A question about hand catching the P3

I've read most of these comments since I posted mine in early August. And I fully understand the need to learn to hand catch, especially if there are nearby children or pets, tall or wet grass, or on a boat.

But I'm surprised at the numerous references to tippy landings. It's super-easy to bring the Phantom down manually or with RTH -- stop the descent, hover a couple of feet off the ground, and land it very softly -- then pull the left stick back to cut the motors. It's smooth as glass.

Or since they fixed the VPS a couple of updates ago, you can just use RTH or auto-land, all other things being good.

I've done two or three landings a day for months, off all types, and never seen anything close to instability.

Fewer hand catches imply less chance for injury, just playing the odds, regardless of skill.

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW
My 8 and 10 year old daughters love to hand catch my P3. I keep reading how people need two hands on the RC to land. Why? Are people not using the correct landing method? Left stick down until it lands and powers off. It takes one hand, hell one finger, to land a P3.

Reactions: acherman
My 8 and 10 year old daughters love to hand catch my P3. I keep reading how people need two hands on the RC to land. Why? Are people not using the correct landing method? Left stick down until it lands and powers off. It takes one hand, hell one finger, to land a P3.

I'm sorry and I mean no offence to you at all, but that picture in my mind is just wrong.
I would much rather see the bird completely destroyed than have a little one's face scared for the rest of their life.
Nothing is safe and percentages have a way of happening, just never with Super Lotto. :)
I hope you were kidding?

Thats crazy ive always hand catched and it is fairly easy but i would never let my kids catch it that is asking for trouble and bloody ludicrus!!

Reactions: brianb87
Every time you want to perform a hand grab, take a stroll in this forum first. Find and read about the blood and cuts and tears that other persons like yourself have already experienced with hand grabs.

I've never seen one. Care to post a link?

I'm sorry and I mean no offence to you at all, but that picture in my mind is just wrong.
I would much rather see the bird completely destroyed than have a little one's face scared for the rest of their life.
Nothing is safe and percentages have a way of happening, just never with Super Lotto. :)
I hope you were kidding?

Safer to just like your post than to actually write what I'm thinking.

Reactions: envisionabove

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic