A small amount of bad luck but it could've been worse...

Reaction score
So here's what happened. Last night I decided to color dye my props just because I like the idea of having color coded props. I did the front in yellow and the rear in green. So I decided to fly today and I was getting everything ready. I noticed that my rear props were very hard to thread on the motor shafts but they still threaded on. I didn't think too much about it so I proceeded with installing my removable prop guards. I know lots of people on this forum think they're a waste but I don't share that mentality. Me being a newbie Phantom owner makes me feel much safer using the guards.

So I had her ready to go and I start the drone and the motors start to idle. I usually take off at about 80% throttle because I've read too many stories where peoples' aircrafts either tip over or they drift very easily without having enough lift. This is why I always use around 80% throttle. I want my drone to shoot straight up and to be clear of anything and everything as it's going up.

Little did I know that I had screwed the rear props on the wrong sides. This meant the drone immediately tipped itself over to one side and that freaked me out. Luckily I was using the prop guards and nothing was damaged besides the two props. Thankfully DJI gives us spares and everything was good. This was an honest mistake and I really have no idea how I goofed up so badly because I always thought you can't screw the props on the wrong way. Today I proved that theory wrong. I was very thankful I was using the prop guards otherwise things might have gotten a lot worse with more damage than what really happened.

Lesson learned and I hope that's my one screw up which I knew was inevitable but of course I didn't know when or how it would happen.

Huh? How is that even possible. It's reverse threading from each other. That just have been very hard to screw on. I'm speechless.

Trolling at its finest

Huh? How is that even possible. It's reverse threading from each other. That just have been very hard to screw on. I'm speechless.

I didn't think it was possible but it happened. No idea how but it did. Although I can say it'll never happen to me again. Not after today...

Reactions: dalebb
. Now if you just didn't RTFM and put the wrong colors on the wrong arms, you might want to just run around with the drone in your hands making airplane sounds because you are going to mess up bad. In my case, the props are supposed to spin on effortlessly and not tighten at all on the wrong colors. I just bought a 3rd P3P and the props that came with it were not threaded correctly inside the prop housing and they didn't spin on the prop mount at all. I tossed them because a bad set of props is not worth a $1500 mistake.

With the prop guards, be careful!!! If ANYTHING gets stuck between the propeller and the guard (think broom handle in a bicycle spoke) it will rip the P3 open and break that arm.

I didn't think it was possible but it happened. No idea how but it did. Although I can say it'll never happen to me again. Not after today...
Don't worry about it. No matter what you post someone will call you a Troll. But I have to admit, you must have been screwing her very hard to not notice you had the stud in the wrong hole.

I meant to say "her props on" (disclaimer)

Last edited:
Don't worry about it. No matter what you post someone will call you a Troll. But I have to admit, you must have been screwing her very hard to not notice you had the stud in the wrong hole.
TROLL - JK :)

Reactions: dalebb

I meant to say "her props on" (disclaimer)

I'm man enough to admit that I screwed up. I should've known I was doing something wrong but crap happens. Live and learn....

The Phantom 3 props are composite in the internal threading which means forcefully putting them on as you implied earlier basically stripped through the threading allowing you to put them on the wrong way. Also be careful about adding paints and dye to something as important as your props as it can throw off the balance as well.

The Phantom 3 props are composite in the internal threading which means forcefully putting them on as you implied earlier basically stripped through the threading allowing you to put them on the wrong way. Also be careful about adding paints and dye to something as important as your props as it can throw off the balance as well.

I was thinking about that but all is well after last night's RIT dye session.

IMG_1126.JPG

Reactions: Jbundy63 and dalebb
Yes, I think the black and green dye maybe heaver than the yellow and orange.;)

The guards already came colored. I might order the same removable ones but in regular white so I can match them with my props.

Ken, wow, I feel for you. You have another one right?
I was physically sick for a few days man!! This is the second one I have busted up. I have one at DJI now being basically rebuilt, this one leaves out tomorrow and I have the one I am flying now and one still in the box.

Reactions: snerd

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav