A serious competitor for DJI

Reaction score
Hi all, Well it has happened I believe the Phantom now has a serious competitor which is the Autel X Star Premium.
I have checked all the specks and find this bird has some great features and I am so impressed that I have ordered one instead of the P4.
There are also some reviewers on You Tube who are giving it the thumps up.
So DJI you should take note and do some better research.
Cheers all. JV

Hi all, Well it has happened I believe the Phantom now has a serious competitor which is the Autel X Star Premium.
I have checked all the specks and find this bird has some great features and I am so impressed that I have ordered one instead of the P4.
Cheers all. JV
Good luck with that, not saying it isn't a competitor but I will stick with my DJI Products. I have serious doubts about repair or replacement of faulty units. Also the range is less than the P4 and nowhere near that of the P3P/A. Also you shouldn't compare it to the P4 since it does not have obstacle avoidance, this is more of a Phantom 3 Pro competitor with a third of the range.

Autel states they have SecureFly technology to reduce magnetic interference and prevent flyaways. The gimbal can also be removed from the craft.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Tyler 1234
Yeah I saw demunseed's vid a couple days ago. Didn't think it was worth posting, but since we now have this thread, I'll just throw it up here...

Skip ahead to the 2:20 mark to skip the fluff

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Tyler 1234
Here is what I posted yesterday about the Typhoon H:

Let me first say that I am not in the market for a higher end drone. But I do have some observations on the discussion.

I started with a DJI Standard and soon realized what the greater range of the Advanced would bring to the party as well as other upgraded features in the remote and so I decided to upgrade to the Advanced.

But one of the most important things that DJI has that is not mentioned very much is the SDK that allows a third party to offer a wide range of mission solutions. I feel that is a huge plus against the competition that can't be ignored. I REALLY like having Litchi and also like having the six or seven seven other app options to fly autonomous missions. Powerful software options if I want them.

The video above is very nice but I don't see anything about it that is different, that sets it apart from what DJI does already, either directly through the GO app or through a third party one. For that one video I can show a multitude of DJI videos that are just as or more amazing.

The range of hardware add ons available for DJI drones is tremendous and growing and is another major asset for me. Small solutions or improvements that are available because of the number of DJIs that have been sold.

I think that it will be a tough market for Yuneec, but not an impossible one... As an example, GoPro used to dominate the drone camera space... Not so much any more. The manufacturers of drones started offering really great cameras themselves.

In my case, if I were in the market, I would need something truly compelling to convince me that the Typhoon H is a better choice. At this point, I don't see it. Retracting legs and a 360 swiveling camera are both very nice features, but don't make up for the existing features and third party support in the DJI products.

I am sure the Typhoon H will be a very good product when it finally hits the street, but it would not convince me at this point.

My 2 cents.

The same thinking applies to the Autel, but I have to say I it is less attractive to me than the Typhoon... For the same reasons I mentioned on the Typhoon. The Typhoon at least has several features that set it apart from the DJI product. I see very little if anything in the Autel to make it competition at all. It looks more like a higher cost clone of the Phantom 3, both in looks and features.

Calling it competition does not make it competition.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

When they start flying then we can actually compare the birds. Nobody I have seen yet has an answer to lightbridge. Nobody... I like him dissing on the "beer cooler" hahahahahahahahaha. Get a nice kick *** case or a beer cooler. I love the competition it just means better units for everyone. But.. Holy moly the competition has a ways to go to catch up.

Good luck with that, not saying it isn't a competitor but I will stick with my DJI Products. I have serious doubts about repair or replacement of faulty units. Also the range is less than the P4 and nowhere near that of the P3P/A. Also you shouldn't compare it to the P4 since it does not have obstacle avoidance, this is more of a Phantom 3 Pro competitor with a third of the range.
I don't know.. They say it is faster going up than the P4 lol.. So in a straight up race the X star wins.

Cheers all. JV
I am now the unhappy owner of a P4. I wish I'd seen the Autel before I jumped. It's not technology that's gonna kill DJI, it's their appalling customer support.

DJi will be there own downfall. They have an awful customer service and treat customers as cash cows when the truth is, they have an amazing product that with the right service would be the best hands down.

I would take a 1m radius over the cr4p I've gone through with DJi.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
They're as good as they have to be. For every disgruntled customer they probably have 80 happy ones.

Reports of their demise seem a bit premature as they continue to grow.

But that's just my "IMO".

They're as good as they have to be. For every disgruntled customer they probably have 80 happy ones.

Reports of their demise seem a bit premature as they continue to grow.

But that's just my "IMO".

That's probably the best and most honest reply anyone can give when referring to DJi. As with many companies, they are as good as they have to be and at the moment they can get away with treating people very badly but that won't be the case for ever. Other manufacturers are catching up. They want a share of the $10,000,000,000.00 a year DJi turn over and it will happen. There isn't a company on earth who have survived poor service whilst making huge profits without another company coming to take a slice out of them.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
I will keep my DJI stuff .. They have been good to me and continue to be the innovators in this area. I considered an X Star but it doesn't meet my needs.. first and foremost there are no third party apps. (No SDK) That's enough right there to keep me away.

With the release of the Mavic Pro bringing hope that the Phantom 5, not the Phantom 4 Pro, is going to be as an exciting release as the Mavic Pro was, the Autel product has pretty much become a non-contender. I've seen a video where it went out over 3 miles, but still, it is just a copy of the Phantom 3 which is already an old drone to have been copied. They need an Occusync technology of their own or to have it licensed from DJI, and they need sophistication like clip on props like the P4 or even the Mavic Pro. Overall, it is a pretty good bird from what I've been seeing on youtube and forums.

I was going to consider one a few months ago if I had to replace my P4, but everything has changed in the drone world with the Mavic Pro.

With the release of the Mavic Pro bringing hope that the Phantom 5, not the Phantom 4 Pro, is going to be as an exciting release as the Mavic Pro was, the Autel product has pretty much become a non-contender. I've seen a video where it went out over 3 miles, but still, it is just a copy of the Phantom 3 which is already an old drone to have been copied. They need an Occusync technology of their own or to have it licensed from DJI, and they need sophistication like clip on props like the P4 or even the Mavic Pro. Overall, it is a pretty good bird from what I've been seeing on youtube and forums.

I was going to consider one a few months ago if I had to replace my P4, but everything has changed in the drone world with the Mavic Pro.

Why would DJI continue the Phantom line if the Mavic is a hit?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic