A real Game Changer

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Being completely new to this hobby, this is my first RC, and being completely ignorant when it comes to the use of game controllers and button mapping devices, I would've gladly paid $20 or more maybe as high as $50 if a set of plans with required hardware and detailed instructions for the build and tech support when I get in a jam were the offer. That's a viable concept and the buyer gets value for his investment.

Maybe it's a cultural variance, but I think your marketing strategy would have been more successful if it was more in line with customary processes not coming across as a get rich quick scheme ... But this is only my opinion.

You really do have a good idea and you should have the right to decide to share for free or make a buck by providing a service. I think we all would prefer to receive the product or service when paid.

Might be a good idea for this guy to flip the script and start offering this now... full set of plans for $??.00... or even a built unit for those who don't wanna fuss around with such things...

I had a similar situation with the AR Drone... i figured out an antenna hack for the Nexus 7 tablet that would get users way more range without using a repeater and extra power etc... i released then mod to the public right away with multiple forums... people came at me in droves who didn't have the time or the interest in fiddling around with building something... more money than mechanical abilty type people... I made a crapload of money off that deal... paid for my hobby for over a year... paid for my Vision plus as well... wasn't no £20,000 but shoot... flat screen tv... new sound system... new tablet, phone, etc....

There's still some room here for a measure of success from this idea if he wants it... :ugeek:

DBS said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Being completely new to this hobby, this is my first RC, and being completely ignorant when it comes to the use of game controllers and button mapping devices, I would've gladly paid $20 or more maybe as high as $50 if a set of plans with required hardware and detailed instructions for the build and tech support when I get in a jam were the offer. That's a viable concept and the buyer gets value for his investment.

Maybe it's a cultural variance, but I think your marketing strategy would have been more successful if it was more in line with customary processes not coming across as a get rich quick scheme ... But this is only my opinion.

You really do have a good idea and you should have the right to decide to share for free or make a buck by providing a service. I think we all would prefer to receive the product or service when paid.

Might be a good idea for this guy to flip the script and start offering this now... full set of plans for $??.00... or even a built unit for those who don't wanna fuss around with such things...

I had a similar situation with the AR Drone... i figured out an antenna hack for the Nexus 7 tablet that would get users way more range without using a repeater and extra power etc... i released then mod to the public right away with multiple forums... people came at me in droves who didn't have the time or the interest in fiddling around with building something... more money than mechanical abilty type people... I made a crapload of money off that deal... paid for my hobby for over a year... paid for my Vision plus as well... wasn't no £20,000 but shoot... flat screen tv... new sound system... new tablet, phone, etc....

There's still some room here for a measure of success from this idea if he wants it... :ugeek:

Agreed ... And we'll said.

Problem is, within a week those plans will be all over the interwebs for free.....kick should probably offer the install like Big Chuck did....I was a happy customer of his back then. No way I was gonna mutilate my Nexus.... :mrgreen:

I'm obviously missing something here as I don't understand why having the camera controls on a seperate device is that much of an advantage. I realize that the tilt control on the app certainly leaves something to be desired but how would the seperate device improve things? Maybe someone can enlighten me a bit?

Sounds like you didn't watch his video... He mods a game controller into a square box... then the square box easily mounts on the back of the Phantom controller with access to the L1/L2 R1/R2 buttons without taking your thumbs off the flight sticks... works like a champ :ugeek:

I had watched the video but did so again. I see that he does keep his thumbs on the sticks. I'm a thumb/index guy so that wouldn't work so well for me. With that said, however, I can see an advantage IF the tilt control is much smoother than the app.
I can tell by all the enthusiasm that this is a good idea and I'm in favor of new and improved methods.
Could a similar method be used to improve accuracy in picking waypoints in the GS side of the app?

npalen said:
I can see an advantage IF the tilt control is much smoother than the app.

Could a similar method be used to improve accuracy in picking waypoints in the GS side of the app?

All this does is push buttons on the touch screen via the game controller so tilt control on the camera will be exactly the same as using the screen controls...

This will not be a way to pick waypoints... but a bluetooth mouse might be an excellent answer for improved accuracy in picking waypoints... much more precise using the cursor than using a big fat finger... on my Galaxy Note 3 the S-Pen is great for that as well.

lsteigerwalt said:
Has anyone found a free controller mapper for iOS or android that you can suggest?
iOS will be tough, as full control via BT is only available for jailbroken devices.

Apparently there's a specific product called AviToy that claims to communicate with iOS, but there's no guarantee it'll work with the DJI Vision software. In fact, the only review on Amazon says that they couldn't use it with the AR.Drone. Sooo.... that's about as far as we can get for the moment.

I'm sure Android is a bit more open in that regard, but don't have enough experience to give you a definitive answer. Apparently DBS has gotten it to work(?), perhaps he will have more info.

stop being so **** cheap guys a couple bucks for the man that came up with this idea is not asking too much
That being said I'd pay someone to mod my comptroller for me also

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj