A story to tell

Reaction score
A little story to tell, the other day at Park flying Phantom 2 approximately 150 up feet altitude. Same altitude flew over a group of people that were at the park hovered for a few seconds then flew off. (wrong or right it's what I did)

After a few flights this guy walks over recognizing him by his clothes from that group I flew over earlier. He starts off inquiring and asking questions but I could tell his agenda was going to end up a little hostile. When he came over I was flying in a completely open area approximately same altitude of 150 feet he ended up asking not to fly over his group I said no problem and had no intention of doing so again. He said it was not right spying on people and flying these drones around. And that if I didn't stop he was calling authorities I apologized for flying over his group but indicated I was not breaking any laws.

Anyway things elevated and I could tell he just wanted to debate and argue about it, I asked if he had ever fly RC before... His answer was no.

For some reason the idea popped in my head and I handed him the controller and explain what the two sticks did, he was very hesitant at first, but I insisted figured what could he do that I couldn't get out of 150 feet up. About a minute with him controlling the quad he was looking up and I could see this huge smile on his face. Also he was looking at first-person viewer and realize the detail is really not there for spying. After another few minutes I resumed control and landed.

His comments in short I understand more, this is fun, and warmed up considerably, and a apology for being a little aggressive I laughed and said no problem.

Just wanted to share story I found it interesting and has given me food for thought for trying to change the negative perceptions some have.

Garysam said:
A little story to tell, the other day at Park flying Phantom 2 approximately 150 up feet altitude. Same altitude flew over a group of people that were at the park hovered for a few seconds then flew off. (wrong or right it's what I did)

After a few flights this guy walks over recognizing him by his clothes from that group I flew over earlier. He starts off inquiring and asking questions but I could tell his agenda was going to end up a little hostile. When he came over I was flying in a completely open area approximately same altitude of 150 feet he ended up asking not to fly over his group I said no problem and had no intention of doing so again. He said it was not right spying on people and flying these drones around. And that if I didn't stop he was calling authorities I apologized for flying over his group but indicated I was not breaking any laws.

Anyway things elevated and I could tell he just wanted to debate and argue about it, I asked if he had ever fly RC before... His answer was no.

For some reason the idea popped in my head and I handed him the controller and explain with the two sticks did, he was very hesitant at first, but I insisted figured what could he do that I couldn't get out of the hun 150 feet up. About a minute with him controlling the quad he was looking up and I could see this huge smile on his face. Also he was looking at first-person viewer and realize the detail is really not there for spying. After another few minutes I resumed control and landed.

His comments in short I understand more, this is fun, and warmed up considerably, and a apology for being a little aggressive I laughed and said no problem.

Just wanted to share story I found it interesting and has given me food for thought for trying to change the negative perceptions some have.

You're a better man than me, no way he'd have gotten my controller. Glad it turned out well, it was a very good story indeed.

man, i guess i am just lucky living where I do.

Everytime i fly, the parents are like "look junior, a flying helicopter! look!" and the kid is all amazed and stuff lol
I had quite a few people wait till I was done, then ask me questions about it, the go pro, etc etc.

Then I was just at wine country in long island this past week and out of 3 vineyards I filmed at, I got 3 cards from the managers (one was the owners son). Maybe I can spin that into a bit of a profit!

dragonash said:
man, i guess i am just lucky living where I do.

Everytime i fly, the parents are like "look junior, a flying helicopter! look!" and the kid is all amazed and stuff lol
I had quite a few people wait till I was done, then ask me questions about it, the go pro, etc etc.

Then I was just at wine country in long island this past week and out of 3 vineyards I filmed at, I got 3 cards from the managers (one was the owners son). Maybe I can spin that into a bit of a profit!

Yes I know that's been typically my experience as well. Especially with the kids.

A good story. I recently had the most unlikely spectator, who just loved my P2V - a little old lady. She was completely transfixed watching it, and clearly delighted.

CallMeAlan said:
A good story. I recently had the most unlikely spectator, who just loved my P2V - a little old lady. She was completely transfixed watching it, and clearly delighted.

Cute story wouldn't that have been something if she had been able to fly it for a minute or so. Difficult to get in trouble if you've got some altitude in a clear area.

You deserve a High Five for that one!

I converted a somewhat hostile neighbor into a quad fan but I did it the hard way: intending to give her a demo flight I somehow managed to crash high into a tree. She is still laughing but now invites me to fly on her ranch, probably hoping to see another spectacular crash. :roll:

GearLoose said:
You deserve a High Five for that one!

I converted a somewhat hostile neighbor into a quad fan but I did it the hard way: intending to give her a demo flight I somehow managed to crash high into a tree. She is still laughing but now invites me to fly on her ranch, probably hoping to see another spectacular crash. :roll:

Sounds like yours worked out a little better than mine LOL

Good PR job, well done.
Out of 27 flights so far, I have only run into three people.(no I did not hit them)The first was a city cop in his car driving by. I looked at him, nodded, he returned nod and left. I was in a big empty local soccer field. The other two were so interested the guy took pictures when I was landing, after getting good video of a 410 foot long passenger ferry leaving the harbor. He said he could use one for hunting and the price was right.

That is awesome. I don't think I would have given him the tx, but you turned a hater into a possible fan.

So far, I have not had any negative comments towards me and my flying. Unfortunately, I have a feeling when that does happen I am going to madly and sarcastically spout off that there's nothing illegal that I'm doing and to basically "get over it."

I hope I do keep it cool though and when that does happen, I can make another good post like you did :)

I hope I do keep it cool though and when that does happen, I can make another good post like you did :)[/quote]

Oh trust me it was not easy to keep cool, and typically not my MO. LOL

This reminds me a lot of several encounters I've had while geocaching. There are still plenty of people who have never heard of geocaching, even though it is worldwide and there are over 6 million geocachers (at least 2.5 millions currently active). Some people get curious or a bit hostile when they see you poking around looking for the cache, but I've always found that if you explain what you're doing and ask them to help you search, they relax and no longer think you're a perv or burglar or whatever it was they were worried about. It helps to have a GPSr in hand with the coordinates displayed, and you can let them follow the arrow around. Same idea. I'm not sure I'd do it with a smart phone if I had one, but I'd risk a handheld GPSr, at least if it's a responsible adult. I wouldn't do it with a smart-*** teen.

Great story thanks for sharing.
In Holland i had this discussions with people during flights. I made some simple business cards and found out when i gave those to the people they became more friendly. Maybe an idea?

RussA said:
This reminds me a lot of several encounters I've had while geocaching. There are still plenty of people who have never heard of geocaching, even though it is worldwide and there are over 6 million geocachers (at least 2.5 millions currently active). Some people get curious or a bit hostile when they see you poking around looking for the cache, but I've always found that if you explain what you're doing and ask them to help you search, they relax and no longer think you're a perv or burglar or whatever it was they were worried about. It helps to have a GPSr in hand with the coordinates displayed, and you can let them follow the arrow around. Same idea. I'm not sure I'd do it with a smart phone if I had one, but I'd risk a handheld GPSr, at least if it's a responsible adult. I wouldn't do it with a smart-*** teen.

Interesting I geocache as well I wonder if us geocaches turn into RC'ers as well. Lol

gmbn.inc said:
RussA said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is geocaching?
geocaching
a form of treasure hunt using GPS, in which an item is hidden somewhere in the world and its coordinates posted on the Internet, so that GPS users can locate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues