldering, I was able to get a couple of test flights in even though it was a bit windy (which was a test in itself).
2UoeQxUkrbBklD7WbBHDHTXn0wsd4noLsZJKxglbNFE=w1153-h865-no

Success, except for my IOSD (but I wanted a daylight test). My 1st was in 1080 60.....Awesome.....cant even tell it was windy. 2nd, was in 1080 30 with pics ever 5 sec...... I do miss having total control over the camera in the P2V, but that annoying twitch for side movement was unacceptable for video.

G0080294.JPG

So, I'm gonna have to keep em both....at least until something comes up that makes them both obsolete!

I did get my IOSD figured out.....it was just a matter of getting the assistant program....and once I did....Bing... I got telemetry...Sweet!

I cant wait till tomorrow..... I'm gonna do some more flight testing....hopefully mild or no wind!

Mav456 said:
Shrimp how was the brightness of the BlackPearl? What was your maximum range? Curious minds wanna know lol

Hi

Ok brightness was not as good as I expected, however to be fair I didn't have the monitor shield fitted. With that in place its much better and its a really good design and fit. Also, I had it on the default brightness level which I have since turned up to high. I couldn't get the monitor menu to come up and its not clear in the booklet that comes with it how it works. Had to watch a youtube video to see how someone else got it to work and its all in how quick you press the power button after its powered up.

What I did find was the Gopro seems far more affected by light conditions. If your flying into the sun at all the picture becomes very dark. Its ok to fly but it would not be good if your were trying to fly close to objects. Turn away from the sun and its fine. I found the vision camera is much better at handling this light difference.

Mav456 said:
Thanks for the info my friend shrimp. How far are you getting reliable FPV? I Am about to take the plunge too!

Can't say yet. I may get a chance to test range tomorrow.

Mav456 said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
Mav456 said:
Thanks for the info my friend shrimp. How far are you getting reliable FPV? I Am about to take the plunge too!

Can't say yet. I may get a chance to test range tomorrow.
Many of us are living vicariously through you Shrimp! Have you perhaps considered creating a youtube video review of your setup. That would be great for alot of us!

Kenny
Flying in Santa Monica

I have not because I consider my setup to be pretty standard stuff. If I get a chance to fly though I will get my wife to take some video of the gear working so people can see how it performs. I want to take it unto the South Downs and test range their as there are no obstructions to signal or visual line of sight. Have to say though that a huge range is not that important to me. I do have my heart set on a flight to Beachy Head Lighthouse a distance on only 300 - 400 metres from the cliff.

Time will tell. I thought today was going to be clear but its raining hard in Sussex.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I have not because I consider my setup to be pretty standard stuff. If I get a chance to fly though I will get my wife to take some video of the gear working so people can see how it performs. I want to take it unto the South Downs and test range their as there are no obstructions to signal or visual line of sight. Have to say though that a huge range is not that important to me. I do have my heart set on a flight to Beachy Head Lighthouse a distance on only 300 - 400 metres from the cliff.

Time will tell. I thought today was going to be clear but its raining hard in Sussex.

Have you done any filming at Devil’s Dyke? Or plan to...

fly-catchers said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Have you done any filming at Devil’s Dyke? Or plan to...

I have not tried Devil's Dyke but I would imagine its a great site. Why are you thinking of coming across one day?

Mav456 said:
I kno the weather has been brutal with Gail winds and cold. Shrimp, your new P2 setup is the BlackPearl bright enough for you to use FPV reliably to get your shots in close? How is your overall range with your new setup i.e. Meters until the signal starts to breakup and than until total signal loss in FPV? Have you gotten your spiro antennas yet?

Kenny
Flying in Santa Monica

Did a range test today for you. I will post the video here later today.

Ok here is the film from my range test. I think it will go further provided I push the altitude up more. Note when I say coming back in the video I mean that I am continuing to fly further away from the take off point, not flying back home. The reason I flew backwards is that I wanted to see what the reception was like with the Tx antenna on the opposite side of the quad to me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61_89SFBqbM[/youtube]

Further to the above test it may be that I have been sent two identical antennas when I think one is supposed to be longer than the other. Seeking clarification from quadcopters.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Further to the above test it may be that I have been sent two identical antennas when I think one is supposed to be longer than the other. Seeking clarification from quadcopters.

If you're talking about the spironet antennas, they are TX/RX specific. If you mix them up, your range will be impacted.

ianwood said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

If you're talking about the spironet antennas, they are TX/RX specific. If you mix them up, your range will be impacted.

Hi Ian

That is what I understood however having spoken with my supplier Quadcopters UK, they advise that the latest antennas have 4 lobes instead of the original 3 lobe and 4 lobe sets as ImmersionRC state it gives better performance. Not that good in my case though :)

Shrimpfarmer said:
That is what I understood however having spoken with my supplier Quadcopters UK, they advise that the latest antennas have 4 lobes instead of the original 3 lobe and 4 lobe sets as ImmersionRC state it gives better performance. Not that good in my case though :)

Haven't heard that before but I'm not exactly an expert so... Anyway, I would have thought you'd get much better reception than you did. I have a 250mW Fatshark TX and a single (non-diversity) receiver both using spironets. It gets pretty consistent reception out to 500m in a more urban environment. I am too chicken to go further. I do get the same choppiness when I turn around though.

The spironets I just purchased have nothing identifying rx from tx. I figured they were fine in either position. How do I tell which one goes where?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic