A sports pilot license ain't cheap!!!!

mjw

Reaction score
Thanks, first off, to the many members that quickly shared how to file a 333 exemption and registering my Phantom 3 with the FAA. Boy was I shocked when I started looking into getting the "Sports Pilot" license. In a previous reply someone said "Easy, 20 bucks and your done" - I would really like to know how someone got this license for 20 dollars. The requirements are exhaustive and when your done you can fly an airplane let alone a small drone - has anyone really completed the Sport Pilot's license requirements? My plan to use my Phantom 3 legally to inspect residential roofs may be more expensive than I ever anticipated. The research I have done looks like one can spend thousands of dollars stop get a Sports Pilot license. That is a lot of roof pictures!!!

In a previous reply someone said "Easy, 20 bucks and your done"
I doubt this was in reference to getting a pilot license.

This was my original post "getting a sport license implies some kind of formal training, etc" - this was your reply Sure thing. "You cannot just fill out a form, pay $20, and get a license". -

Reactions: dirkclod
True fact.

Reactions: dirkclod
blank stare.png

Reactions: msinger
I wouldn't spend any money on a license just yet. based on the FAA's press release earlier this spring, it won't be needed. IANAL and have no details on when the new rules will be implemented, here's a link to the release:
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=18295
I visited w/ our local FAA guy this morning that is the go to on UAV - he was expecting something on UAV rules by September but has not heard any rumblings from the bureaucrats in the sky - trust me I am not spending that kind of money - I did the registration and 333 exemption request - I'll wait on the new rules - they make a little more sense from what I have read and what you just referenced

I visited w/ our local FAA guy this morning that is the go to on UAV - he was expecting something on UAV rules by September but has not heard any rumblings from the bureaucrats in the sky - trust me I am not spending that kind of money - I did the registration and 333 exemption request - I'll wait on the new rules - they make a little more sense from what I have read and what you just referenced
It would make sense to wait until the feds get off the dime, probably next year.

Let's not confuse uninformed visitors that will read this abut the 333. In order for a commercial operation under a 333 exemption to "operate" the PIC must have a pilot's license. Every 333 granted spells that out quite clearly.

Will the new rules change that? Likely, but in order to fly under a 333 today, as of August 17, 2015, you must have at least a sport pilot license. If anyone knows of a reliable source that says different please post it.

I was showing a girl at my church some videos I took this weekend. Turns out she works for a helicopter contractor here who was actually assisting the gubment in drawing up the requirements. They're actually testing their own drones firnthe process. To use her words, "we are about to clamp down". She went on to say "don't think all of the incidents in the news lately hasn't had an effect, it has."

I was showing a girl at my church some videos I took this weekend. Turns out she works for a helicopter contractor here who was actually assisting the gubment in drawing up the requirements. They're actually testing their own drones firnthe process. To use her words, "we are about to clamp down". She went on to say "don't think all of the incidents in the news lately hasn't had an effect, it has."
You don't think major chopper photo operations haven't been bitching to the FAA? UAVs threaten their livelihood. And business owners contribute to political campaigns. Congress is on the FAAs butt and politicians are not going to stand up and say "we are doing this to save the profits of the helicopter companies so they can give us more graft" They WILL say is all about safety. And it is the fault of the dunderheads who fly around airports and generate complaints, like the dridiot that flew over a crowd at a flea market and dropped his bird on a lady's head (another mysterious flyaway, no doubt) , and ignore the FAA's "recommendations."

Reactions: S5S5G6
i find it amusing how many people ran out to buy P3s as a "Get Rich Quick" scheme, only to realise theres 74 Pazillion other people with P3s floundering at attempting to even get enough money to pay for a battery let alone paying for their "investment"

Reactions: DarylV
i find it amusing how many people ran out to buy P3s as a "Get Rich Quick" scheme, only to realise theres 74 Pazillion other people with P3s floundering at attempting to even get enough money to pay for a battery let alone paying for their "investment"
As of today 1,208 333s have been granted, so that sorts of brings that 74 pazillion way down.:D

Reactions: S5S5G6

There are also people who have actual integrity, experience, passion and drive who could make Aerial Imaging a profitable and enjoyable livelihood over working a soul sucking job for a group of first class scum bags.

I'd rather make less money and be happy doing something that's adventurous and exciting than having a man in an office controlling ever step I take. It's up to the individual who can apply hard work and common sense to something he's passionate and proficient at that made this country what it is. The people without the integrity will sift out eventually.

Reactions: scholls22
So let's discuss how to go about getting a Sport Pilots license and what it will it all entails.

I know there's a ground school, and then 40 hours flight time, 20 instructor and 20 solo. Anyone know about cost and how long something like this, on average, takes?

So let's discuss how to go about getting a Sport Pilots license and what it will it all entails.

I know there's a ground school, and then 40 hours flight time, 20 instructor and 20 solo. Anyone know about cost and how long something like this, on average, takes?

actually its 20 hours total, at least 15 with a flight instructor and at least 5 solo,,in the real world you will probable have more hours than that. You have to pass your check ride.

I saw someone post they were paying $200 an hour with instructor

So let's discuss how to go about getting a Sport Pilots license and what it will it all entail.

Remember, those hours are minimum. Not everyone is good enough in learning to do it in the minimum hours required. Needing a pilots licence to fly a quad copter is just stupid in my opinion.

You are probably confusing it with the crappy AMA sports pilot membership or something along those lines.

Furthermore, if you want to be in business, you should be looking at this as a positive, not a negative. Once you have your license, you're golden. And you don't have to worry about every kid with a Phantom cutting into your business working for peanuts. Regulation + restrictions = higher pay for you and much less competition.

You are probably confusing it with the crappy AMA sports pilot membership or something along those lines.

Furthermore, if you want to be in business, you should be looking at this as a positive, not a negative. Once you have your license, you're golden. And you don't have to worry about every kid with a Phantom cutting into your business working for peanuts. Regulation + restrictions = higher pay for you and much less competition.
That may be a good way to look at it but its not a total solution. I have been in the HVAC business since 1971. I have to have a business license, be certified by taking tests have insurance, ,have the proper equipment to work. BUT..there are still people doing business out of the trunk of their car with none of this. There will always be people buying a flying camera and trying to make money without anything it takes to be legal. They dont care about you and neither does the government. They want you to jump through more hoops and find a way to charge you for it. I just saw a relative of mine that is a realtor post a video of property for sale on facebook.. Im sure they did not pay a pro to do this. It was a youtube link. I wanted to ask about this but kept silent. It was probably a friend or a friend of a friend that flew. People always want the cheaper price with disreguard for what it takes to operate a business legally. Loyalty aint squat when it comes to money. Thats why China is selling so much to Americans that support our country. Yeah...sure

Reactions: unclejas
That may be a good way to look at it but its not a total solution. I have been in the HVAC business since 1971. I have to have a business license, be certified by taking tests have insurance, ,have the proper equipment to work. BUT..there are still people doing business out of the trunk of their car with none of this. There will always be people buying a flying camera and trying to make money without anything it takes to be legal. They dont care about you and neither does the government. They want you to jump through more hoops and find a way to charge you for it. I just saw a relative of mine that is a realtor post a video of property for sale on facebook.. Im sure they did not pay a pro to do this. It was a youtube link. I wanted to ask about this but kept silent. It was probably a friend or a friend of a friend that flew. People always want the cheaper price with disreguard for what it takes to operate a business legally. Loyalty aint squat when it comes to money. Thats why China is selling so much to Americans that support our country. Yeah...sure

The better the contract, the less likely the client will be to hire unlicensed people. The dredges of the industry might be full of kids flying Phantoms for lunch money. But local power companies, mining companies, etc do NOT hire random unlicensed operators. License + insurance are a huge selling point for jobs that actually pay well.

Some of the real estate companies have banned aerials about a year ago because they were concerned about legal repercussions. They prohibited their agents from uploading any aerials to MLS. Now that there is a legal way to do these things, the first thing they will look for is license and insurance.

Of course random people will always hire other random operators for random events. But those jobs rarely pay well. Clients who have money are generally concerned about liability. Aerial work is also generally very visible and promoted. It's harder to hide.

But you're right that there is at least some loss to "rouge" operators... Still, it's a substantial advantage to tell a potential client that you - unlike the other guys - are properly trained and licensed and insured.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4