A question about hand catching the P3

I just started hand catching a few days ago in an open field with no other good option. Once getting over the initial fear its easy as pie. I wish I had done this sooner as I probably would have saved some wear and tear and worrying about where to touch down (sometimes I take off from foam insert in DJI backpack if there is no good launch spot.

I don't know about earlier Ps but my P3 is so agile, I usually land it on the case. But I have heard of tip overs with this method too. .
If ti's like the P2, the left-stick-only shut down should help avoid the tip overs. I have no experience with P3, though. I normally land on a portable landing pad (UAV-BITS).

If ti's like the P2, the left-stick-only shut down should help avoid the tip overs. I have no experience with P3, though. I normally land on a portable landing pad (UAV-BITS).
Its actually worse than the P2 due to the increased power in the motors. They've updated the manual to state throttle down is the best ways to shut off engines.

Reactions: snowghost
I just started hand catching a few days ago in an open field with no other good option.

Be very careful.- Remember if you push it away even slightly the GPS will suddenly tilt the blades toward you. That's where the trouble starts. But if you turn off the GPS (ATTI on) you may have to play "catch me!", which is on fun either.

Reactions: S5S5G6
Be very careful.- Remember if you push it away even slightly the GPS will suddenly tilt the blades toward you. That's where the trouble starts. But if you turn off the GPS (ATTI on) you may have to play "catch me!", which is on fun either.

Nope. Just grab the leg, and flick the left joystick down. You're stronger than the drone, and it's not made out of glass.

You people are crazy.

Reactions: S5S5G6
Its actually worse than the P2 due to the increased power in the motors. They've updated the manual to state throttle down is the best ways to shut off engines.
In that case, it goes back to the old "practice, practice, practice" for landings, which is what I did this morning, running through three batteries in the process. I land at a 45 degree angle to the landing point from about 4 feet up (just over ground effect), and if there is any wind I come in downwind to cancel out the GPS, keeping the props level at touch town.
I found out that the P2 and P2V work with the single stick shut down even though the manual doesn't mention it. The CSC shut down never did work well for me.

In that case, it goes back to the old "practice, practice, practice" for landings, which is what I did this morning, running through three batteries in the process. I land at a 45 degree angle to the landing point from about 4 feet up (just over ground effect), and if there is any wind I come in downwind to cancel out the GPS, keeping the props level at touch town.
I found out that the P2 and P2V work with the single stick shut down even though the manual doesn't mention it. The CSC shut down never did work well for me.
I figured it out on vacation after flying P2s for 6 months. Oh well, only ever broke one prop on a land shutting off motors.

You guys are a bunch of wimps! I hand catch my P3 blind folded! I bring it 5 feet off the ground around 50 feet from me. I then hit full throttle forward and hand catch it blind folded as it flys past me at 35 mph! Once I catch it, I stop the propellers with my tongue! Piece of cake!

Reactions: Reed L and S5S5G6
It is not about being wimp or being stupid, but it does not make sense to limit yourself as to how you land the bird.
Both landing methods should be known, and the method used should be the one that is the most appropriate for the situation.

I use these guidelines:
1. If it can take off from point A, then it can land in point A. I try to find a suitable place. Suitable = at least 2ft by 2ft flat surface. If there are pebbles, I clear them out. If it is grass it is OK as long as it is not too high, in which case I flatten it. If it is a rock, it is good too even if not 100% level.

2. I have my wife catch it in the following situations:
a. When I am boating due to the landing area being too small and not stable
b. When people gather too close to the landing spot, in spite of being politely asked to take a few steps back...
c. When I take off from an angled surface (a hill).
d. When there is a compass error (or other) and I have to land it unexpectedly at a place that does not have a decent landing surface.

From the above it may seem that there are more hand-catches than normal landings, but this isn't the case. Most flights, (more than 90%) are normal landings.
As to always having my wife (or someone else) with me when I am flying - I try to make it point to always have someone, and not just for the landings, but also to be a spotter. If I fly solo, I do it in open fields or places without people.

Reactions: WildEMT
Everyone should learn how to hand catch. If you are ever in a place where somebody has a dog loose, you are going to have to hand catch it just to keep the dog from grabbing it. That is what got me started on hand catching. When I was first getting started, I flew in a park, and when I came into land, a big dog came over and tried to grab it when I had it close to the ground. I had to learn on the spot!

Hand catch is the best way to land, make sure the camera is facing away from you as its makes controlling the phantom less complicated, I keep mine at about 6 feet and grab with my right hand then just hold the throttle with your left thumb, couldn't be easier

Reactions: John Locke
I don't understand your statement. Why say it's purposeless and then say "but" it's dangerous?

I think English is not his native language is all; he DID get his point across fine.

I switched to 100% hand catching - for a few months. Never had an issue myself. But after watching so many youtube videos of the blood pouring from interaction with the blades, I am now a firm believer again in NOT hand catching any more.

Besides, it is a fun challenge to learn to be a better pilot and be able to land softly without any tip overs in all kinds of situations.

What you must protect when hand catching are, your eyes. Long ago when I started R/C heli, and started hand catching, I should wear sunglasses to protect my eyes... but recently I became 50's and need it by another reason. UV light from clear sky. Now I don't feel fear of injuring my eyes to hand catch slightly higher from my head.

Any googles which can display clear FPV, see through and with UV & prop protection...?

<snip>But now I'm thinking, if we can hover well enough to grab the unit in mid-air, shouldn't we be able to hover a couple of feet above the ground and land properly there? Why introduce the potential for personal injury by hand catching?

Just curious ...</snip>
Because there is rotor wash from your blades that hinders any rotor craft when landing. I have hand caught my Phantom for 2 years so far, still have all ten digits. :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Because there is rotor wash from your blades that hinders any rotor craft when landing. I have hand caught my Phantom for 2 years so far, still have all ten digits. :)
So far. Lucky you. There was a news story about a guy at an auto repair shop (Daytona?) who liked to scare people by throwing a match into a bucket of gasoline. He did it for years. No problem! One day a little too much gas evaporated and when he tried the trick the result was an explosion that took out the garage along with the tricky mechanic.Lucky you. So far.

I agree. I've never had a bad P3 landing on pavement, except the first time during an RTH when I didn't realize that the VPS had been corrupted with the latest firmware, and wasn't paying attention. Even then, there was absolutely no damage. Smooth manual landings are easy, fun, and safe! Pulling the left stick back shuts down the engines with no tip-over after landing. I do agree that it's good to have a diverse bag of tricks, including hovering and catching, when doing otherwise might jeopardize a person or the unit.

Last edited:
Lucky me indeed. I am lucky everyday... when I drive in my car, when I go to work, when I walk down the sidewalk, even when I walk out of my door. Most of us are pretty lucky in life. You can worry all the time about stuff, or you can live your life. I choose to live my life assessing the risk as I go. Hand catching my Phantom is waaaaay down on the list of risky things I do in life. To each their own. ;)

Lucky me indeed. I am lucky everyday... when I drive in my car, when I go to work, when I walk down the sidewalk, even when I walk out of my door. Most of us are pretty lucky in life. You can worry all the time about stuff, or you can live your life. I choose to live my life assessing the risk as I go. Hand catching my Phantom is waaaaay down on the list of risky things I do in life. To each their own. ;)

well said, agree 100%

You guys are a bunch of wimps! I hand catch my P3 blind folded! I bring it 5 feet off the ground around 50 feet from me. I then hit full throttle forward and hand catch it blind folded as it flys past me at 35 mph! Once I catch it, I stop the propellers with my tongue! Piece of cake!

[emoji23]

That's pretty rookie. You really want to be doing about 25mph then bank & climb into CSC , then catch your expensive DJI frisbee with one hand under your leg.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl