A very basic question

Reaction score
My goal here is to fly my P1/FC40 without GPS. I don't want it to know where it is. I want to make sure I have all this right:
I can start it in ATTI and stay that way through the flight. I won't switch to GPS at all during the flight or warm up. If it loses transmitter communication it will land where it is.
Flying will be a bit less stable, but not overly so.
I've read the manual but just want to be sure on this.
-Bill-

Whats your reason for flying without GPS?

Without GPS if you loose communication with your transmitter your P1 would flyaway uncontrollable and could very possibly end up harming someone.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded the firmware to 4.06 and I suspect that it is now geofenced. It refuses to fly at the RC field but flies just great at my house. The club field is about 3 miles from a local airport. We have a letter of understanding from the airport manager so we can legally fly there. I have a thread on the P1 help forum that explains the problem in better detail. (Very very frustrating problem)
I would like to fly there without GPS so the drone doesn't know where it is. If it still doesn't fly then I can rule that out as a cause.If it does fly then I can pursue that as a cause. I don't intend to do anything more than a short test. If it does fly away we are surrounded by forest. A sure loss for me but not much chance of harm.
-Bill-

Last edited:
Place foil over the top center of the shell to attenuate the GPS signal.

I recently upgraded the firmware to 4.06 and I suspect that it is now geofenced. It refuses to fly at the RC field but flies just great at my house. The club field is about 3 miles from a local airport. We have a letter of understanding from the airport manager so we can legally fly there. I have a thread on the P1 help forum that explains the problem in better detail. (Very very frustrating problem)
I would like to fly there without GPS so the drone doesn't know where it is. If it still doesn't fly then I can rule that out as a cause.If it does fly then I can pursue that as a cause. I don't intend to do anything more than a short test. If it does fly away we are surrounded by forest. A sure loss for me but not much chance of harm.
-Bill-
I think any advice you get can only be someone's best guess. DJI "NEVER" provides detailed information about what it has done within each firmware upgrade. Customers from day one have complained about this lack of transparency but their complaints have always simply been ignored.

To test whats going on, your best bet would be to do what you said (i.e.somehow keep GPS from reaching the flight controller inside the quad itself).

The most straight forward way to do that would be to cover the top of the P1 with some copper foil/screening.

Aluminum foil works just as well and is cheap and probably already in the kitchen.

Thanks for all the responses. I made the decision to try to rollback the software rather than fly without GPS. I downloaded an old assistant version with 4.02 firmware on it. The quad accepted it.
I flew the quad at home and it flew just fine, then I took it to the club field and it flew great there too. All three batteries that it wouldn't fly on before were just fine.
I can only conclude that the problem was in the software since that was the only change i made.
I can't tell you how happy I am to have a flyable machine again. No more upgrades for me.

Thanks again for your responses.
-Bill-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.