A Transmitter tray to carry those heavy antenna / tablets ...

Reaction score
For small money - this tray comes from Hobby King designed for their 9xr radio. My intention is to modify so the P3S controller I have with Argtec + Nexus 7 tablet will be better balanced and carried on this tray. Hands free to do whatever ...

The Tablet I intend to do away with the mount on the controller and ft to the tray so tablet sits over top well clear and in full view ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nigel

Last edited:
Once I modify - pictures will be uploaded.

Nigel

I have the dbs antenna and a full-size iPad and can't imagine needing anything more than a $5 neck strap.

If you want better balance you can get a full on harness. Adding an extra 1/2 kg to your neck is counterproductive imo. It's not like the controller has so many dials/switches you may want to use which requires hand off sticks. But to each his own......

Edit: Forgot which subforum I was on. Also add a proper phone/tablet mount like the inspire mount or go pro (which I did) which is way better than the crappy supplied clip.

I already have a better tablet mount fitted.
Second the weight of that tray is actually light being polycarbonate.
Third - I already use a decent neck strap.
Fourth - my controller has the Argtec antenna system fitted which makes the controller top heavy.

Sorry I didn't realize I had to keep my setup according to others ....

Nigel

As I said - to each his own. And according to HK the whole thing weighs 480g, just going by the specs.

Anyone who knows HK know that the weights they quote often indicate different to reality.

The weight of the Phantom controller is less than any medium range RC radio anyway.

Yes -exactly - each to their own and to be honest the negative attitude shown by some in this thread makes me wonder whether worth posting ......
I dont expect medals and pat on the back - but a bit better reception than such negativity.

I fly a lot of different models and a strap has been my preferred for decades. With this design - I find a tray that hands are not hindered in any way. Having modified the P3S controller - I wanted to re-balance that added weight. The tray does that AND keeps antenna orientated to the model.

Nigel

There are various designs out there in wood and plastic. I chose this one because I also fly with the 9xr and 9x radios. The idea being to maybe swap radios in it ....
The 9xr radio slots in with the screw holes in the back matching the short stubs. The radio easily locks in ...

To fit the P3S controller will mean adding a strap or retaining bar ...
One of the best bits in my mind is having the Tablet mounted separately to the controller by using the arms. No more clips etc. Just have to devise the way to mount.

Examples ...

FPV tray (11 Euros) Wooden Transmitter Tray w/Neck Strap (Great for FPV)

34157.jpg

Here's the 9xr tray video showing it with radio etc.....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Once I have modified ...... I will post up the results.

Nigel

Half the fun is buying and adapting things for your own use, the other half is building one from scratch after getting suitable inspiration.
Last August I had zero wood working experience, now? Well, my homebuilt rabbit hutch and detachable run are almost magnificent (and huge). Cost, about £30 more than a shop bought, tiny, flimsy and poorly designed, not to mention tiny hutch would have been.
Enjoy yourself Nigel, you are one of the few on here with the guts to experiment and you were only posting to inform and interest people, not seek their advice.

Thanks guys ... I'm one of those guys who owes so much to people many years ago who had patience to teach me to fly ... I feel I should give something back to the hobby.

Often I post up ideas on various RC forums - prompting others to look at ideas and uses of gear that initially may have appeared of no use.

Who'd have thought the humble toothpick would find its way onto so many RC models ? (Not my idea - but I certainly use them !)

The actual event that prompted me on this tray ... bending down to switch on the model battery ... the controller with its Argtec antenna and 7" Nexus tablet was so out of balance. With a tray - it doesn't matter anymore.

Nigel

Toothpick???
What am I missing?

Some of us try to help and give something back or at least that is our intention...doesnt always work though. But sometimes you wonder if you're wasting your breath, so many want instant results and all their problems solving without even trying to work things out for themselves.
Once upon a time there was no such thing as Google et al and we had to muddle through as best we could, usually things worked out in the end and we ended up a little bit wiser for it. I would like to bet that someone, somewhere has googled how to open the cardboard box their Phantom came in...it must be so as Dji even have a video of it :p

"Toothpick???
What am I missing?"

You don't fly normal models then ? They are the universal pin to join two broken pieces together !!

I am always amazed at the questions asked ... some are just downright babytalk ... but it is not good to reply in such manner .. we have no idea of persons situation.

Some people need to learn that !!

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan