A sports pilot license ain't cheap!!!!

That may be a good way to look at it but its not a total solution. I have been in the HVAC business since 1971. I have to have a business license, be certified by taking tests have insurance, ,have the proper equipment to work. BUT..there are still people doing business out of the trunk of their car with none of this. There will always be people buying a flying camera and trying to make money without anything it takes to be legal. They dont care about you and neither does the government. They want you to jump through more hoops and find a way to charge you for it. I just saw a relative of mine that is a realtor post a video of property for sale on facebook.. Im sure they did not pay a pro to do this. It was a youtube link. I wanted to ask about this but kept silent. It was probably a friend or a friend of a friend that flew. People always want the cheaper price with disreguard for what it takes to operate a business legally. Loyalty aint squat when it comes to money. Thats why China is selling so much to Americans that support our country. Yeah...sure

I agree with what your saying, but I think the first time broker is sued because an agent used a kid with a drone, and something goes wrong (and yes the broker will be liable), that will stop the nonsense.

I own rental property and if my tenants find out what I spent to fix a problem (especially plumbing), they always say "I have a friend that could do it for half that",,,I assure them the city would throw me under the bus if I used a non-licensed person to do anything. When the brokers realize the liability, they will put a stop to it, because they are business people.

People will mostly pay a neighbor kid to mow the law for cheap than pay a licensed company to do the job at a higher cost. I have lost service work to peoples relatives that just completed a course in how to service ac equipment. No insurance...no nothing. BUT, if something goes wrong, they have no recourse for damages. They WILL take that chance it seems. We all want to save money. I understand that. People are people and will do what they do. It's not a problem until someone gets caught. And then it's most likely a slap on the hand. That doesn't help the business man much trying to do things correctly. The funny
thing is....Many of the wannabe drone videoographers have no training in the field but now by buying a P3 think they are ready for this type of business. I have seen their work. Not impressed. I have be in photography since 1969 and I don't consider myself a pro. Have I been paid...yes. am I good at what I do. I think so. Am I as good as a seasoned pro...hell No.

Oh, the confusion...

A Section 333 exemption allows the operator to fly his UAS for compensation. I.E. Commercial. But, the PIC must be an FAA certified pilot. They don't and often aren't the same people. Many of the Section 333 exemptions are to a corporation who hires licensed pilots to fly their drones.

Part 107 rules will create a new class of FAA pilot certificate specific to flight under Part 107 rules. This operator certificate would be obtained with a written test. You can expect to pay a Flight Instructor to verify your citizenship ($50 to $100), and a testing center to administer the test ($150-$300). The Flight Instructor or FSDO needs to verify your citizenship because apparently the Test Center personnel are too stupid to look at your passport to verify that you are a US citizen. In reality, CFI's have received Homeland Security training that makes the CFI acceptable to verify your ID. I don't know why the Test Center personnel couldn't also do this training. After all, these are the same testing centers that administer the written tests for other FAA certifications and Homeland Security personnel. All total, your UAS Operator's Certificate will cost between $300 to $500. None of which goes to the Federal Government.

There is no schedule of when to expect Part 107 final rules to be released and adopted. Late next year would be fast. My bet would be on early 2017, but that is still Bureaucratic light-speed for any rulemaking process that normally takes many years. Section 333 exemptions are valid for one year, so most Section 333 holders will have to petition for an extension at least once. Part 107 rules will make Section 333 exemptions obsolete and the FAA would be unlikely to renew them after Part 107 is finalized.

So you're faced with three choices.
  1. Go ahead and get the Sport Pilot license. It's a bit expensive, but you will have more fun than sex learning to fly an airplane, and it will make you a more responsible drone operator because you will have a pilot's perspective.
  2. Wait for the Part 107 rules to be final and effective. There's no date when this will happen and it does no good to ask the FAA because they don't know either. My bet is on early 2017.
  3. Just fly. There are no rules that would apply to an unlicensed operator flying a hobby-type aircraft for compensation. I have asked aviation lawyers and insurance brokers "What FAA rule would be on a letter of violation from the FAA enforcement division for flying a hobby drone for compensation"? And none of them can think of any. [link] [link]. This may, however, limit your potential client base who believe the propaganda that they can be in trouble with the FAA for hiring unlicensed operators. [link] [link].
Actually, there is a fourth - if you do have an FAA-issued pilot certificate, then you absolutely must get the Part 333 exemption to fly your drone for hire. The FAA does have a rule that a private or sport pilot would be violating: 14 CFR 61.113 'Private pilot privileges and limitations-Pilot in command', and 14 CFR 61.315 Subpart J 'privileges and limits of my sport pilot certificate'.

Last edited:
That may be a good way to look at it but its not a total solution. I have been in the HVAC business since 1971. I have to have a business license, be certified by taking tests have insurance, ,have the proper equipment to work. BUT..there are still people doing business out of the trunk of their car with none of this. There will always be people buying a flying camera and trying to make money without anything it takes to be legal. They dont care about you and neither does the government. They want you to jump through more hoops and find a way to charge you for it. I just saw a relative of mine that is a realtor post a video of property for sale on facebook.. Im sure they did not pay a pro to do this. It was a youtube link. I wanted to ask about this but kept silent. It was probably a friend or a friend of a friend that flew. People always want the cheaper price with disreguard for what it takes to operate a business legally. Loyalty aint squat when it comes to money. Thats why China is selling so much to Americans that support our country. Yeah...sure

Well that took a left turn quickly...

1. Go ahead and get the Sport Pilot license. It's a bit expensive, but you will have more fun than sex learning to fly an airplane, and it will make you a more responsible drone operator because you will have a pilot's perspective.

1. You must have some boring sex...

I agree with Steve (and that doesn't happen all the time),,,I will never forget the first time I solo'd (mainly the landing part,,the first time you realize if you screw it up no one is there to get you out of trouble,,it is an experience you will never forget

Just going out to the airport, thinking, where am I going to fly to today,,,what a blast

I agree with Steve (and that doesn't happen all the time),,,I will never forget the first time I solo'd (mainly the landing part,,the first time you realize if you screw it up no one is there to get you out of trouble,,it is an experience you will never forget

Just going out to the airport, thinking, where am I going to fly to today,,,what a blast
Any time I came home from a bad day at work, my wife handed me my flight bag and said "go fly"!
I love that woman.

Oh, the confusion...

A Section 333 exemption allows the operator to fly his UAS for compensation. I.E. Commercial. But, the PIC must be an FAA certified pilot. They don't and often aren't the same people. Many of the Section 333 exemptions are to a corporation who hires licensed pilots to fly their drones.

Part 107 rules will create a new class of FAA pilot certificate specific to flight under Part 107 rules. This operator certificate would be obtained with a written test. You can expect to pay a Flight Instructor to verify your citizenship ($50 to $100), and a testing center to administer the test ($150-$300). The Flight Instructor or FSDO needs to verify your citizenship because apparently the Test Center personnel are too stupid to look at your passport to verify that you are a US citizen. In reality, CFI's have received Homeland Security training that makes the CFI acceptable to verify your ID. I don't know why the Test Center personnel couldn't also do this training. After all, these are the same testing centers that administer the written tests for other FAA certifications and Homeland Security personnel. All total, your UAS Operator's Certificate will cost between $300 to $500. None of which goes to the Federal Government.

There is no schedule of when to expect Part 107 final rules to be released and adopted. Late next year would be fast. My bet would be on early 2017, but that is still Bureaucratic light-speed for any rulemaking process that normally takes many years. Section 333 exemptions are valid for one year, so most Section 333 holders will have to petition for an extension at least once. Part 107 rules will make Section 333 exemptions obsolete and the FAA would be unlikely to renew them after Part 107 is finalized.

So you're faced with three choices.
  2. Wait for the Part 107 rules to be final and effective. There's no date when this will happen and it does no good to ask the FAA because they don't know either. My bet is on early 2017.
  3. Just fly. There are no rules that would apply to an unlicensed operator flying a hobby-type aircraft for compensation. I have asked aviation lawyers and insurance brokers "What FAA rule would be on a letter of violation from the FAA enforcement division for flying a hobby drone for compensation"? And none of them can think of any. [link] [link]. This may, however, limit your potential client base who believe the propaganda that they can be in trouble with the FAA for hiring unlicensed operators. [link] [link].
Actually, there is a fourth - if you do have an FAA-issued pilot certificate, then you absolutely must get the Part 333 exemption to fly your drone for hire. The FAA does have a rule that a private or sport pilot would be violating: 14 CFR 61.113 'Private pilot privileges and limitations-Pilot in command', and 14 CFR 61.315 Subpart J 'privileges and limits of my sport pilot certificate'.
"Just fly. There are no rules that would apply to an unlicensed operator flying a hobby-type aircraft for compensation. I have asked aviation lawyers and insurance brokers "What FAA rule would be on a letter of violation from the FAA enforcement division for flying a hobby drone for compensation"? And none of them can think of any. [link] [link]. This may, however, limit your potential client base who believe the propaganda that they can be in trouble with the FAA for hiring unlicensed operators. [link] [link]."

Come on Steve. None of us in an aviation attorney and we should not be encouraging this activity. There are young, impressionable minds reading this.

"Just fly. There are no rules that would apply to an unlicensed operator flying a hobby-type aircraft for compensation. I have asked aviation lawyers and insurance brokers "What FAA rule would be on a letter of violation from the FAA enforcement division for flying a hobby drone for compensation"? And none of them can think of any. [link] [link]. This may, however, limit your potential client base who believe the propaganda that they can be in trouble with the FAA for hiring unlicensed operators. [link] [link]."

Come on Steve. None of us in an aviation attorney and we should not be encouraging this activity. There are young, impressionable minds reading this.

Not trying to encourage it, just pointing out the facts.

Reactions: unclejas and SanCap
Oh, the confusion...

So here's a question. Would the PIC have to maintain currency on their certificate? So many takeoffs and landings etc.? Maintaining a license has an ongoing cost.

Steve

So here's a question. Would the PIC have to maintain currency on their certificate? So many takeoffs and landings etc.? Maintaining a license has an ongoing cost.

Steve
The FAA's current 333 requirements do include biannual flight reviews as required for all pilots.
Once they come up with the UAV operator certificate (2016?) (2017?) all that will go away.
You can expect a requirement to take some refresher after the UAV cert. is in place, probably every 2 years, 2cents.gif

Steve
The only takeoff and landing requirements for currency is your biennial flight review. I can't imagine that someone would go to all the expense (and fun) to get their Sport Pilot certificate only to never use it to fly. But, in theory, you could get your Sport Pilot certificate and within two years, if the Part 107 rules are final and effective in that time - there's no guarantee, you can pass the test for the Part 107 UAS operator certificate, and never have to rent a Sport Pilot aircraft again. The initial UAS operator certificate will cost you up to $500 to obtain, then there is the biennial written re-test to maintain currency which is projected to cost up to $300.

Either way, there is an ongoing cost of a few hundred dollars every other year.

Oddly I have a full ASEL rating and over 1000 hours in light planes. But I don't fly these days after I lost access to very sweet 182 and wasn't enjoying random rentals and escalating costs.

My Phantom fills a lot of that void for me.

Thanks,

Steve

The only takeoff and landing requirements for currency is your biennial flight review. I can't imagine that someone would go to all the expense (and fun) to get their Sport Pilot certificate only to never use it to fly. But, in theory, you could get your Sport Pilot certificate and within two years, if the Part 107 rules are final and effective in that time - there's no guarantee, you can pass the test for the Part 107 UAS operator certificate, and never have to rent a Sport Pilot aircraft again. The initial UAS operator certificate will cost you up to $500 to obtain, then there is the biennial written re-test to maintain currency which is projected to cost up to $300.

Either way, there is an ongoing cost of a few hundred dollars every other year.

Is that written somewhere?

There is an inherent danger in having people earn a Sport Pilots License just for drone operations because if they rarely fly a plane, they're much more likely to have an accident when they do decide to fly. NTSB statistics back this up.

If you're going to fly, you need to do it often enough to maintain your skill and training, nothing is more dangerous than not flying for months, and then deciding to go for a quick hop. My flight instructor was a retired NTSB investigator, so most lessons were punctuated with a story of a related crash investigation.

I agree. Just fly..... for so many reasons... just fly it. charge whatever you want if that is your gig... or do it for a penny, or free. But just fly... don't listen to the news or the doomsayers. You'll be fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl