A question about hand catching the P3

It's real simple guys, if you think hand catching is too dangerous, don't do it. You probably squat to pee too, and have the zipper on the side of your pants instead of the front.;-)

Reactions: snowghost
Curious how many folks who flew other a/c and possibly CP-helis prior to a Phantom land or hand catch.

For me it's the former.

Hand catch is something though I think you should be familiar even if you don't perform it regularly. It's always good to have options.
Never thought about hand catch being cool or sexy.

Reactions: taroh
Everyone to their own method. Problem solved.

yes, live and let live. if you don't like it or approve, move along, nothing for you to see here...

Reactions: tvckz and happydays
The props are not dangerous?!? Tell Julio Iglesias's son :) I was actually wondering why it is allowed to bring the propellers in a plane, it could be use as a serious weapon if spinning...

i believe that was an DJI Inspire...

I always hand catch now. If on land, I hover the P3 and walk towards it. If catching from the stern of my sailboat, I fly the P3 towards me (very slowly and carefully). First hand catch is the hardest, but it really isn't a big deal.

But obviously flying a device with spinning blades that's using sensors made by the lowest bidder in China to stay steady with a range of over 2k that at any minute (if you believe the naysayers) could fly off out of control with the potential to take out an aircraft or maybe plummet at over 40mph into buildings or people is OK.......:rolleyes:

My point is that every time you take to the air there is an element of risk and if for one minute I thought the Phantom (stock Phantom & blades) had the capability of actually amputating my fingers then obviously I would think twice about it.

Thats why my friend you are not supposed to fly them over large groups of people, near buildings and always within line of sight.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but these things have the potential of hurting somewhat if they fall out of the sky at 2K distance or giving you a short back and sides at close quarters ;-)

I haven't got a P3 yet, but I've been so spooked by the stories of how easily the gimbal can be damaged that I'd like to hand catch from day 1.

It seems to me (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there are two possible approaches to doing this:

1) Get it above shoulder height, grab a rear strut with your right hand (if you're right-handed) then with your left thumb, take the throttle control on the transmitter down to zero.

2) Get it above shoulder height then put the transmitter down. Approach the P3, grab the right hand rear strut, and with your thumb, switch it off using the button on the quad itself.

I'm all for the second option, as you've both hands free and you're not distracted by having to do two things at once. But am I missing something?

I almost always hand catch. I bring it to eye level, grab a strut with my right hand, and lock the left joystick downward with the tx in my left hand. I hold it until the props have fully stopped. The set it down, and go through the power down sequence. Never had a problem.

I literally cannot understand how someone could manage to hurt themselves hand catching.

I don't know about earlier Ps but my P3 is so agile, I usually land it on the case. But I have heard of tip overs with this method too. I do have blade guards on when I fly and the catch method looks interesting so like anything else, practice makes perfect. I think I'll try that next time I fly. Thanks for the idea, and the video..

Really, That's s disaster waiting to happen? Both for your phantom and from a liability standpoint.

Really, That's s disaster waiting to happen? Both for your phantom and from a liability standpoint.

Im kidding haha, I do have my girlfriend catch it for me though. Super easy if they just grab both landing gear at the same time, don't ever grab just one though, it will freak out.

I've tried hand catching a couple of times now. I bring it down and just in front of me over my head and walk up to the left of it and after ensuring the drone is hovering stable I reach for the landing gear careful to not touch the gimbal or interfere with VPS.Theres the obvious risk of injury, but if you take it slow and be gentle ,it's easy peasy. If you have any doubts or are not comfortable doing it, I'd say don't do it.

sometimes you have no choice :eek:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Right-handed, and use a lanyard to hold the tx

Lower P3 to about 5' away, 10' up. Walk up to it, grab landing gear with right hand and hold. Use level hand to press the left joystick down to power off motors.

profit

sometimes you have no choice :eek:

Nice save, first one could have been dangerous...

And it could be argued this 'no choice' has been triggered by pilot error...

I like the dive in the muddy puddle though ha ha...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31