Abnormal shifting while airborne

Reaction score
i had multiple accidents with my phantom (replaced motors and esc multiple times) however, as i have fixed it from another crash i had earlier, im noticing while its in the air, it is not keeping stable. It shifts slightly on a side, turns, and obviously, without touching the anything on the transmitter. Ok i did all the logic work like prop balancing, no calibration issues... Any idea?

Before trying to help you find the reason for the abnormal flying, it would help to know whether you were in gps or atti mode. The fact that you have had several bad crashes with replacement of major parts will probably mean your phanton body is out of alignment. This can cause all sorts of wierd effects. I have a "rogue" phantom that has has a couple of bad crashes. I am going to transfer all the parts to a new body shell.

howardmaryon is correct. If the problem is only in gps mode, then the top shell may be on wrong, or the gps unit
could be cracked from a previous crash.

The red stripes on the top shell must face forward, to the battery door, so the gps alignment will be correct.

Also, the gps antenna is brittle, and prone to cracking if a crash occurs. The Phantoms shell will flex during a crash, breaking
the gps antenna. To check, remove the gps, and inspect the top portion.

Connect it to the NAZA Assistant and see if there's any error messages and go from there.

Hi thank you guys for your reply - I totally ignore the gps mode as i dont trust that at all - i leave it always in atti mode. And about howardmaryon 's point, do you think its a shell issue even though i find no problems with the outside casing?

do you think its a shell issue even though i find no problems with the outside casing?

No, not if you have never taken the top shell off.

Persons who had taken the top shell off, and put it back on 90 degrees off, have had control issues similar to what you
are describing, that's the only reason we asked.

The GPS unit is installed in the top of the Phantom shell, and needs to face a certain direction to work properly.

Audaciter said:
do you think its a shell issue even though i find no problems with the outside casing?

No, not if you have never taken the top shell off.

Persons who had taken the top shell off, and put it back on 90 degrees off, have had control issues similar to what you
are describing, that's the only reason we asked.

The GPS unit is installed in the top of the Phantom shell, and needs to face a certain direction to work properly.

and if i add insult to injury and keep adding i dont know which side is front? as i removed all sticker work installed from factory?

and if i add insult to injury and keep adding i dont know which side is front? as i removed all sticker work installed from factory?

Not a problem, the front is where the battery door is, and there are wide grooves near the motors, on both the top, and
bottom shell halves, where the red stripes "stickers" go.

Actually, I just read your first post again. You had to remove the top shell to replace the motors, and esc's.

My best "dont do repairs in a hurry" moment. Took the props off, opened up the casing, fixed my problem, put the casing top back on, reinstalled the props as per the rotation symbols on the casing arms, powered up and wondered why the phantom was running at full power and not taking off.
Had put casing top back on 90degrees off. Props were all opposite to correct rotation and phantom was trying to fly to Australia through the center of the earth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20