A Successful Calibration does not always mean a Good Calibration

I really think you should try taking off like everyone is saying if only to confirm for yourself if it will resolve your issue. I used to fly electric helis and recall having major issues just taking off during the first half dozen outings without much success in even getting it into a hover. I only succeeded to hover for the first time after I got away from the tentative take off every beginner has. In fact, with the helis, you should even counter this tendency to flip left or right I don't remember using your stick even if you do the take off without hesitation.
After owning p1 and 2 I always catch my p3, but I know it lands well and takes off well. Then my buddy flies in with his inspire 1, well what can I say ?

I also have issues with landing and taking off again. Mine disconnects within 30 seconds of doing so, every time. Annoying as nothing I do can reconnect to the drone
Now THAT makes absolutely no sense! Landing obviously has nothing to do with signal. You have to have some internal flaw that the impact of landing, no matter how insignificant, must be breaking a connection somewhere.

When I started flying helis.. A Blade 350 (stupid place to START!) I crashed a dozen times from exactly that. Until someone told me to man up and take off. I did and never crashed again.. taking off!

Ok, just tried it again. This took off throttle up to about 2 meters then landed idled the motors and tried again taking off throttle full and it leaned forward this time (that is a first) and it would not go up at all it just kept moving forward along the ground. So I don't know. Maybe it is just mine. But 3 others in the other forum had same issue. I wish I could keep it going for you to prove it but I don't want to waste my props or worse. But I had it full throttle it even sounds strange (like motors not getting same juice).

It actually sounds kinda funny sitting idle.. like you are screwing with the sticks. And you have a constant drift issue that shouldn't be there either. Just for giggles.. try reinstalling the FW and what is your compass MOD value on the driveway?

Ok, just tried it again. This took off throttle up to about 2 meters then landed idled the motors and tried again taking off throttle full and it leaned forward this time (that is a first) and it would not go up at all it just kept moving forward along the ground. So I don't know. Maybe it is just mine. But 3 others in the other forum had same issue. I wish I could keep it going for you to prove it but I don't want to waste my props or worse. But I had it full throttle it even sounds strange (like motors not getting same juice).

I agree, your second lift off attempt didn't sound at all like it was full throttle.

It actually sounds kinda funny sitting idle.. like you are screwing with the sticks. And you have a constant drift issue that shouldn't be there either. Just for giggles.. try reinstalling the FW and what is your compass MOD value on the driveway?
Mod value in drive was was 1536. I always check it. I will try to reinstall the FW. Who knows.

That drift was strange. Sort of like the drift that some had when FW 1.2.x introduced VPS issues. Either that or it was ATTI mode.

That second lift off attempt was not full throttle. Maybe not full stick, or maybe full stick but not delivering the power.

That drift was strange. Sort of like the drift that some had when FW 1.2.x introduced VPS issues. Either that or it was ATTI mode.

That second lift off attempt was not full throttle. Maybe not full stick, or maybe full stick but not delivering the power.

I agree with the last sentence. It was not delivering full power. I had stick up full until I stopped it.

Have you tried this test over a different surface other than that driveway? Also, are you getting the VPS icon when it is idling?

Good question about driveway surface. I will check later after I cut my grass. Too long to land on it right now. No I did not look at the VPS icon and will do that as well. I was going to try my test I did earlier on the grass but it was too long and made me get the gimbal overload warning when I put it there. When I fly from home I can take right out off my drive and be over the farm fields in about 300 ft.

Normally, it hovers in P-mode fine. Not sure why on the last video it was drifting a little. I will have to watch for that some more. Thanks

Ok... I took off from grass, and flew over to my driveway. Its really pretty flat, so not the best comparison. But I did get some of the same issue you had. I also see whats causing you flaky idle sound. Whn I landed and didnt actually ever go full down throttle.. idle sounded strange and fluctuated. Also had more of a tendency to drift on takeoff. When I landed and pulled full down for a second the idle trimmed down nice and smooth. Full throttle takeoffs are very obvious, and led to absolutely no drift.

video might still be processing
IMG_0007.PNG

MOD value was TERRIBLE on the driveway. But in the 1600s where I took off. Driveways are FULL of re-bar!! there should never bee a good mod value on a driveway!

Im pushing another video now that better shows a full idle. Processing is taking for EVER for a :50 video.

It was hard to tell in your video but after it leaned the first time and you let off then you went up again (was that one ok?). Because I noticed a couple times with mine if it started to do that strange leaning problem if I put it back down and tried again it would lift off (but not every time).

Yes, I wish my drive had rebar but it does not. So (the only good thing about my drive is that it is fine for calibration). lol. Off to cut my grass.

when i get ready to take off after i get the green and start the motoprs i push the throttle full forward and hold it there and let rise to about 20 feet.

I have also experienced this sometimes, but never experimented to see the cause.
To me it always felt like the system does not fully reset once it lands. In other words: when you start, it knows it is starting at zero, however when you go up and down, it has some offset, even if minimal, that can cause this to manifest itself, especially if not going full throttle. If I am not mistaken, I remember once starting with altitude not being zero and thinking it was strange.

But going full throttle on takeoff is not a solution. It is a workaround. If DJI is looking at this, I would suggest (if it is not done) to perform a full reset of parameters after idle command.

Also worth noting that I have noticed a few times that landing and holding the throttle down, did not idle the motors, and as a matter of fact, after holding for a few seconds, they revved up. I usually CSC after this happens.

None of these are too critical, but all this information can help make the Phantom a better device.

raryrokni, in the DJI forum verified that the Phantom 3 would tend to flip over if you land and then try to take off again after idling your motors (not killing them). see this thread: DJI Forum|Compass info that may interest you

We later figured out that it is the VPS causing this and when VPS is turned off the problem goes away. So after landing shut down motors before taking off again to be safe!

Here is video that shows the problem:
Here is one with VPS turned off:
in the video it looks like you are flying off a concrete slab.
not a good idea.
concrete slabs have rebarb wire in them and this could cause interference.
find another place to fly from.

Most quads will have a problem if you try and take off really slowly. Just got to get it off the ground and out of ground effect and it'll be fine.

Now THAT makes absolutely no sense! Landing obviously has nothing to do with signal. You have to have some internal flaw that the impact of landing, no matter how insignificant, must be breaking a connection somewhere.
Sense or not, it happens. I might add that I shut the motors down also. Definitely some bugs with landing as I have seen other posts as well

in the video it looks like you are flying off a concrete slab.
not a good idea.
concrete slabs have rebarb wire in them and this could cause interference.
find another place to fly from.
Ok, I agree should not take off from driveway if it has rebar. Mine does not have rebar but it does have a wire mesh. That said, I can take the compass mod reading in the grass and then at the drive and it is very little difference. I can take off and land from there fine as long as I don't land and then fly again without stopping motors.

Mod value on drive
IMG_0051.PNG

Mod value in grass
IMG_0050.PNG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20