About to defect from Vision to Phantom 2

Reaction score
I love the Phantom Vision but its camera is not for me anymore. I am about to order a Phantom 2 from Quadcopters UK.

This is the package

DJI Phantom 2 FPV Edition with Zenmuse H3-2D

DJI Phantom 2 with H3-2D Gopro Gimbal and Fpv Tx and FPV Diversity Monitor.
Fitting options are available in either plug and play or we will professionally install for you.
Comes with the best set up we believe is available for First Person View featuring a
Immersion Rc 600mw 5.8Ghz Video Transmitter
Black Pearl High Def HDMI 5.8Ghz 32 Channel Diversity 7" Monitor with sunshield and Lipo Battery for the Monitor.
The Fpv Monitor will come with a 2200mah 3s Lipo and jst to deans adapter.
Mini IOSD

All of this built by their engineers is going to cost me £995. I already have a Gopro 3 Black Edition.

Extras I am going to order are:
DJI monitor mount.
Charger for Monitor Lipo.

The engineer I spoke with recommended upgrading to the Spironet Patch Antenna to dramatically improve my FPV range. I am awaiting a reply from Quadcopters to some questions before I take the plunge.

Anyone else want to offer any words of wisdom and experience. All gratefully received.

Shrimpy

I recently made the switch and am very happy I did so. I had a lot of fun with my Vision, but it was always some little problem, one after another, and the video was so shaky. After one flight with my new FPV Phantom 2 I sold my Vision and have never looked back. Nothing like a gimbal for great video and real FPV with a large screen. It is a total blast, and totally trouble free. Both my Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 fell better made than my Vision. Perhaps I just had a bad one. Only negative, and it is small, is I'm using a GoPro Hero and while video is better than the Vision camera, still photos are not at good. They are acceptable though. Finally, I got my FPV custom Vision 2 from Floridauav.com for a lot less than you are paying, and they are great guys over there. Check them out if you have not already ordered. Good luck.

@shrimpfarmer: if you're defecting, I suppose I'm applying for dual citizenship (or becoming a double agent :mrgreen: ). The gears are pretty much identical to what I've chosen. I'll also be adding a flytrex and a tk102b tracker to mine.

I've heard of mixed reviews of spirant antennas.. but even if they don't significantly boost the range, they'll perform more consistently in different positions\angles due to their polarization.

LeoS said:
@shrimpfarmer: if you're defecting, I suppose I'm applying for dual citizenship (or becoming a double agent :mrgreen: ). .

Well I may become a double agent also, I won't let my Vision go until I have got used to the P2. I probably won't fly the Vision again now and I certainly will not be performing the camera upgrade. My Vision has never even tipped over let alone crash so I think I will ground it until I decide.

pault said:
Shrimpfarmer, how do you control the camera in your new setup - do you just start it recording before takeoff ?

yes thats a step backwards but for the smoothness and more camera options its a price I am willing to pay. I normally like to stop and start recordings as its easier to find the right clip later. Just have to skim large files in future. I should add that the FPV image is through the eye of the go pro though and I can tilt with a lever rather than the iPhone.

Shrimpfarmer said:
pault said:
Shrimpfarmer, how do you control the camera in your new setup - do you just start it recording before takeoff ?

yes thats a step backwards but for the smoothness and more camera options its a price I am willing to pay. I normally like to stop and start recordings as its easier to find the right clip later. Just have to skim large files in future. I should add that the FPV image is through the eye of the go pro though and I can tilt with a lever rather than the iPhone.
I don't see that as a huge disadvantage. I know you are into video mainly anyway, so just more bits and bytes and things which are free anyway :)
Edit: it sure is getting busy in this sub forum - I have the feeling that there will be a glut of s/h PV2's on ebay shortly !

pault said:
Edit: it sure is getting busy in this sub forum - I have the feeling that there will be a glut of s/h PV2's on ebay shortly !

I think you may be right there. Oh well if I can't sell it I can always use it for spares.....

I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of used visions flooding the market. I've seen 3 on consignment. Everyone is going to the P2. The vision camera is for panoramics and thats about it.

How are you P2 pilots monitoring your battery levels, purely via the LED lights on the arms turning red ? Moving from the vision I won't have my lovely klaxon warning. I will have battery power in volts via Mini ISOD though I suppose. At what voltage level do you come back home ? I have a lot more learning to do before it arrives.

I just made the switch also. Was having wifi connection issues with my P2V and decided to return for the P2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shrimpfarmer said:
LeoS said:

Yes that would be real nice. Surely its only going to be a matter of time before GoPro give us this type of functionality. More and more of their cameras are going to be airborne in the future. Lets hope so eh.

Looking at that (unannouncent\undocumented) change in GoPro signalling port, now I understand why DJI has promised remote triggering for GoPro but has not delivered.

I think GoPro is addressing it by offering their WIFI remote... which is probably good for 90% of their market (non flyer) ;(

Well Guy's... I may be next... I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a P2V and had to return for replacement... I received my replacement, but once I successfully upgraded the camera firmware, the **** thing doesn't work at all anymore... Now, I'm sending the whole thing back again for another replacement... I need to decide in the next couple of days whether to get another P2V or simply move to the P2 with gimbal... I did plan on purchasing one of the vision gimbals, probably the Rotopixel because DroneExpert is insane to charge that cost... I do not own a Hero 3, so I would have to purchase that, but I must have FPV and onscreen telemetry... I'm thinking my overall cost would end up being very close if I include the $350-$400 for the RotorPixel gimbal... My main concern & question is flight time... Once you add the gimbal, gopro, FPV, osd, and maybe the ground station components for autonomous flight, what type of flight time are we looking at? Does anyone have this complete setup? I guess I want the vision capabilities, including the RotorPixel gimbal but in the P2... I'm sure in the next month or two, ground station abilities will be available for the P2v... I would hate to build it all out and end up with 10-12 mins of flight time...

I would think dealing with the clutter and non sense in the vision section of the forum is reason enough to switch to a phantom. Everyone asks the same 10 questions and starts a new topic every time they ask the question and they get the same 35 answers.

Ksc said:
I would think dealing with the clutter and non sense in the vision section of the forum is reason enough to switch to a phantom. Everyone asks the same 10 questions and starts a new topic every time they ask the question and they get the same 35 answers.

Breathe, dude.
That kind of negativity can't be good even for yourself.

Just look at how many people there are here trying to improve whatever they have got, particularly the P2V. We all want perfection which is why we balance props, swap motors etc etc.

I love video most of all but also great pictures. To me I just can't stand seeing wobbles and bumps.

To get the PV2 to anywhere near the picture quality of the P2 with Gopro I would haveto buy an expensive gimble, possibly wait for the wrinkles to be beaten out of it by the clever people who can sort those things, wait for a better camera to be released, beat the wrinkles out of that and so on. I still might not get past the GoPro. But I would have paid a lot more trying to do so.

So I decided to cut my losses and change. The only thing I lose at the moment is the ability to stop start my camera. But I would rather lose that and be happy with my video than have it and be disappointed with virtually every shot I take. Last but not least the kit used on the P2 is all tried and tested.

Today with my P2V I look out the window, its a nice day, I can fly, oh wait a second the trees are moving, why bother. Not with my P2 when I get it, we have already seen that thing can get steady shots high above the trees in very high winds.

I have loved my P2V but I think I am going to love my P2 even more.....lets hope so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers