A sad day

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 Advanced which I purchase last year, and had much fun with it. I live in Canada, so you can imaginer how much flying I will be doing this year. How about none?
I do hope some intelligence will arise somewhere in Ottawa and take a serious look at the new laws. As they are now, we are all pretty much law breakers.
Last fall I was hired to shoot video of a few vineyards. What a fun project that was. Illegal to do that now, due to people and buildings. How stupid is that? I flew early in the morning before the vineyards opened to the public. But the buildings wouldn't go away. Festered brains in Ottawa.

I thought the new laws were aimed at hobby flyers not those doing commercial work?

Can't you apply for permits/permission?

Until today, I hadn't been on the forum for a good long time and wasn't aware of the new Canadian regulations. I have stated that in my opinion that anyone who flies in a safe, thoughtful and courteous manner is highly unlikely to get into trouble no matter what the regulations say! I assume that it was the vineyard that had hired you. Were the buildings owned by the vineyard or by others. If they belonged to others, then it would probably be easy enough to get the owners' permission by telling them exactly what you wanted to accomplish--and that you wanted to disturb them as little as possible. People today are still fascinated with drones and they would probably be intrigued for you to do the flight--especially if you were to give them a copy of the video, or a cut from it.
As for altitude, I have found that flying my P3P even at the default maximum is often far more than adequate for effective video. As for airports--unless you have one right close by, any airplane flying at your filming altitude would either be in violation of its regulations or in deep trouble!

what's wrong with the rules, they want you to stay away from buildings and crowds (common sense), below a certain altitude and away from airfields?

Sure it means you can't fly over towns and buildings without applying for an exception but why is that an issue? To be honest, flying a quad over any of those areas isn't that smart - what happens if something goes wrong, with 4 motors needed to stay in the air there is no built in redundancy so it's a perfectly reasonable safety concern.

We have similar laws here in the UK and seem to be able find places to fly legally - Canada is a big country, there must be plenty of places to fly.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how rigidly the law is enforced. Hopefully common sense should prevail.
We have similar rules/guidance here in the UK, we have to stay away from people and buildings, not under our control, and I rarely feel the need to go above about 200 feet, I have plenty of flying locations and have never had any hostility to my flying, quite the opposite.
I do accept though that if you and the Vineyard owner are happy, and any people are happy, then fine, should not be illegal.
Do not give in.

I have a Phantom 3 Advanced which I purchase last year, and had much fun with it. I live in Canada, so you can imaginer how much flying I will be doing this year. How about none?
I do hope some intelligence will arise somewhere in Ottawa and take a serious look at the new laws. As they are now, we are all pretty much law breakers.
Last fall I was hired to shoot video of a few vineyards. What a fun project that was. Illegal to do that now, due to people and buildings. How stupid is that? I flew early in the morning before the vineyards opened to the public. But the buildings wouldn't go away. Festered brains in Ottawa.
Actually. As long as you have permission from the land owner and you are below 400 feet on the private property you got permission from. Then there are no laws being broken

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie